Feliway question

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plugged the one at home in 48 hours ago and just plugged one in at mom's. For those who had success-How long did it take to see results?

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just plugged a fresh one in this evening, and my kitties were noticably calmer within a few hours. Good luck with the Feliway!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It took a full 24 hours for the "full effect" to kick in for Ophelia.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I set them up at opposite ends of the house two weeks before adopting Ferris and one week before bringing Penny home. The directions say two weeks, but I think that the pheromones start getting into the air pretty much right away.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have them set up thoughout the house and I would say I noticed a difference within 24 to 48 hours.

I will say that when I run out I can tell by the way the cats start acting right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so excited to hear how fast it has worked for you all. I only have one diffuser at mom's right now but I sprayed some areas Connor hides. I wan't wait to see them today & I hope I do see some changes. This week I will beable to see if it worked for Lucky. He was getting depressed with the moving boxes out. I am going to back some more this week.

calamintha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience the diffuser works much better than the spray. I saw little if any effect from the spray but the diffuser works well to calm my one nervous kitty.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Mom said that Connor was acting differently this morning. She said it was almost like he was on catnip. She isn't sure if he was happy or nuts. LoL

sweetnsassy36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
I was reading this thread and I have no idea what Feliway is?
Could someone please tell me?
Thanks

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sweetnsassy36

Hello
I was reading this thread and I have no idea what Feliway is?
Could someone please tell me?
Thanks
it's a pheromone that has a dispenser you plug into the wall like those oil air fresheners. helps the cats be calm & get along with each other.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Connor stopped hiding in the coat closet. The diffuser is on the other side of it and I was spraying in the closet (when he wasn't in there).
I think there is hope for him yet. Now if Mom would just remember to spray the basement.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know something? I got 4 of them for my new house to calm the cats when we moved them and they didn't seem to work at all. Twig was freaking out and the girls were hiding under the bed for about three days. The only one who the move didn't have an effect on was Rocket who couldn't have cared less where he was as long as someone was giving him attention.
I personally didn't think they were worth the money. But I guess we will see when they completely run out if the cats personalities change in anyway, but from what I see now, I seriously doubt they will.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used it twice now for nervous kitties. First time was Lily, who was constantly hiding. We went away for a weekend, and bought the diffusers to run from when we went away, and she was much more outgoing once we got home. She came out of hiding so much more, and that was the start of her becoming more outgoing.

The second time was with our stray that we were trying to rehome, and within a couple of hours of plugging in, he noticeably relaxed and was much more at ease with us.

I imagine it works with come cats, but not others.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway is amazing. I got the stuff for Connor but I think he is beyond help. Poor little guy. Molly always adjust well. This time she adjusted too well and is back to her old(good) habits. Lucky isn't emotional or hiding this time. He isn't quite himself but a lot better than when he came to visit for a week. Benson is excited & running up/down the stairs. He hasn't found his own spot yet or eaten any can food. He does chow down on the multiple dishes of dry food
. Overall I highly recommend this product. I really think it's worth the money to try it out. I didn't buy any refills in case it didn't work.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have more questions about this product. I have two younger cats and they are making my older cat a bit edgy and intimidated (the two younger ones are bengals, so you can imagine how that is!) Anyway, there are some power struggles going on now as the bengals enter adulthood, as well as the girl bengal wanting to play with the older cat, which the older cat interprets as being chased. So, I thought this product might be worth trying. However, do I have to be concerned that it will have some effect on my cat's playfulness? I certainly don't want the bengals to get mellow - what would be the point of having that breed if they didn't act like their breed! Or will it just help them all get along?

Thanks for the info. I looked at the FAQs on the Feliway site and they didn't address this.

Kristi

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

I have more questions about this product. I have two younger cats and they are making my older cat a bit edgy and intimidated (the two younger ones are bengals, so you can imagine how that is!) Anyway, there are some power struggles going on now as the bengals enter adulthood, as well as the girl bengal wanting to play with the older cat, which the older cat interprets as being chased. So, I thought this product might be worth trying. However, do I have to be concerned that it will have some effect on my cat's playfulness? I certainly don't want the bengals to get mellow - what would be the point of having that breed if they didn't act like their breed! Or will it just help them all get along?

Thanks for the info. I looked at the FAQs on the Feliway site and they didn't address this.

Kristi
I never owned a Bengal but our DSH kitten became more affectionate and playful since we started the feliway. Have you tried asking members who do have bengals? Gingersmom & Hope adopted one from Kai Bengals(Nial).
Siggav has a Bengal also.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, I have used feliway with Nikita and it certainly didn't turn her mellow. I used it back when she had just started overgrooming (as one part of lots of different things to get her to be happier and stop hurting herself). She stopped the overgrooming and overall seemed happier.

I don't know exactly which bits of what I was doing helped the most but sometimes when it had run out I'd see her licking herself a bit more. Never anything enough to have the fur get thinner or anything but enough to make me continue to buy the feliway top ups. Like I've said before feliway is more like a nice warm blanket, a cup of hot cocoa and a good movie on the tv when it's raining outside and you're feelig a bit down - for cats. It doesn't drug them or change them, it just makes them feel more secure and less stressed (if it works on them at all, some cats are immune)

I've not run feliway for a few months now and not seen a change in Nikita. I.e I think I've managed to solve everything that was troubling her so she doesn't need the added "de-stress" of feliway but I buy it and start again at the drop of a hat if anything happens. The only bad thing about feliway from my point of view is the money if it turns out your cats are immune to it.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I actually started using it a few days ago, and the bengals are just as playful as ever. It seems to be helping with Eliza. Obviously I can't read her mind, but it seems to me that she is not interpreting their playfulness as agression so much anymore. She just seems more comfortable. She's still going to her favorite places (under the dining table, or under the coffee table) when she's had too much. The last mess she made was a couple nights ago. The vet had me get the spray version too, and told me to spray it directly on spots she had after cleaning them up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!