What kind of kitten do I have?

babytigergrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not, so mods, feel free to move it if needed. Thanks!!

I rescued a male kitten a couple weeks back and his color has me completely puzzled. His mother was a Russian Blue and his father was a street cat so we're not sure on all of the genetics in the background....

Here he is. What do you think?

His ears are dark, his tail is dark... his back is a darker color than his stomach and his legs. He has a sort of t-bone mask on his face that's pure white... his stomach and legs are also pure white and he has blue eyes.

His markings have changed since these photos were taken. They're a lot more defined, now. He's really developing some stripes around his eyes. If my camera were co-operating I'd snap a few more but no such luck.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His markings remind me of a shorthair version of a Ragdoll
There has been cases of "white" Russians, which are a blue pointed cat. During WWII the Russian blues were breed to siamese to preserve the breed. Many lines still trace back to those "pointed" carriers and sometimes you get the throwback of a blue point Russian.

I know a breeder on the East Coast that had it happen twice in her RB's - was weird seeing the normal solid blue kittens and one blue point kitten in the litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babytigergrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting about the white russians!

His markings definitely remind me of a ragdoll/ragamuffin, but he's not long haired like they are... so I'm still stumped.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, he's beautiful! But how on earth did a Russian Blue get on the street to mate like that? Some people are very careless. However, you have a wonderful kitten out of it.

lady jayne grey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Harry had the same markings as a kitten, and changed the same way. I'm still not sure about him, which is no help; I'm sorry. He's part feral, (mine is, I mean) and I've always suspected some Flame-point Siamese as his markings are reddish.

babytigergrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have any pictures of Harry, Lady Jayne?

I have no idea why the Russian Blue was out on the street like that...

The woman I rescued the kitten from had taken the mother in off the street. She was BEAUTIFUL!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people mistake solid grey cats as Russian Blues. Unless you know for sure where the cat came from, it was probably just a solid grey cat, not an actual Russian Blue.

GOEGEOUS kitten by the way!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww what a sweetheart that kitty is for sure
looks like some Siamese in there, but hey ! not that I know anything about breeds - I just love kitties full stop

I have a solid grey cat, Pepsi, and lots of people mistake her for a Russian Blue, but if you check some photos of 'the breed' on the web, you can clearly tell she' not - she just a DSH, and cute too

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten is pointed and white. I.e imagine a siamese coloured cat that has the white markings of a black and white tuxedo cat. That's your kitten.

Pointed cats (with i.e the siamese type markings) are usually born all white, the darker colour is temperature influenced. The cooler areas like the ears and tail and legs get darker as they age and it can take a while for the colour really to come in.

However since your kitten has the white markings on top of the pointed colour his face and legs don't have the characteristic darker colour. He's stunning and he'll only get more pretty as he ages and his pointed colour darkens.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ADORABLE is what I call him.
Sorry, I'm a not help, but I couldn't help but comment, what a cutie!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Wow! What a sweetheart of a kitten! I think we would all like to see more phots of your little guy! And welcome to
TCS!
He is a very pretty kitten

babytigergrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I'd like to add some more pictures, but our camera has died on me...
Hopefully I'll be able to afford a new one, soon.

He's really darkened up all over. He has a distinct M on his forehead and he's getting a dark mask. He also has a few rings on his tail... I love him no matter what he is, but he sure is puzzling to me!

EDIT: I have found a few pictures of what he looks like now... except the fact that he still has short fur. Here ya go! He looks a lot like the cat in the first picture, but he has that M marking on his forehead like in the 2nd picture...

babytigergrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think it's possible that he's just a short haired ragamuffin/ragdoll??

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might be a 1/2 ragdoll/ragamuffin. Both breeds are longhair and that's recessive. Two longhairs don't make a shorthair. So one of the parents has to be a shorthair