Help... Cat with misterious mouth/facial twitching

hinicky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

My 2.5 year old male Bengal has been having a problem for awhile now (2 months). Sometimes, the muscle around his mouth twitches and he brings his paw to the mouth. Also, there is some licking and headshaking going on. Less frequently, he will rub his eyes and they seem to be kinda shut but not much. He has exhibited similar symptoms 2 years ago (but he also had drooling and fatigue) and it turns out he had a tooth infection. He had a root canal done. Then all the symtoms went away until 2 to 3 months ago. We took him to his dentist vet this week and he had mild gengivitis. Full X-ray of the mouth was done. Nothing was found. He still exhibits the symptoms. I do not know if he is in pain or if he is having some itching. Very difficult to know. He still eats, drinks, plays, urinates/defecates normally. Any idea???
Thank you!

Dan

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what it could be. I would say a rip back to the vet is in order and have more test done. I hope someone coes along who can help you more.

Sending healing vibes to your kitty though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hinicky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the vibes. I am taking him in this week again.

Dan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hinicky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wel... we took him to the vet today. The doctor could not find any visible physical abnormality. He said it could be neuritis. Now the cat was given steroids.

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HiNicky

Wel... we took him to the vet today. The doctor could not find any visible physical abnormality. He said it could be neuritis. Now the cat was given steroids.
This is an interesting topic to me, as well. I have a male bengal kitten (about 4 months old) who I had neutered 2 days ago. I picked him up yesterday and he was doing EXACTLY what you said. Head shaking (and head butting the ground), pawing at his face, smacking his lips, etc.

I called the vet and they told me to bring him in. I brought him in and they said they didn't see anything in his mouth. They suspected that he might be having a reaction to the anesthesia and told me to call them if it hasn't gotten better by Saturday.

I was/am really worried. It's strange that they have the same symptoms, but the circumstance is a little different. I wonder what the connection is?? Help, anyone?!

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also- I was wondering if any of your kitties had an experience with a bad reaction to Ketamine (anesthesia) and what happened, how long it took to "react", etc.

HiNicki- Did your kitty eat anything suspicious or could he be eating anything suspicious? Could our symptoms be reaction-related? (If not from anesthesia than something else- like a plant or something?)