TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Feline Pine? Does this stuff work better than any other litter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feline Pine? Does this stuff work better than any other litter?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Well, I have seen the ad on the site for a while now, does it work well? Does it make the litter box smell better, keep it cleaner? Well, anyone who has used, please tell me your experience with it. Thank you for reading!
post #2 of 15
It does an amazing job of absorbing urine odor, but doesn't really mask poop odors well. Which may not be a big deal if your cats are on a high quality food since the poops aren't too smelly. The litter itself smells faintly of pine, and when damp it smells a bit like a hamster cage - organic but not really unpleasant, certainly preferable to that feline ammoniac urine smell imo. I'm copying this bit from another litterbox post so i don't have to type it again:

I recently tried to switch them to Feline Pine since it is so phenomenal at absorbing the urine orders, but Rajah doesn't like a box filled with it entirely - i think it hurts her paws - i wish the pellets were about 1/4 of their current size. So i put a thin layer of the Feline Pine on the bottom of the box and cover it with the Tidy Cat on top. It's not the ideal way to use the FP, but it does absorb that urine order so well that it's worth it for me to bother. The FP hardly tracks at all. They make a scoopable version of FP but i haven't seen any place that carries it reliably so i've never tried it.
post #3 of 15
I love it. The smell is not that bad, I scoop solid waste every day, if I am home when she does it I will go in right after and remove the waste. I also sift it a few times a day to stir up the broken son parts from the urine, it turns into a fine dust. If you stay on top of it there should be no problem. I do have to change it every 2 weeks to keep oder down.

Karma was not quite sure of it at first. I switched her over from clay because the dust made her sneeze. I did it over the course of a week. The first day it was all the pine litter she looked at me like I was nuts and tried to eat it. She learned right away it was not food. Now she loves it. I love the fact that its good for the earth.
post #4 of 15
I'm trainning my new kitten on Feline Pine and he's taking to it no problem.

I have 2 other cats and the oldest was a little pest when I got my 2nd kitty -he wouldn't let him use the litter boxes. I had 2 of them and he was monitering both, they were both HIS (using Tidy Cats)

I had tried to switch them to Feline Pine a long time ago and they didn't like it so.....now my new kitty will not have to worry, his litter box will ALWAYS be his

It really controls urine odor. I like that it is flushable and the dust residue is good for the lawn
post #5 of 15
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!

Did I mention I LOVE it!???!!!??! And it is flushable!
post #6 of 15
Tried it didnt like the fragrance ... but it is good
post #7 of 15
I love it. My family hated the smell so I switched. IMO, FP would work best in their litterbox. The scoopable was a fine powdery/dust that always clung to my kitties, I didn't like it. You might, though.
post #8 of 15
I hated it because it isn't scoopable. It did mask odors well, but it seems so very messy to me. Luckily Princess doesn't seem to care what kind of litter I use

I'm using a mix of Swheat Scoop and Arm and Hammer now and I very much prefer that.
post #9 of 15
Being scoopable is not the point though, you don't want to scoop out the pee because you leave it until it turns to sawdust. That is how it works. It would defeat the purpose if it scooped somehow. You let it go until it all turns to sawdust. There are litterboxes with holes in it you CAN buy but I just leave it. Remove the poop, that doesn't need to clump because it is already solid of course.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Being scoopable is not the point though, you don't want to scoop out the pee because you leave it until it turns to sawdust. That is how it works. It would defeat the purpose if it scooped somehow. You let it go until it all turns to sawdust. There are litterboxes with holes in it you CAN buy but I just leave it. Remove the poop, that doesn't need to clump because it is already solid of course.
At least one hopes the poops are solid!

I discovered FP is not a great litter when Damita has runny stools.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
At least one hopes the poops are solid!

I discovered FP is not a great litter when Damita has runny stools.
Well yes I do hope so!
post #12 of 15
One cat at the shelter was using it (not sure why just him!) and apparently I'm allergic to pine! I had a terrible reaction when I was chaning his box
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl View Post
One cat at the shelter was using it (not sure why just him!) and apparently I'm allergic to pine! I had a terrible reaction when I was chaning his box
I'm not sure if I've heard of anyone being allergic to pine before. I wonder if there are warnings on the bags?

I hated the pine smell, it's too strong for my sensitive nose. I wasn't fond of how it broke down either, and I could still smell the urine (or the oh so lovely - urine pine smell). Sho used it, but mostly looked confused by the smell and texture, thankfully he's a forgiving cat. Maybe I'm the only person... but to be honest, I'd rather smell poo the short times between scoopings then deal with pine litter or possible problems alternative litters have (grain based + meal moths = bad).
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
I'm not sure if I've heard of anyone being allergic to pine before. I wonder if there are warnings on the bags?

I hated the pine smell, it's too strong for my sensitive nose. I wasn't fond of how it broke down either, and I could still smell the urine (or the oh so lovely - urine pine smell). Sho used it, but mostly looked confused by the smell and texture, thankfully he's a forgiving cat. Maybe I'm the only person... but to be honest, I'd rather smell poo the short times between scoopings then deal with pine litter or possible problems alternative litters have (grain based + meal moths = bad).
Sealed bin keeps bugs out
post #15 of 15
we tried Feline Pine Scoopable in one litterbox. the guys didn't like it. we never tried the regular though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Feline Pine? Does this stuff work better than any other litter?