meeting cat, may adopt, what to look for?

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi
i am meeting a cat this week, whose elderly owner had to go into a nursing facility

he is 6 yrs old and is described as friendly and playful.

he has a "brother" and "sister" but i already have two cats and can't take all three, sad to see them split up but apparently one of them wouldnt' mind anyway (the female is a loner)

i do not want to adopt a cat with existing health issues, i've just gone thru that twice in a row and couldn't handle the heartache nor the expense right now.

i am not sure how to tell by looking at a cat if he's got any issues. well i know he should have bright eyes, a good coat, and no runny nose etc.

but those are all pretty obvious. i will check his teeth, as a cat with bad teeth will need a dental asap, and may have trouble with other infections, esp UTIs if the teeth are infected (i got a kidney infection once that was traced back to an absessed tooth)

i am concerned also about litter box habits
this boy is neutered but i dont know how old he was when that was done, some cats who have learned to spray already dont give it up when they are neutered.
i cant have that here in an apt.

the vet records will be made available to me, and i will call his old vet to be sure nothing has been diagnosed that i'm not told about.

now the person who has him now, the daughter of the owner, has several dogs and two cats of her own-
so right now she's got 5 cats in her house.

when you come into my house, there is NO cat odor at all.

but with five cats i wouldnt expect this home to be as clean or totally odor free

but if i go in there and there is a strong smell of cat urine, should i just turn around and leave?

how would i which cat might have the problem? or if they all do?

just basically i need to know what to look for.
i'm hoping that the ppl who have him now will be honest but you never know

esp when someone really wants to find a new home for a cat.

they (the owners siblings, i've spoken with the son, who is in charge of his moms affairs) have already tried shelters (no kill) and were turned away

so they could be a bit desperate. they said they will not put the cats to sleep, whew, but still they may be less than honest about any problems he may have

oh! one really good thing, they have agreed that i can take him on a trial basis, and that if all the cats dont get along, i can return him to them.

should i get that in writing?

i would give this cat at least a month to adapt to a new home but if he and my guys dont get along (i mean if there are physical fights not just the usual hiss here and there) then he will have to go back

i've already let them know that the introduction will be slow and told them why

i just want this to work out all around.

any advice or suggestion welcome

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catnapt

hi
i am meeting a cat this week, whose elderly owner had to go into a nursing facility

he is 6 yrs old and is described as friendly and playful.

he has a "brother" and "sister" but i already have two cats and can't take all three, sad to see them split up but apparently one of them wouldnt' mind anyway (the female is a loner)

i do not want to adopt a cat with existing health issues, i've just gone thru that twice in a row and couldn't handle the heartache nor the expense right now.

i am not sure how to tell by looking at a cat if he's got any issues. well i know he should have bright eyes, a good coat, and no runny nose etc.

but those are all pretty obvious. i will check his teeth, as a cat with bad teeth will need a dental asap, and may have trouble with other infections, esp UTIs if the teeth are infected (i got a kidney infection once that was traced back to an absessed tooth)

i am concerned also about litter box habits
this boy is neutered but i dont know how old he was when that was done, some cats who have learned to spray already dont give it up when they are neutered.
i cant have that here in an apt.

the vet records will be made available to me, and i will call his old vet to be sure nothing has been diagnosed that i'm not told about.

now the person who has him now, the daughter of the owner, has several dogs and two cats of her own-
so right now she's got 5 cats in her house.

when you come into my house, there is NO cat odor at all.

but with five cats i wouldnt expect this home to be as clean or totally odor free

but if i go in there and there is a strong smell of cat urine, should i just turn around and leave?

how would i which cat might have the problem? or if they all do?

just basically i need to know what to look for.
i'm hoping that the ppl who have him now will be honest but you never know

esp when someone really wants to find a new home for a cat.

they (the owners siblings, i've spoken with the son, who is in charge of his moms affairs) have already tried shelters (no kill) and were turned away

so they could be a bit desperate. they said they will not put the cats to sleep, whew, but still they may be less than honest about any problems he may have

oh! one really good thing, they have agreed that i can take him on a trial basis, and that if all the cats dont get along, i can return him to them.

should i get that in writing?

i would give this cat at least a month to adapt to a new home but if he and my guys dont get along (i mean if there are physical fights not just the usual hiss here and there) then he will have to go back

i've already let them know that the introduction will be slow and told them why

i just want this to work out all around.

any advice or suggestion welcome
how well they get along will have to do with your introductions and taking it slowly. how old are your cats?

i'm not sure you'll be able to tell if someone sprays, but you'll find out really really quick at your place. definitely get it in writing that it's a trial basis.

i wouldn't necessarily walk out if the place smells....sometimes i come home and the place reeks because someone dropped one. definitely look at the litter box, see if its been cleaned, look and see the overall cleanliness of the box itself, does it look like it's been there for 6 years? urine smell can penetrate a plastic litter box if not kept clean.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is great you are helping the family by homing this cat. I would hope that if something happened to me, my cats would be given a chance to have a life. These relatives are to be commended.

Since you are able to take that cat on a trial basis, I don't think you have much to worry about. You can return him, and I bet if he had an immediate medical problem, this family would pick up the tab. I would not think you need to get the return policy in writing. They obviouisly care about these animals, and would rather have them back, then have you get rid or him on your own. They are being particular, and are probably taking a very close look at you.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do cat adoptions for a foster home network so I may be able to help you.

It is true that most shelters will not accept owner give-ups, no matter how legitimate the need is, so it is very good of you to consider taking in one of the cats.

I would not worry about the smell at the house you will visit. The cat you will adopt cannot help if his foster home is stinky LOL. If he has good hygiene he will maintain in the worst of situations.

You are completely within your right to let them know up front that you want to adopt a healthy normal well-behaved cat, not a pee cat or a cat that won't get along with your cats. I think you should ask them if he experienced any litter box problems transitioning to their house. If he did not and then if he does at your house, that could be a warning sign that things are not ok at your house. Ask them how he did transition, what was he like at first, and how long did it take for him to open up?

And I do think you should ask them to put in writing that you have a trial period of at least a month to make sure this cat gets along with your cats.

If I were you I would ask the people about his personality, whether he is a get-along-with-everyone cat, or shy, or dominant. Also find out if he is a lap cat, a cuddler, or if he is high energy, or a little of both. Does he get along better with people or does he get along better with the other cats? Or both?

If they know how he likes to be petted, they should show you. They need to tell you if he likes to be held and if so, how does he like to be held. Does he like his belly rubbed? What are his favorite toys and games? Does he fetch? Does he chase string?

They should be able to tell you if he is good natured, if he hides, if he defers to the other cats, if he is ok being lower on the pecking order, or if he slaps the other cats around to get his own way (no offense, just getting what he wants LOL).

Assuming this cat is not a pee cat and is healthy, the thing you need to figure out is, what are the personalities of your cats? This will tell you a lot about what sort of new cat will fit with yours.

Definitely give them time to adjust. You probably already know to put the new cat in a separate room and be sure to give your cats lots of attention. The best way to get them all acquainted is to make sure and give your cats and the new cat treats when they smell each other, and also to do play sessions with them and your new cat together. This leaves them with positive reinforcement and happy feelings whenever they see, smell, or think about the new cat they are meeting.

The behaviors you want to watch out for would be along the lines of the new cat swiping at one of your cats over a treat. Or if your cats became territorial about the litter box and would not let this kitty use it. This is territory and dominating behavior and you will need to watch carefully to see whether the cats can adjust to it, or whether there is ongoing stress.

My male cat started leaving his poo uncovered in the litter box when we brought in a new cat. This is a way of claiming territory. But he got over it after a few weeks because the new kitty showed respect and love. But I have had dominant foster cats that just asserted themselves over my cats to no end, to the point where I had to keep them separate. You need to watch for this behavior.

Use Feliway to keep their moods happy. It is a happy cat pheremone.

For the new kitty, don't leave with him unless they give you samples of his food, details of when he eats, what he eats, and how much. Also find out what litter he is accustomed to, and whether his litter box is open or closed. Have them give you his favorite toys and if he has his own bedding or blanket, make them give that to you as well, including if he has any furtniture that is his alone. This will greatly ease his transition into your house and will reduce the chances of him eliminating improperly or showing other signs of stress. Cats are creatures of habit and structure, and the more you observe his structure at least initially, the better everything will be.

Definitely allow time for him to adjust. Putting him in a separate room is to give HIM a space to feel safe in, and when you enter the space you are invading his safety. Avoid direct eye contact at first, until he is comfortable, since that is a challenge. Dilated pupils in any of your cats is an indication of fear and/or readiness to attack.

If he is really well adjusted, these areas above will not be an issue. But if he is sort of shy, it is important to give him his space and use play therapy to bring him around.

If it does not work out, indeed it is best for everyone that he goes back. It sounds like these people are dedicated to finding the kitties a really good match, as are you. You should be blessed for your goodness to think about taking in a homeless boy. Let me know if you have any other questions I did not cover.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The person above me said that you don't need in writing about the trial period. I also had the feeling that these people are looking for a good home and would probably take the cat back if it did not work out.

In writing is something I always advocate just so there is no misunderstanding, but my inclination is the same as the other person's.

I also agree with gailuvscats that they will be looking hard at you to make sure you will be a good home, just as you are looking at them :-).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

I do cat adoptions for a foster home network so I may be able to help you.

It is true that most shelters will not accept owner give-ups, no matter how legitimate the need is, so it is very good of you to consider taking in one of the cats.

I would not worry about the smell at the house you will visit. The cat you will adopt cannot help if his foster home is stinky LOL. If he has good hygiene he will maintain in the worst of situations.

You are completely within your right to let them know up front that you want to adopt a healthy normal well-behaved cat, not a pee cat or a cat that won't get along with your cats. I think you should ask them if he experienced any litter box problems transitioning to their house. If he did not and then if he does at your house, that could be a warning sign that things are not ok at your house. Ask them how he did transition, what was he like at first, and how long did it take for him to open up?

And I do think you should ask them to put in writing that you have a trial period of at least a month to make sure this cat gets along with your cats.

If I were you I would ask the people about his personality, whether he is a get-along-with-everyone cat, or shy, or dominant. Also find out if he is a lap cat, a cuddler, or if he is high energy, or a little of both. Does he get along better with people or does he get along better with the other cats? Or both?

If they know how he likes to be petted, they should show you. They need to tell you if he likes to be held and if so, how does he like to be held. Does he like his belly rubbed? What are his favorite toys and games? Does he fetch? Does he chase string?

They should be able to tell you if he is good natured, if he hides, if he defers to the other cats, if he is ok being lower on the pecking order, or if he slaps the other cats around to get his own way (no offense, just getting what he wants LOL).

Assuming this cat is not a pee cat and is healthy, the thing you need to figure out is, what are the personalities of your cats? This will tell you a lot about what sort of new cat will fit with yours.

Definitely give them time to adjust. You probably already know to put the new cat in a separate room and be sure to give your cats lots of attention. The best way to get them all acquainted is to make sure and give your cats and the new cat treats when they smell each other, and also to do play sessions with them and your new cat together. This leaves them with positive reinforcement and happy feelings whenever they see, smell, or think about the new cat they are meeting.

The behaviors you want to watch out for would be along the lines of the new cat swiping at one of your cats over a treat. Or if your cats became territorial about the litter box and would not let this kitty use it. This is territory and dominating behavior and you will need to watch carefully to see whether the cats can adjust to it, or whether there is ongoing stress.

My male cat started leaving his poo uncovered in the litter box when we brought in a new cat. This is a way of claiming territory. But he got over it after a few weeks because the new kitty showed respect and love. But I have had dominant foster cats that just asserted themselves over my cats to no end, to the point where I had to keep them separate. You need to watch for this behavior.

Use Feliway to keep their moods happy. It is a happy cat pheremone.

For the new kitty, don't leave with him unless they give you samples of his food, details of when he eats, what he eats, and how much. Also find out what litter he is accustomed to, and whether his litter box is open or closed. Have them give you his favorite toys and if he has his own bedding or blanket, make them give that to you as well, including if he has any furtniture that is his alone. This will greatly ease his transition into your house and will reduce the chances of him eliminating improperly or showing other signs of stress. Cats are creatures of habit and structure, and the more you observe his structure at least initially, the better everything will be.

Definitely allow time for him to adjust. Putting him in a separate room is to give HIM a space to feel safe in, and when you enter the space you are invading his safety. Avoid direct eye contact at first, until he is comfortable, since that is a challenge. Dilated pupils in any of your cats is an indication of fear and/or readiness to attack.

If he is really well adjusted, these areas above will not be an issue. But if he is sort of shy, it is important to give him his space and use play therapy to bring him around.

If it does not work out, indeed it is best for everyone that he goes back. It sounds like these people are dedicated to finding the kitties a really good match, as are you. You should be blessed for your goodness to think about taking in a homeless boy. Let me know if you have any other questions I did not cover.
THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!!

you've all made me a bit more relaxed about this process

i do know the right way to introduce cats, luckily, having done it wrong a few times and then doing it right the next two times, i have seen first hand the difference it makes

i even told the "foster mom" (she is the daughter of the lady who is now in a home) that i would be going slowly and would not take him home the day i met him,
because if i decide to adopt him, i am going to want to get his scent on a small towel to bring back for my guys to sniff (because there are so many animals in the house where he is now, i want to try to only get his scent)

thanks Barb for all the detailed ideas, you mentioned a few i hadnt thought of...

i dont feel like i am doing anything special for this cat, truthfully, i was looking for a new cat, and a certain kind of cat, one who would like playing with another cat....
and this guy's description sounds good- friendly and playful.
i have asked if he likes to play with other cats and was told that he gets along with everyone, i am hoping they mean every other cat, and not just every person he meets LOL

i have seen my cats with other cats, and this is what i can tell you about them:

my girl Nell loves to watch other cats, she does not play with them hardly at all, but she doesnt play much by herself either (nor with me)

if a person and a cat walked into a room at the same time, she would focus on the cat and not the person

she is the top cat now, and the one i've had the longest (she is 9)
she will definately want any new cat to know she was here first. she will want to be sure that he respects her position in the family, after that she'll probably want to watch him and then work up to maybe playing chase with him.

my boy sheldon, he is 4 and has been here about 2 1/2 yrs-
he likes cats more than most people, *except* he is totally in love with *me*
and loves to be held, cuddled and sleeps on my head (no kidding) total love bug

but he gets bored, and would like to have another cat to play with

he has liked every cat he's been with, my daughters cat, my last cat who just died in March, even a cat he just met - he wanted to play with him (the other cat wasnt going for it tho)
he's not at all shy about approaching them to play. he just seems to expect that every cat will like him

now Sheldon, he gets jealous if pay too much attention to anohter cat (he was terribly jealous of my old girl Mickie , she was nearly 20 yrs old when she died in March, and the last two years of her life she was quite sick and needed an enormous amt of attention and care, and he wasnt too thrilled with that

he would start knocking things off of my desk or dresser to let me know when he was upset
(and he'd look right at me to be sure i noticed LOL)

so i cant have a cat who clings to me too much, of course i want a cat i can pet and brush and spend time with, but it cant be a clingy cat, as that is what sheldon is, my clingy boy

OH yeh good thing you mentioned the litter box!! when sheldon first came to live with me, he didnt want any other cat to use the litter boxes, he claimed all of them!!!
he would chase the other cats out!

i had to keep the litterboxes in different rooms at different ends of hte house

fortunatly i have a very large apt!!
he was only about 2 yrs old then so hopefully that was part of the problem , just being a silly teenager
he doesnt do that anymore
but ill have to watch what happens with a new boy in the house

well i have a lot to think about, thanks so much!!

i'll let you know how it goes, i should be meeting him this wednesday

and if i think of anything else, i'll post it