Baby bunny? Ideas please!!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night DH and I rescued a baby bunny from Chloe and Yoda. He seems fine-and unharmed, but what do I do with him? I hate to just let him back out side and have the same thing happen~yet, I dunno the slightest thing about bunnys(wild ones). Any help would be great!!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepsi catches bunnies all the time
I normally get them into a shoe box, with holes in, then make sure all the cats are in the house and walk over to where I know where the bunny holes are and just let the little critter run back

At least when its in its den it can relax and get some energy back.

Good luck !

oooo and watch out for fleas, bunnies are usually running with those nasty little critters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Pepsi catches bunnies all the time
I normally get them into a shoe box, with holes in, then make sure all the cats are in the house and walk over to where I know where the bunny holes are and just let the little critter run back

At least when its in its den it can relax and get some energy back.

Good luck !

oooo and watch out for fleas, bunnies are usually running with those nasty little critters
I have him in a dog crate with grass and hay. Hes got his eyes opened and I would say hes about the size of a fist, mayb bigger. Hes just so cute! But I dunno what to do with him!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she eating any of the grass? Maybe call your vet and see if he has any ideas. If he's that small he may need to get back to his mother to nurse. I had a adult bunny, but when I got her she was bigger than that, but domesticated bunnies usually are bigger period. Do you know where the den is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

dont you have any clues where the bunny warren is - I think its best to try to get it back to its own home.
No idea!! I know its where cats/dogs can get to~and I dont wanna let him get hurt or killed.....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh please... can you keep those dogs in the yard? First a cat, now a bunny... surely there's some way to keep this from happening...?

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wild bunny really do not do well with us caring for them the best thing really is to let it go and let mommy find him.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

Wild bunny really do not do well with us caring for them the best thing really is to let it go and let mommy find him.
Agreed. Many would be suprised at just how small they are when they are out on their own as well, since they still look like babies to us. HRS has a very good article regarding what to do with wild baby rabbits and why attempts to “help†do more harm than good: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

If he is not injured the best thing you can do it put him back outside and supervise your animals when let out. If you are still unsure if the bunny needs help or is injured please contact a wildlife rehabilitator.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh please... can you keep those dogs in the yard? First a cat, now a bunny... surely there's some way to keep this from happening...?
Just asking for more trouble unless they are.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about there,but here it is against the law to keep ANY wildlife.Your best bet is to contact the local DNR and ask them what to do with it.
I would DEFINATLY keep it away from your dogs though.They seem to have small animal aggression issues, and need to be kept away from the bunny at all times!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find this to be an interesting topic. Mom has a family of wild bunnies(outside) and for the longest time her cats wouldn't both them until today. Cello tried to get the baby bunny but luckily it was quick to run away. I would put the rabbit back outside. It's mommy might be looking for it. Many of mom's neighbors have dogs and the family is surviving just fine.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here we are directed to turn wild bunnies loose, even if they are babies. So long as they can walk they will be fine, trust me. Bunnies do not make overly friendly pets unless handled from birth. I've known wild bunnies to refues to eat & starve to death in captivity.