Can I get some "live kittens" vibes?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something's going through the shelter kittens here. We've only lost two so far(one for sure, the other should have passed by now), knock on wood. But, there are 44 kittens at our facility who are potentially infected with "the unknown". My hands are bloody from bleaching them(yes, straight bleach) in between cleaning each cage. I've never vaccinated so many kittens before at once!

Can I get some mega vibes for those babies? Most are only 6 weeks old.
No kitten adoptions for at least a week & no public is allowed in the cat room.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow - wonder what it is????? And why are you not using rubber gloves with the bleach??????

Hope you find whatever caused it and the babies bounce back quickly.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, Natalie thats awful, I hope they all recover from whatever this is quickly!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh yes, many many vibes coming to your little darlins!
Earlier this year, feline distemper went through our shelter -- I only found out when I showed up to volunteer one day and found the kitten room almost empty. The silence was just heartbreaking.

Please may that not happen to you...

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How horrible, my
goes out to you and the kittens.... Maia and I will be praying for the best. It's not fare that such innocent lives are challenged with any suffering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GK, we are very pushy about washing hands between each & every cage, even if you just stick one finger in the cage. I really think we've been good enough that no other kittens will fall ill. But, we have no idea if it's genetic, or distemper, or something else. So, we are being overly cautious to try to save as many lives as possible.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not pan luk..If so you are in some serious trouble. I will pray for your kittens.

We haven't had our yearly outbreak yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Of course today I signed off at least 20 kittens because they are unweaned and noone to take care of them. ( oddly enough we had no nursing mothers or that's where they would have went. )

The end of kitten season can't come soon enough, and it's just started.

Spay and neuter people.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use aseptic technique and latex gloves, you shouldn't have to wash your hands with straight bleach!!!!!!!
Why does your clinic operate that way? There are plenty of medical surgical cleansers that are gentle on your hands AND more effective than bleach at killing stuff.

Anyway, I'm sending vibes to the babies... poor things!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to be allergic to everything. Everyone else is wearing latex gloves. I can't. I figure, I know what happens if I use bleach....I might as well use that & be prepared to treat my hands when I get home. I'm trying to decide how well a pair of basic "cleaning gloves" can be disinfected. If they can be dipped in bleach & disinfected well, I will use those.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They make polyurethane gloves. Have you tried those?

How about chlorhexidine surgical hand scrub? It makes my hands a little red, but not as bad as bleach does. Your clinic should have that on hand, anyway...

You shouldn't be reusing gloves, even if you can disinfect them. They do make hypoallergenic surgical gloves for medical use. They usually come in fun colors, too.

(I'm sure you know this, or at least there is some reason these things aren't being done, but if not, I'm very shocked... that just seems very shady. Of course, I come out of human medicine, which has much higher standards than animal medicine I've found. I worked and volunteered in more than one clinic and I've been appalled at their technique and practices....)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

They make polyurethane gloves. Have you tried those?

How about chlorhexidine surgical hand scrub? It makes my hands a little red, but not as bad as bleach does. Your clinic should have that on hand, anyway...

You shouldn't be reusing gloves, even if you can disinfect them. They do make hypoallergenic surgical gloves for medical use. They usually come in fun colors, too.

(I'm sure you know this, or at least there is some reason these things aren't being done, but if not, I'm very shocked... that just seems very shady. Of course, I come out of human medicine, which has much higher standards than animal medicine I've found. I worked and volunteered in more than one clinic and I've been appalled at their technique and practices....)
I dunno. I was given orders & followed them. I know there are other cleansers, but the Humane Society is broke as is. I figure, for me, bleach works. GLatex gloves are to be changed between each cage.

Heck, I'm paying for everything for Figaro because there honestly isn't funds to care for him!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what about purell ... rubbing alchol ... hydrogen porxide?? ... triclosen?? this is now common in thing s OTC ....

I am sending extra prayers...