Persian/Himalayan parents - what toys??

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I have a 10-year-old Persian and a 4-year-old Himalayan. Sneakers (the Persian) isn't so much a fan of any type of toy that I've found - even as a kitten. Milk rings, buttons, foil balls, catnip toys, feathers - nothing.
I'm just wondering if you all have any suggestions on other toys that
he might like. He seems to be content to lay on my computer desk all day and chase Punkin (the Himalayan) every so often in the evening.

Same question for Punk. He doesn't seem to play with many toys either. The only thing he seems to "play" with is the toy that has the long stick with ribbons at the end. But even then, his play seems more like defensive behavior - he hisses and bats at it but only after I've poked him lightly with it.

Any advice? I don't want to spend a ton of money on toys the boys may or may not play with.

Thanks in advance.

Deb

P.S. would questions about toys go under behavior or care/grooming??

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those breeds tend not to play much with any toys. In the show rings, the persian kittens might play the most - the adults..........forget it

Maybe one of the string toys with the bug, or mouse on the end would work; I agree, don't waste too much on toys they won't play with.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Those breeds tend not to play much with any toys. In the show rings, the persian kittens might play the most - the adults..........forget it

Maybe one of the string toys with the bug, or mouse on the end would work; I agree, don't waste too much on toys they won't play with.
Yesterday while buying litter, I noticed a laser pen at the check out stand. I had always told myself I would never get one of these things because of possible danger to the cat's eyes. But I made an impulse buy and brought it home. Persi is a laid back Persian, not much interested in toys as you say. But Persi came to life and we spent most of last night having fun with his new toy (I am EXTREMELY careful to not get the light near his eyes.) He wore me out. He was the one doing all the jumping and chasing while I sat in my easy chair. So, I would say that even when nothing else works, carefully try a laser pen. My three year old Alley on the other hand was not all that interested in the light but she did play with it. When DW and I were considering what cat to buy DW said she wanted a laid back cat that just layed around and looked good. Well, she got that. And now I have a young kitten back again.
But if you get one, please use it with extreme care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how old is Persi? also, with the laser pointers - i understand the potential danger - if the room completely dark or can there be light? i haven't used a laser pointer before.

thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use them all the time - room does NOT have to be dark; we use it in the daytime. Shine it on the wall or dark surface for best results - like a corner by the door/wall works well.

BTW you can get them in dollar stores for a buck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks all. i just might pick up a laser pointer. Sneaks will only play if something has been spritzed with catnip - and even then it's for all of three seconds.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Yesterday while buying litter, I noticed a laser pen at the check out stand. I had always told myself I would never get one of these things because of possible danger to the cat's eyes. But I made an impulse buy and brought it home. Persi is a laid back Persian, not much interested in toys as you say. But Persi came to life and we spent most of last night having fun with his new toy (I am EXTREMELY careful to not get the light near his eyes.) He wore me out. He was the one doing all the jumping and chasing while I sat in my easy chair. So, I would say that even when nothing else works, carefully try a laser pen. My three year old Alley on the other hand was not all that interested in the light but she did play with it. When DW and I were considering what cat to buy DW said she wanted a laid back cat that just layed around and looked good. Well, she got that. And now I have a young kitten back again.
But if you get one, please use it with extreme care.
This is one day later. Persi has wised up to me! He KNOWS that I am the one making the "bug" on the wall or floor! When I turn the light off, he sits there and stares at me for a while and he then jumps up and examines my hand! I hide the laser and show him my empty hand but there is no doubt that he know that I am doing it. But he still plays with it. He just knows that when it stops that I am the one stopping it. I suppose others have experienced this very thing?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persians are pretty laid back and not too active. They play with each other--they may actually not need toys!

Have you tried catnip? Some cats become more playful when they're 'high' on the 'nip.

Your cats seem to be the sort who enjoy social interaction more than active play. Daily grooming sessions (which persians do need) can serve quite the same function as play for them--interaction with you, a bit of a physical "massage" type thing.

You could try leash-training them and taking them for outdoor walks. Many cats enjoy exploring environments they don't usually get to see.

Play is good for keeping off any extra weight, though. So I guess it's important to make sure they're eating the right level of food for their activity level.

This is one day later. Persi has wised up to me! He KNOWS that I am the one making the "bug" on the wall or floor! When I turn the light off, he sits there and stares at me for a while and he then jumps up and examines my hand! I hide the laser and show him my empty hand but there is no doubt that he know that I am doing it. But he still plays with it. He just knows that when it stops that I am the one stopping it. I suppose others have experienced this very thing?
LOL!! That's how they learn, though. They see two things together, and they associate them. Like if you don't want your cat on the countertop, you hiss and say "no", and he associates the two things, and doesn't go on the countertop because he knows you'll hiss (or at least, doesn't go on there when you're there... which is why sticky tape or stinky stuff works better... an association that works even when you're not there). I guess Persi has figured out that "When the funny bug is on the wall, Mom has that weird thingy in her hand! So the weird thingy must make the funny bug!" Smart cat.