TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Any snake experts/lovers who can help me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any snake experts/lovers who can help me?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Let me start by saying that I am absolutely terrified of snakes. Terrified may be an understatement, too. So today there was a snake found in our pool

It completely freaked me out because just last night my niece and nephew were swimming in the pool.

The guy who found it said it was poisonous based on the shape of his head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are having drought like weather, so Im assuming the snake was looking for water. But I was told by the snake expert (Home Depot cashier) that where there is one snake there are many!

So to any snake experts out there, what can I use as a snake deterrent? I have heard mothballs but I have also heard those are lethal to dogs (and I have a dog) and I have heard some say they've seen snakes slide right over mothballs.

What has been suggested is that sticky paper and/or an outside cat. I will not use either of those things. I am looking for a deterrent only. But Im hoping to find something, especially with my niece and nephew (children) around and this being a poisonous snake.

Any suggestions?
post #2 of 15
Forgive me, I'm not sure where "Yaaccw" is, but... is there an agricultural extension office that can give you some guidance? They usually know all the kinds of snakes in the area and what, if anything, can be done about them.

Thank you for not going with the "outside cat" idea!
post #3 of 15
**Big shudder** Ugh, I don't know the first thing about snakes, and hope I never have to learn either. That sounds terrible, I'd be completely freaking out right now if I were you. I'm sure snakes are perfectly nice animals, etc etc etc... but I really hope you get those things as far away from your home as you can real quick.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Yaaccw means "You are a Crazy Cat Woman" ..... something Helen's (Bella713) husband came up with

Im in Birmingham, AL ......... I will have to check into the agriculture extension office.

I didnt see the snake, I was told it was a Water Moccasin, based on his description of his triangular head.
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel View Post
**Big shudder** Ugh, I don't know the first thing about snakes, and hope I never have to learn either. That sounds terrible, I'd be completely freaking out right now if I were you. I'm sure snakes are perfectly nice animals, etc etc etc... but I really hope you get those things as far away from your home as you can real quick.

I really dont know anything about them either and the thought of them period makes me nervous. I hope there is a solution!
post #6 of 15
Lime,the mineral that's used in gardens, works much better than mothballs. Just lay down a line of it around your house and around the perimeter of your property it keeps them away. It's said that the snakes won't crawl through it because it gets between their scales and irritates them.
post #7 of 15
There's not really that much you can do to keep them off of your property, they're going to be out looking for food, water, and mates like any other wild animal.
One thing that will help is to clean up your property.
Trim bushes, clean out brush, get rid of any thing they can hide and live under. This is sort of common knowledge in rattlesnake country (here).

Some common snakes, such as gopher snakes, can flatten and puff up a bit to mimic venomous snakes.

Look up some of the different species living in your area, and check on your state's department of fish and game site. There may be some more information on making your yard unappealing.
post #8 of 15
First I would need to know where you live to be sure that a Water Moccasin. There are 100's of snakes that have triangular heads that are not poisonious, There are also snakes the look like they are but are as harmles as a rock. North America does not have very many poisonous snales so the chances are slim. I have a friend who owns a tree boa and just but looking at it some one who does not knwowould think he is poisoniou, he has a very triangular head and more of the slit style eyes and is bright green. In all reallity he is harmless, sur he would deliver a mean bite but it would not kill you. In all reallity there is nothing you can do to deter a snake. They really are more afraid of you than you are of it. Right now in southern California we are haveing an outbreak of rattlesnakes. On the news all they aresaying to do is be alert, look down and is you see one move away. Leave it alone and you will be fine. Dont go playing in cool areas, looking under rocks or logs, you know things like that. If it looks like a place to hide you will most likely find a snake. Once you start to deter them you will end up with a bigger problem, ie mice.

I love snakes if I had the time I would own doezens, They are truely some of the most amazing creatures on the planet.
post #9 of 15
I'm by no means a snake expert and am just as scared of them as you are... but when I found one in my backyard last week I checked my county animal services website. They have a list on there with pictures of all the local snakes. Perhaps your county/town/etc animal services department has something similar?

Then once you know what it is, you might be able to contact the animal services people and ask if they know a deterrent.

HTH!
post #10 of 15
What I would do is look up the poisoneous snakes online (there are only a few in the US) and see if the one you saw matched any of them. The poisoneous snakes are:

1. Rattlesnakes

2. Copperhead

3. Coral

4. Cottonmouth (or water moccasin)

The Coral snake is mainly in the southwest region. On the eastern side and south are the other 3 kinds.

Here's a picture of them:

Rattlesnake (eastern diamond back - most common)

http://www.pestproducts.com/images/edrsnk.jpg

Coral:

http://www.pestproducts.com/images/coral.jpg

Copperheads:

http://www.pestproducts.com/images/cphead.jpg

Cottonmouths:

http://www.pestproducts.com/images/ctad.jpg


Here's a website you might take a look at so you know what you are looking at. Also has something about snake repellant too

http://www.pestproducts.com/images/ctad.jpg
post #11 of 15
Usually a local agency will be willing to come out and get it. The shape of the head might sometimes indicate what type of snake it is, but it's not proof positive. The only one of those snakes (the poisonous ones listed above, not including the coral snake) that is an actual water snake, is the cottonmouth. The others may get into the water though. Definitely call a local agency.. often they'll be able to give you advice or will come get them.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by taterbug View Post
Lime,the mineral that's used in gardens, works much better than mothballs. Just lay down a line of it around your house and around the perimeter of your property it keeps them away. It's said that the snakes won't crawl through it because it gets between their scales and irritates them.
Someone just told me that! They said to start first just around the perimeter of the pool so that no snakes will be stuck within the perimeter and to slowly enlarge the circle of lime to encompass the perimeter of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
There's not really that much you can do to keep them off of your property, they're going to be out looking for food, water, and mates like any other wild animal.
One thing that will help is to clean up your property.
Trim bushes, clean out brush, get rid of any thing they can hide and live under. This is sort of common knowledge in rattlesnake country (here).
The immediate area surrounding the pool is very clean, but down a wall, behind a fence, about 20 feet is some brush. But its on the ridge of a mountain and not a lot I can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmasMom View Post
In all reallity there is nothing you can do to deter a snake. They really are more afraid of you than you are of it. Right now in southern California we are haveing an outbreak of rattlesnakes. On the news all they aresaying to do is be alert, look down and is you see one move away. Leave it alone and you will be fine. Dont go playing in cool areas, looking under rocks or logs, you know things like that. If it looks like a place to hide you will most likely find a snake. Once you start to deter them you will end up with a bigger problem, ie mice.

I love snakes if I had the time I would own doezens, They are truely some of the most amazing creatures on the planet.
I wish I wasnt afraid of them, but I am. And I would NEVER do anything but leave a snake alone, if I saw one. I know this snake was probably thirsty and Im hoping its not a problem we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom View Post
I'm by no means a snake expert and am just as scared of them as you are... but when I found one in my backyard last week I checked my county animal services website. They have a list on there with pictures of all the local snakes. Perhaps your county/town/etc animal services department has something similar?

Then once you know what it is, you might be able to contact the animal services people and ask if they know a deterrent.

HTH!
On Monday, I will call around and check. I appreciate that advise because I would have never thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post

Here's a website you might take a look at so you know what you are looking at. Also has something about snake repellant too

http://www.pestproducts.com/images/ctad.jpg
I never actually saw the snake and it wasnt described to me in detail except to say he had a triangular head and also that he was swimming with his head out of water. That last link was just a pic of a BIG snake.
post #13 of 15
When I lived in Oklahoma about 20 some years ago, we went swimming in the creek (crick ) all summer. The only thing were wore were flip flops and our suits. People always said to watch out for the water moccasins so were wore flip flops to keep from stepping on them. I would see one or two as I floated but never heard of them biting anyone. Think we all just learned to coexist in those hot summer days.

Thank you for not killing it It would be hard to be a snake who needs cool shade and moisture and not be able to find it. When you are clearing out around your home, just imagine where you would spend your days if you were a snake
post #14 of 15
The harmless black rat snake is mistaken for cottonmouths a lot of times. I've only seen a cottonmouth one time. Was in my neighborhood's park (growing up) and we had a stream there. It was fall, so the snake was more sluggish with the colder weather.

My dad spotted it and showed it to me so I would know. He teased the snake with a stick till it opened its mouth to bite. The inside was pure white Cottomouths are a heavier built snake compared to the black rat ones (those are harmless and good rat/mouse hunters and never should be killed.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
The harmless black rat snake is mistaken for cottonmouths a lot of times. I've only seen a cottonmouth one time. Was in my neighborhood's park (growing up) and we had a stream there. It was fall, so the snake was more sluggish with the colder weather.

My dad spotted it and showed it to me so I would know. He teased the snake with a stick till it opened its mouth to bite. The inside was pure white Cottomouths are a heavier built snake compared to the black rat ones (those are harmless and good rat/mouse hunters and never should be killed.
It is always possible that he was mistaken and that it was a harmless snake.

I really wish I wasnt so afraid of snakes. I cannot IMAGINE swimming in a creek knowing water moccasins were swimming near me and coexisting peacefully

Much less wearing flip flops so I wouldnt step on them. I MIGHT be able to be in a full, head to toe, metal, un penetrating suit and MIGHT (but probably not) be able to be the same body of water.

Im not sure where the snake fear came from, but its there and STRONG! It may have something to do with as a child, us finding one in the living room and the way my Mother responded totally and completely FREAKING OUT, which is how I am now.









New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Any snake experts/lovers who can help me?