Is this Bengal legit?

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the future I am looking to buy a Bengal, I need a little input from some of you "Bengal Experts" out there. So far ive heard that its almost impossible to get a kitten under 12 weeks and also that it will cost a ton. I was searching this petfinder website and I found a Bengal that they are willing to give away at 8 weeks, for 100 dollars. Now to me this looks like a pretty awesome looking Bengal. I was wondering if this Bengal looks legit, and if this is a good deal.

But keep in mind.....I am NOT looking to buy this cat, i'm hoping to find a great deal like this in the future and im wondering if its worth it.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8579390

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awefully young but the reason is that it is probably an orphan. The fact that it is a rescue is why it is cheaper too. I am all for rescuing over buying from a breeder (no offense) but especially since you said you didn't want to pay a fortune for one, rescuing is really your only option for the price you are looking for. It looks like a Bengal to me, but check out the rest of the litter too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty cat .... Bengal maybe but not likely as very few purebreed kittens that young end up in shelters... That kitty should STILL be with MOMMY .... plus they are suggesting allowing someone to adopt at 6-8 weeks this is not a good thing... Yes rescues often will let you take home a 8 week old but NOT A 6WEEK

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Despite this being a breeder forum, yes, most places on Petfinder(I hesitate to say all because I do not know all) are legit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I dont exactly agree with letting someone adopt at 6 weeks, 10 weeks maybe. It clearly says "Bengal" and not Bengal mix , but im just checking!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some places assume a cat is a Bengal as well. IMO, it's only a Bengal if there are papers.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Yeah I dont exactly agree with letting someone adopt at 6 weeks, 10 weeks maybe. It clearly says "Bengal" and not Bengal mix , but im just checking!
I would contact and get more info ... just type in Bengal on petfinder and you will find a bunch of spotted cats that are DSH tabbies ... another to put in is russian blue ... Rescues dont often know breeds and often a pointed cat is Siamese , a blue one is a Russian blue and a heavy spotted one is a Bengal

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohh, thats something to keep in mind, I never thought that a Bengal needed papers.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ohh, thats something to keep in mind, I never thought that a Bengal needed papers.
Purebred cats come with papers. Now, many Bengals end up in rescues or shelters without papers, that doesn't NOT make them a bengal.

I guess, what I'm getting at, is if you want a "for sure" purebred Bengal, then it would need papers. You could be getting a Bengal mix off petfinder.

Did that make sense?

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It makes sense, honestly, if it says Bengal on petfinder and it doesnt have papers, in the future, and looks like that kitten I wouldnt mind, even if it was a mix...thats the look im going for.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen a few purebred Bengal's on Petfinder, but not many. The one's I have seen, always say it'a a purebred Bengal, and they usually have the papers with the cat, and they do charge more even at Petfinder for a purebred Bengal. Now, they don't charge even close to breeder fee's, but the Bengal's I've seen, that say they are purebreds, are usually about a hundred to a hundred and fifty more. If this kitten were a purebred, I believe they would SAY it was, and the fee would not be a hundred dollars, but more like Three hundred.

The kitten does have black paws like a Bengal, it looks more striped like a tabby to me, although it's hard to see the kittens body. Usually little kittens like that are starting to go into their fuzzy ugly stage, and their spots or marbled markings are kind of dull. The kitten has a spotted tummy, but a lot of regular tabby's have spotted tummy's. Truthfully to me, it' doesn't look like a Bengal, but a regular dsh, tabby. It's cute as can be, though.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really? it doesnt look like a bengal? Wow, sure fooled me. If I couldnt ever get ahold of a bengal myself id feel pretty good having a little kitten like that even with me knowing its not a bengal. I googled dsh tabby and saw some of the kittens, that kitten I linked doesnt really look like any of those but hey, what do I know.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had a look on the animals available for adoption on the All Gods Creatures website, beside the kitten they have 2 adult cats that they claim are Bengals, and there is NO WAY those adult cats are Bengals. They also have a Pomerainian dog they claim is a Pomeranian, and that dog, is probably a Pomeranian mix, but is not a Pomeranian. I think their Persian cat up for adoption is a pure bred Persian and the Standard Poodle they have up for adoption is a purebred Poodle, and one of the Abrabian horses is probably a real Abrabian, but the other animals are just called what ever breed they think they look closest to. It would be almost unbelievable if there was a purebred Bengal available for $100, even from a Backyard Breeder.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Really? it doesnt look like a bengal? Wow, sure fooled me. If I couldnt ever get ahold of a bengal myself id feel pretty good having a little kitten like that even with me knowing its not a bengal. I googled dsh tabby and saw some of the kittens, that kitten I linked doesnt really look like any of those but hey, what do I know.
Well, that's just my opinion. I have 2 Bengals, but I'm no expert on the babies that young. I got my Bengal Boy at 3 months. It's pretty hard to tell, but to me, tiny Bengal kittens have their own unique look about them. Kai Bengal's has a thread on the Breeders section called The Silver Chronicals. There he shows his Bengal Babies from like a month of age on up. Check it out. Those are definite purebred Bengals, and you'll have an idea what an infant Bengal looks like.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, your right, those 2 cats that they claim are Bengals are not Bengals at all! Its laughable! The little kitten doesnt look like those 2 cats to me, but im not sure how much that little kitten's fur would change when its adult (as in im not sure if it would turn out to look like those other "Bengals").

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. You can often never tell from Petfinder. I mean, a lot of those cats are strays with unknown heritage. There truly is no way to know what exactly is in the bloodlines.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well go to the 3rd and 4th pages of The Silver Chronicals and you'll get an idea of what young Bengals look like. He also has pictures spread out through the entire thread, from right after birth up to the age where they were adopted.

With this kitten you would really need to see the kittens coat and markings and they're not shown in that Petfinder picture, but I assure you that every Purebred Bengal at the Petfinder site, I've seen, does make it very clear that it's a purebred Bengal.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh I checked out the silver chronicals, im going to explode from so much cuteness >_< haha

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, Nial has some stunning Bengals. If you want to see his cattery and all of his cats, just click on his signature and it will take you to his Web page, and you can see all of his beautiful Bengals. About 4 years ago or so, when I decided I wanted a Bengal, his website was one of the places I went, and just seeing his Bengals made me fall in love with the breed. I would check his site out regularly to see any new kittens or any news going on with his cattery. In those days his cattery was in Hawaii, and he was not a member of TCS. When he joined TCS, I kind of felt like we had a famous star here. Anyway, I ended up buying a Bengal from a local cattery here in Los Angeles, and little did I know I would end up with one of his Bengals in my own home a couple of years later.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little information about Weatherford TX in general. This is a very "rich" community. It is the cutting horse capital of the world. Bengals are often used as "barn Cats" in these upper class facilities. Can't just have moggies you know with the 100,000 to 300,000 dollar horses. I would't doubt they have purebred bengals in a rescue there.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but that is just the nature of the area. So in my opinion this very well could be a purebred Bengal kitten, and ist certainly looks like an orphan. I doubt however it has any papers with it and the quality of the parents would be in question.

If you are just wanting a Bengal for the "looks' of the cat then by all means go this route. To read what you wrote " Really? it doesnt look like a bengal? Wow, sure fooled me. If I couldnt ever get ahold of a bengal myself id feel pretty good having a little kitten like that even with me knowing its not a bengal" set off a little red flag for me.

This is because you have continually talked about looks, but not about personality. Do you want a really active cat? Ask any of the Bengal owners on this thread about the activity levels of these cats. I am hoping you have researched this as much as you have the looks of this Breed.

Most purebred Begals end up in rescues because people think they are beautiful, however they do not research the personalities of these cats. Just like a JRT or Border Collie is not the dog for everyone, Bengal cats ( no matter how beautiful) are not cats for every person.