Ferris and his strange fur growth pattern

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In advance of Ferris' lion cut, I thought I'd try to take a pic to show you how his fur grows. Please forgive the squiggly lines, but I'm not used to using MS Paint.

The fur is ridiculously long and fluffly on his tail, back of his legs and belly, and on his ruff, of course, but there is a weird short patch on his rear haunches that is sandwiched between what seems to be a fluffy-edged saddle, matching the shorter fur on his back and shoulders.

The fur fringe that edges the "saddle" is outrageously fluffy and wavy and sticks out from behind his front legs when he crouches like a strange set of fur wings.

His belly fur is the longest and waviest, and this is what is getting matted underneath. He's going to look SO different after his haircut!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hehehe great pic

I still can't get over how big he is.... in your sig he looks like a little boy!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so handsome!

I still remember one of your sigs with him in it when he was just a "wee" thing. His tail looked so long and "fluffy" that it appaered to be as large or larger than his body was. hehe

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a handsome boy! His areas of fur growth correspond to the differences I can see on Radar, he's a shorthair but he has much longer hairs on his belly and the backs of his legs, and shorter on his back and over the big muscles of his hind legs. In the areas where it's longer, it seems to be the underhairs that are longer, rather than the top hairs (not sure of the appropriate terminology!) so it looks like he's wearing very soft fluffy bloomers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Hehehe great pic

I still can't get over how big he is.... in your sig he looks like a little boy!
He's twice as big as Penny and looks like Ginger's big brother when they sit near each other to look out the window, towering over her. But he IS a little boy still. He's just turned 1 year old. And he cries like a baby kitten when he wants my attention, lol.

Baby face, you got the cutest little...

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ferris is just stunning. Even if he does have a strange fur-growth pattern.
I love orange fluff-balls, and Ferris is probably one of the most beautiful ones I've seen in a long time.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a stunning boy, weird hair or no!

I've noticed a similar pattern on Stanley who's a longish-medium hair...very long on the belly, getting longer every day on the ruff, very long on the tail and kind of shortish where his hips and belly meet. Stan is just a year old and I'm expecting his ruff and tail will continue to get fluffier...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got the same thing going on with Scratch.

I'm still very much in love with Ferris. I just want to pet him and give him tons of love.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful!

Alley had the same growth pattern but for some reason she never matted. She had the most "non-tangling" fur I've ever seen on a cat!

Can't wait to see Ferris with his new haircut

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Betsy that was such a beautiful picture of that handsome darling & you drew all over it!!!

God he is soooooo gorgeous!

See that spot on top of his head right between his ears? That's where he lets me kiss him, now.

I still can't get over how lucky I am to have found that boy on Petfinder - or how far he has come from being that terrified little feral kitten!!! Gosh, I love that boy.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

See that spot on top of his head right between his ears? That's where he lets me kiss him, now.

I still can't get over how lucky I am to have found that boy on Petfinder - or how far he has come from being that terrified little feral kitten!!! Gosh, I love that boy.
I love his little orange M....Louie has a black M.... He is so handsome.... You are lucky to have him, and he is equally as lucky to have you.... I don't know if I could've been as patient as you were.... and that is exactly what he needed...
I love all my cats, but Louie.....
My heart aches from loving him.... I feel like I could just burst at the seams.... And he is not even all about Momma anymore.... he is now a confirmed daddy's boy. But until he was about 6-7 mos old, he was glued to me & SO affectionate & sweet.... Leo is such a brat....
He's only lovey at 3am!
Hey, I'll take it whenever I can get it!