TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Reminder to keep your tetanus vaccinations up to date
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reminder to keep your tetanus vaccinations up to date

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I cut my finger this afternoon on an old rusty metal garbage can. I called my doctor to find out when I had my last tetanus shot and it was 11 years ago. It is recommended to have them every 10 years to prevent tetanus. If you get a cut and your vaccinations are not up to date, you have 72 hours to receive a maintenance shot.

I googled the disease and didn't like what I read about it. 11% of people infected with it will die. I have an appointment Monday morning for my shot.

So please everyone, check when the last time you got a shot and get a booster if you are due. You never know when you will do something stupid like I did and then need to scramble to get a shot.

I'm OK, it was about an inch long gash and it hasn't stopped bleeding after an hour and a half. Not deep enough for stitches. But hydrogen peroxide really stings......
post #2 of 20
Yeah. I stepped on something and cut my foot open a few years ago... and I was forced by my mother to get it. Good thing.. but I had a bad reaction, so I don't know if I'll be getting it next time.
post #3 of 20
I hope your wound heals soon! I checked & my tetanus is up to date, because I work at the shelter with who knows what I was sure to check!
post #4 of 20
Ouch!
This sort of stuff always seems to happen on a Friday or Saturday, doesn't it?
It may be expensive, but if you're really worried you could probably get a shot at the ER.

I'm sure you came across the information while looking stuff up online already, but if it starts to look really red or have a red line coming from it you need to get that tetanus shot sooner.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Ouch!
This sort of stuff always seems to happen on a Friday or Saturday, doesn't it?
It may be expensive, but if you're really worried you could probably get a shot at the ER.

I'm sure you came across the information while looking stuff up online already, but if it starts to look really red or have a red line coming from it you need to get that tetanus shot sooner.
No kidding - the doctor couldn't get me in this afternoon so I have to wait until Monday. Thanks for the warning about the red line. I've flushed it with peroxide and have put antibiotic ointment on it. It finally quit bleeding and only has a low grade throb right now. I'm such a clutz sometimes!
post #6 of 20
I thought it was every 7 years?

I agree, my sister just had to have one when she sliced open her pinky and had to go to the ER this week... with a screaming 3-month-old. They glued it shut but then she had to wait forever for the tetanus shot!

Thanks for the reminder!

I hope you heal well and feel better
post #7 of 20
Eep, I can't remember the last time I had one

I hope your wound heals quick
post #8 of 20
For maintenance purposes, you need a tetanus shot every ten years.

Puncture wounds put you more at risk for tetanus than a cut, but if either were from a rusty or possibly contaminated source, it can be an issue. The doctors in our area consider you covered for the first five years after a tetanus shot. If its been more than 5 years since your booster and you get a puncture or cut from a risky source, or aren't sure, they recommend a tetanus booster with 72 hours of the injury.

Hydrogen peroxide should be diluted with water, to about 50%. Research has shown that it tends to slow down the granulation process in healing.

Good luck.
post #9 of 20
I know its been longer than that for me. I guess I should get one, especially now that I'm volunteering at the shelter!
post #10 of 20
Since I am one of the TCS's super klutz's I cut a small stick-on label on the back of my driver's license with the date of my last tetanus shot. Its a handy place in case I need to refer to it quickly. My sister's doc said if one does alot of gardening (like me) a booster should be given every 5 years instead of 10 years.
post #11 of 20
What a great idea, Gail! You could do that for flu and pneumonia shots, too.

When I started volunteering at the shelter, they required a tetanus shot... and since most of us are likely to be out trying to help a stray or feral now and then, we really should keep up. Thanks for the reminder, Amy!
post #12 of 20
Dumb Question Alert:

What does working with animals have to do with getting a tetanus shot? I thought this was something you only got from rusty nails and stuff?

post #13 of 20
You are correct. Animals do NOT spread tetanus.
post #14 of 20
If you're out and about working with possible rusty animal cages, it could be an issue. Don't know otherwise!!

I just got my booster this year after not having it in well and truly more than 10 years! Wasn't as bad as I expected
post #15 of 20
Maybe they figure if you're dumb enough to get bitten that they might as well have you covered else wise.



...I was dumb enough to get bitten
My last booster was in '04.
post #16 of 20
In case of bites, but mostly because of the kennels. They are not fancy new ones, by any means! In same places, yes they are rusty.

And you do not have to be dumb to get bitten. I've been attacked by dozens of feral cats that, by law, must be caged for 5 business days. Not to mention the aggressive/dangerous dogs.
post #17 of 20
I was bitten by a feral cat and my tetanus shot history came up. I ended up having to get one, among other shots done.

Oh man..did I learn a lesson.

But I have no idea what the shot has to do with the other. They pretty much told me you don't know where that cat's claws have been.

Considering I lost use of my left arm for a week, and it had to be put in a sling..I believe it.

I have not been bitten since.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breal76 View Post
But I have no idea what the shot has to do with the other. They pretty much told me you don't know where that cat's claws have been.
That does make sense. I know I was shredded by the cat's back claws.


And yes, getting bitten was dumb and completely preventable on my part. This was not a feral cat, he was agitated and I was trying to shoo him out of the yard so I could catch Sho ... who he had just attacked. I underestimated the cat since I knew him and got hurt because if it. Lesson learned the hard way.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I cut my finger this afternoon on an old rusty metal garbage can. I called my doctor to find out when I had my last tetanus shot and it was 11 years ago. It is recommended to have them every 10 years to prevent tetanus. If you get a cut and your vaccinations are not up to date, you have 72 hours to receive a maintenance shot.

I googled the disease and didn't like what I read about it. 11% of people infected with it will die. I have an appointment Monday morning for my shot.

So please everyone, check when the last time you got a shot and get a booster if you are due. You never know when you will do something stupid like I did and then need to scramble to get a shot.

I'm OK, it was about an inch long gash and it hasn't stopped bleeding after an hour and a half. Not deep enough for stitches. But hydrogen peroxide really stings......

I have not done any research on it, all i know is it is bad. I had only had my usual ones in school till i started at animal aid last year, and it was a requirement to have it updated for the obvious reasons.
post #20 of 20
How funny - I was just blogging about tetanus before I logged on here! I've gotten into gardening lately now that we have a house. I was digging up a flower bed and came across some old, rusted pots buried deep in the bed. Luckily no harm because I hit them with the Garden Claw, but it reminded me to do the math on when I got my last shot. It's been about 5 or 6 years, so I'll ask my doctor on my next visit and see what she thinks.

Great reminder - thanks for posting! I hope you feel better soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Reminder to keep your tetanus vaccinations up to date