Oh my, can someone help me break this down?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking for a good recipe for crab soup and finally came across this one. However, there are only two of us so 10 pounds of anything is way out of line. How would you break down this recipe so it can serve 2-4?

Crab Soup

This recipe feeds about 200.

Ingredients:

10 lbs. beef, cubed very small

10 lbs. potatoes, diced

4 onions, diced

4 full stocks of celery, diced

15 lbs. of vegetables (frozen)

Water – 42 quarts or almost to top of your pot

2 10 oz. cans of tomato soup (you can also use fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes, but you'll have to estimate.)

12 Fresh hard shell crabs, broken in half and cleaned

5 lbs. fresh crab meat

Seasoning:

Amounts below are approximate:

1 cup Old Bay seasoning,

1 cup celery salt

Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Prepare your soup stock by browning the cubed beef slowly in a 48-quart pot. When browned, add your chopped onions and celery. SautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] with the meat until soft. Add the potatoes and chopped *vegetables and cook until soft.

*Mae Bissett uses carrots and peas and whatever else is in season. You can use frozen vegetables already chopped up. Depending on what you end up using, you'll have to adjust the quantity.

Add tomato soup (canned or fresh). Add 42 quarts of water or fill the pot until it is nearly full. Add seasoning to taste. Stir well and keep stirring. Simmer for 1 – 3 hours or as long as you like, until it reaches the right flavor and consistency to your taste. Keep the lid off. You might have to add some more water as it boils down. Keep your eye on it.

Preparing the Crab

Take the top shell off and remove the dead man's fingers underneath the top shell, the eyes and whatever else you'd consider inedible under there -- just the insides, not the meat! Mae Bissett leaves the crab claws on and always uses fresh crab.

One to three hours before you are ready to serve the soup, add the crab. It's important not to cook the crab too long before serving. Simmer your soup stock with the fresh crab and season again to taste.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you could always make it for 200 and freeze a lot!
Just kidding.

I think at this point you have to guesstimate. If 10 lbs of beef is for 200 people, 1 lb would be for 20, so for 2-4 I would say maybe a quarter of a pound? Potatoes, maybe one or two? Onion, maybe 1/2 same with celery. Crab meat...you can never have too much crab meat in crab soup! I would recommend instead of using tomato soup, using a can of cooked tomatoes..they will cook down and gives it more texture. I normally season to taste, so go with your own instincts.

I know I'm not a lot of help, but that recipe sounds delicious! Hopefully someone can give you a better breakdown. Let us know how it turns out.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Boy does this recipe sound good! It's easy to cut down - just divide by 10 to serve two people. Then double that to serve four. If it's really good, I'd make more because it will get eaten!

Crab Soup

This recipe feeds about 2.

Ingredients:

1 lb. beef, cubed very small

1 lb. potatoes, diced

1/2 onion (or little less), diced

1/2 full stock of celery (or a little less), diced

1 1/2 lbs. of vegetables (frozen)

Water – 4 quarts (or a little more)

2 oz. of tomato soup (you can also use fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes, but you'll have to estimate*.)

1 Fresh hard shell crab, broken in half and cleaned

1/2 lb. fresh crab meat

Seasoning:

1 cup = 48 teaspoons, but almost five teaspoons of seasoning sounds like WAY too much for two servings. I'd start with one to two teaspoons of each.

*You could use one fresh tomato, boil for one minute and peel and seed it. Let us know how it turns out!

Math was never my strong point!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Oh, no, I just deleted it because it's wrong! I'll do the math correctly after I have breakfast and tea! Sorry about that!

Everything has to be divided by 100.
We're in the same boat because I'm still waking up too! It sounded good to me

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Well, you could always make it for 200 and freeze a lot!
Just kidding.
or invite 198 people over

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just make it for 200 people and we will all PM you all of our addresses and FedEx it to us. We will finish it for you.
This shall save you the trouble of dividing everything by 100 (to serve 2) and then times it by 2 (to serve 4).

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just tried it with your recipie, you will get a better read if you round up the number from 0.01 to 0.1. It says to do that for a more acurate reading. It becomes tenths instead of hundreths.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, considering that it's a restaurant serving, that's about 1/2 cup. I don't know about you but I like to have a cup or more of soup when I have soup. So that makes the recipe for 100 and not 200 as stated.

For 50, divide the ingredients by 2. For 25 servings divide ingredients by 4 etc.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Found this website fruitfromwashington.com that has a recipe calculator. I converted some of your ingredients (e.g. 42 qt water = 96 cup water; 2 ten oz cans tomato soup = 20 oz = about 2.5 cups) & plugged it in & reduced it by 1/25 = to give about four 1-cup servings: (the orig served 200 half-cup = 100 one-cup == so multiply by 1/25 = 4 one-cup servings).

Some of the stuff didn't convert well (like "0" onions or crab!) b/c the amount would have been too tiny, so you'd have to adlib that stuff, e.g. the amount of whole crabs or onions -- but you can always add to taste! (Note: the # in paretheses are the original recipe amounts)

0.4 pound beef (cubed - very small) (10 pound)
0.4 pound potatoes (diced) (10 pound)
0 onions (diced) (4 whole onions)
0.16 stalks celery (diced) (4 )
0.6 pound frozen veggies (15 pound)
3 3/4 cups + 1 tablespoon + 1 1/4 teaspoons water (96 cup)
1 tablespoon + 1 3/4 teaspoons tomato soup (2.5 cup)
0 Fresh hard shell crabs, broken in half and cleaned (12 whole crabs)
0.2 pound fresh crab meat (5 pound)
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (1 cup)
2 teaspoons celery salt (1 cup)

http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/R...conversion.php

Does this look reasonable? HAPPY COOKING!

P.S. www.allrecipes.com has a recipe calculator but it's for the recipes on their website. They have several versions of crab soup.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Well, considering that it's a restaurant serving, that's about 1/2 cup. I don't know about you but I like to have a cup or more of soup when I have soup...
O.K. you have some kind of amazing clarity of vision. This is another example of your Cut to the Chase
posts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much guys! I just looked at it and laughed. Perhaps I may invite over 200 of my TCS friends and we can all have this soup!