NAtural Balance wet and dry

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So the search for good healthy food continues for Karma.

I finally made it down to the pet store, the one that is closest. They carried Natural Balance, Science Diet and one other one that I had never heard off and also can not afford, so its not an issue. I can however afford Natural Balance wet and dry. It is only a few dollars more than the Purina and seems like it would be better. We picked up the Venison flavor for her to try. I would like to know if anyone uses this food and if it is good.
One concern I have now is that the Venison is their allergy free formula, Karma does not have any allergies so would it be bad to feed it to her? Or is it still safe, she won't form any allergies from it?

Here are the ingrediants for the dry and the venison formual. Also here is th elink to their site, it hass all the other formulas and ingrediants. Do I need to worry about Brown Rice Flower?

The Dry Cat Food Formula

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Duck Meal, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Potatoes, Carrots, Lamb Meal, Fish Meal, Canola Oil, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg, Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberry, Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca, Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

The Venison Wet Food

Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate,Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

The link for the website

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...d.html#Venison

She still has about 3 weeks left on the Purina, she loves it but I want her on something better. Any advice is greatly apprieciated. If this seems good then that will be her new food, Finally.

Oh and a few others at a different store were Merricks Gammy Pot Pie Formulas and one that was intriquing Tiki Cat Premium Wild Caught Seafood Canned Cat Formulas. The store that sells these had cans for .99 cents and the dry for between $15 and $25 depending on size. So the dry may be an option the wet is definaily an option.

Tiki Cats site, this stuff is so cool

http://www.petropics.com/catalog.htm

I would prefer to shop at the first store manly because the people who own and work there are much nicer and helpfull. At the second store its very, um, snobby and they really care more about dogs, the cat section is an after thought. The second store is also a dog and cat bakery, They did have some good looking homemade treats that were costly but they looked good enough for me to eat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NB is overall good but often the duck makes it too rich ... it is slightly grain / starch heavy

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our cats eat Natural Balance -- one flavor with salmon and one with chicken -- they do very well on it. We also feed them Merrick, all flavors, and 2 of ours eat only PetGuard venison and rice and PetGuard chicken and wheat germ. The ones on PetGuard had some tummy issues that these two flavors seem to help.

The food that is good for allergies won't cause any in your cat. She should do fine on any of the food you mentioned. We don't use dry for our cats, but loads of people do.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The food that is good for allergies won't cause any in your cat. She should do fine on any of the food you mentioned.
Well, it could complicate matters in the future if allergies developed. You wouldn't be able to use this food to perform an allergy trial since it would no longer be novel protein/starch, and NB venison & green pea is one of the only commercial brands suitable for allergy trials available without a prescription. It seems like the other NB flavors not designed for allergies would be better for cats not exhibiting allergy symptoms.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luxum

Well, it could complicate matters in the future if allergies developed. You wouldn't be able to use this food to perform an allergy trial since it would no longer be novel protein/starch, and NB venison & green pea is one of the only commercial brands suitable for allergy trials available without a prescription. It seems like the other NB flavors not designed for allergies would be better for cats not exhibiting allergy symptoms.
EXACTLY... plus NO FOOD is 100% allergy free unless like SD Z/D it is molecularly changed ... NB is less likely to cause allergies due to it NOVELNESS in most cases... I learned this with my dog who just happens to be allergic to fish duck and venison

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two eat the regular NB dry (the pink bag). Both seem to like it well enough although they still like the SD dry, too. So they get about 1/4 of the SD and the remainder is NB.

Daphne still will not have anything to do with wet food though.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love the canned Natural Balance Venison and Pea and the Chicken and Liver. I feed those formulas because they are grain and fish free (yes, the Venison and pea contains a small amount of salmon oil)- good for my diabetic and crystals cats.

They also liked an occasional treat of the dry Venison and Pea before it was recalled.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love the Natural Balance wet, most of the flavors, except the venison and pea neither would eat (I tried it back when we thought Cindy's problem could be allergies). Of all the brands I've tried (most of them, I think), NB seems to be their favorite.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like the NB canned food. They liked the dry too...I used to use it for treats on occasion.

Precious eats the canned Venison/Pea almost exclusively. Occasionally she'll get a taste for other foods but we always end up going back to the V/P. I'm not too concerned about the allergy issue. She loves that food 10x more than any other wet food. She needs to eat well as she was born with some heart issues, so that's what we stick with.

I would feed it to the others more often but Leopold won't touch it for some reason. He doesn't care for any of the NB canned and I don't know why. He likes 80% of what I put in front of him, but not that. Picky cats, what can you do? LOL

Edit - one other good thing...I recently had some trouble finding the canned v/p locally (because of confusion stemming from the dry recall) and Natural Balance bent over backwards to help me. I'm really impressed with the customer service.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We put Otto, our Turkish Van, on the Venison and Green Pea canned formula when he started to get some chin acne. 2 weeks later. . . all cleared up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well she ie sleeping in this morning, very unusual but we were all up late and she does not go to bed untill we do, so shes a bit sleepy. When she wakes up I am going to give the Venison a try, hopefully she will like it. If she does than maybe we will have a new food.

Thank you fro all the advice guys, I really appreiciate it.

Update: Its been 4 hours since I posted. The little freak woke up starving so I gave her half a can of the NB Venison. She at it faster than she has eaten any other wet food, ever. When she was done she cleaned herself for about half an hour and is now asleep again belly up with a BIG smile. She looks so happy, full and content.
So I guess we have sucess, now if she will only like the dry.