Why are there so many women on The Cat Site?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had several polls that show about 90% of our members are women. I thought it would be interesting to hear from women and men why they thought this is so.
I am also a member of an animal rights group and the percentage of women is also about 90%. (I am in the 10%.) Why do YOU think women dominate?

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe its because women have an inhert need to care for things. I know that alot of men also have the same feelings but it seems to more ingrained in women. We see something that needs to be taken care of and flock to it. Animals seem to be one of those things, no matter how big or small they just seem to need our help. I think it sstill stems from the stereotype that men need to be strong and to show emotion for an animal would contradict that.

Does that make sence? I have been on here for like 5 hours now and am starting to ramble.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think women's nurturing instinct is simply stronger than men's. Look at the percentage of men that care for children versus women and it's probably the same percentage as on TCS.

For all the rescue groups that I've worked within in my area, most of them are nearly all women. The ones that have men supporters that spend as much time as the women are usually married to a woman volunteer.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read once that often men dislike cats because they have an inherent need to control things, and cats resist being controlled and always assert their independence. That's why men are generally dog people and women are generally cat people. Don't know how true that is, but thought it was interesting anyway.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think part of it is because there is a stigma that cats are more of a womans animal. and dogs mans..and of course..that women are chatty and love to nurture..heh

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lakeriedog

I think that a lot of men love cats, but are in the closet about it!
Alot of men have this "need to look manly and cool at all times" thing..and wouldn't be caught dead in a cat (which is feminine) forum.

I think thats why

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think women are more social and get along better in groups where we can all be on the same level playing field. We tend to form bonds with people of like interests easier, and don't usually get all puffed up about what we have versus what others have.

Online, a common person can become buddies with someone who is affluent, since there is no "reality check" here on the web. A woman that drives a Porsche IRL doesn't care if her friend online drives a Jetta, they are still buddies. Doesn't matter if one is an educated person with college degrees and the other is an ordinary working girl, they still become buddies.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

I think women are more social and get along better in groups where we can all be on the same level playing field. We tend to form bonds with people of like interests easier, and don't usually get all puffed up about what we have versus what others have.

Online, a common person can become buddies with someone who is affluent, since there is no "reality check" here on the web. A woman that drives a Porsche IRL doesn't care if her friend online drives a Jetta, they are still buddies. Doesn't matter if one is an educated person with college degrees and the other is an ordinary working girl, they still become buddies.
I'll go with this one!!!
Plus, we live to talk

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats seem to be considered "feminine animals" and the vast majority of cat lovers I know are women. A lot of men don't want to seem "soft."
Plus, I don't know any men who would love to come and gush about their animals on a forum.
Forums and group chatting and stuff seem like women's type things.
Speaking stereotypically of course, because we all know now not all men and women are the same.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

Maybe its because women have an inhert need to care for things. I know that alot of men also have the same feelings but it seems to more ingrained in women. We see something that needs to be taken care of and flock to it. Animals seem to be one of those things, no matter how big or small they just seem to need our help.
the main reason i have a 5th kitten now, when i wasn't planing on getting another until one of my current ones went to the bridge. she needed me!

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

We know how to talk
that, too!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the men are on the sites devoted to sports, gambling/gaming, and "you-know-what".

But they have a cat in their lap.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much of it has to do with the fact women are more likely to talk and talk about their cats.

Another reason may be that women either spend more time online because they are stay at home moms / wives etc and have more 'spare' time where they can log on than men who typically work outside the home or that women network on a different level.

As someone mentioned before, we look for something that bonds us and with women, things like cars etc don't get in the way of that common bond so we tend to make friends more and stick around.

Cats are also more of a female's pet stereotypically, although many of the dog forums I know of are also full of females, so I think it has something to do with the internet as a whole.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I think the men are on the sites devoted to sports, gambling/gaming, and "you-know-what".

or techie stuff -- but definitely with a cat in their lap.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

We know how to talk
that really about covers it all

Originally Posted by Momofmany

I think women's nurturing instinct is simply stronger than men's. Look at the percentage of men that care for children versus women and it's probably the same percentage as on TCS.
lol that's cause the courts would not give the kids to the father.

Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

I read once that often men dislike cats because they have an inherent need to control things, and cats resist being controlled and always assert their independence. That's why men are generally dog people and women are generally cat people. Don't know how true that is, but thought it was interesting anyway.
hmm somewhat true, but just about all the males i know have cats around the house also.

but really, cats are not that hard to control accpt when they are kittens.
heyu and eazy both will come when called, hehe kinda like real women, you do for them, they do for you

Originally Posted by gemlady

lol take out the "you-know-what", and gambling that about covers it.

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I think the more important question is why are there fewer men here!
we know where we are not wanted, like going to a women's only gym, why bother
or it could be we just dont talk about it as much.