She Has Fleas! & Ear Mites!

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zoe has fleas! We just recently discovered this. I'm sure several of our cats do (all outside cats) but it doesn't seem to bug them much. Anyway, I found one live one on her this morning and 2 dead ones in my bed. (Must have rolled over and squished them in my sleep!
)
My question is.... vet, or home treatment? I am going to buy Frontline either tomorrow or Tuesday, whenever we get to town, and treat her for the fleas. Do they sell over-the-counter earmite treatments? Should I get that? Or should I call the vet and schedule an appointment and spend $100 more for what I can do myself? If I can do it myself, that's my question. We treat all of our dogs ourselves, so anyway... Advice? Also, what is a good ear mite solution?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet as I do beleive they have a flea and mite killer in one

faustmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As having ALL to recently bought an over the counter flea treatment and then having to spend hundred of dollars having my cat treated for the resulting seizures. I have now decided NOTHING is worth not buying from the vet. Our vet suggested frontline, and as far as ear myte treatment I know they have over the counter, but I wouldn't trust not buying that from the vet either.

Just a personal choice considering our recent drama.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have already decided on Frontline as our flea treatment, we'll be picking that up next time we're in town. I think I'll call the vet and just have her recommend a mite treatment. I'll have her show me how to use it and we'll get that from the vet's. Frontline we can get from a Vet Pharmacy place in town.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is a link that has many holistic remedies for ear mites:
One person just used plain Aloe Vera and in three days it was gone.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=5&gl=us

For fleas, I use a small spray bottle of apple cider vinegar and whenever I see scratching, the cats get a couple of squirts. They are inside cats; but, the dog goes outside--about once a week I put a drop or two of Tea Tree the same place where the Frontline goes-back of neck, on his back near the tail. I don't see any scratching anymore. DO NOT PUT Tea Tree on the cats, Tea Tree is poison to cats but not the dog.

I don't use Frontline Plus anymore...
1. The fleas are getting immune (dog)
2. My cats hate it

If anyone knows a dog with severe mange, see the above link at earthclinic----they have a Borax and vinegar recipe that gets sponged onto the dog and it kills the mange immediately.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say vet deffinately, I tried the at home treatment because it was vet reccommended...I like to use natural stuff on my anmials and I chose to try this product out and it made a bald spot on my beautiful cat...terrible I will never use the product again nor the vet!!! I like frontline and will be sticking with it from now on!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, try Revolution!!! It's a spot-on treatment like Frontline, but it treats ear mites, internal parasites, and fleas at once!!! Check with your vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon with Dr. Blach. He's our horse vet, but he's good, and College Garden Clinic seems to just want your money and they don't seem like they are really, really good. And I trust Dr. Blach, so we'll see how he is with our kitty. We'll see about Revolution, thank-you for the suggestion! I'll ask our vet what he thinks is best.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Revolution (from the vet of course) on Bijou and Advantage on Mika. Mika is a tiny little princess and seemed to have a bit of a reaction to the Revolution, thus the change.

Home remedies and over-the-counter products don't always do the job and unless you know what you are doing, it can be downright dangerous. I could be wrong, but I think it's easier to do harm to a cat than a dog by diagnosing and treating one's animals oneself. Naturally if it's a smaller dog then the harm could be greater - but that's just my opinion.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

We have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon with Dr. Blach. He's our horse vet, but he's good, and College Garden Clinic seems to just want your money and they don't seem like they are really, really good. And I trust Dr. Blach, so we'll see how he is with our kitty. We'll see about Revolution, thank-you for the suggestion! I'll ask our vet what he thinks is best.
If your cats have fleas AND earmites, why would you go with Frontline Plus and then have to pay to treat for mites in addition, when you can just use Revolution and treat both with one med? I try and stick to the least amount of different meds as possible so just ask the vet for Revolution which kills fleas and flea eggs (as well as worms) and also kills ear mites. I am going to pick some up tomorrow because I have a kitten with lice, which Revolution also kills.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

If your cats have fleas AND earmites, why would you go with Frontline Plus and then have to pay to treat for mites in addition, when you can just use Revolution and treat both with one med? I try and stick to the least amount of different meds as possible so just ask the vet for Revolution which kills fleas and flea eggs (as well as ticks) and also kills ear mites. I am going to pick some up tomorrow because I have a kitten with lice, which Revolution also kills.
I agree that Revolution would be a good solution for you with the fleas and earmites. I don't know that I agree with it killing ticks though. I'd check that out first.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree that Revolution would be a good solution for you with the fleas and earmites. I don't know that I agree with it killing ticks though. I'd check that out first.
WORMS, I meant to say worms, I edited my last post with the correct info.

coriona_vanord

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah they sell it,alot of variety too. I've used a few different ones and found R-7 works pretty well,it comes in a good size bottle as well for only about $6-$10 depending on where you go, it also breaks down the black deposits the ear mights leave behind, that combined with regular cleaning should clear up in no time.

coriona_vanord

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh p.s- Revolution also kills ticks including deer ticks (not sure where you live) no interaction with any ear mite solution but it doesn't kill ear mites. It also helps repel mosquitoes.