Constantly Shedding - Help!!

dpaul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 yr old, male, long hair, indoor, "Baby Kitty", is constantly shedding! It never stops! I brush him every day, which he absolutely loves (he knows where the brush is). I could brush him for 24 hours and the hair would still be coming!!

I am constantly cleaning up loose hair daily, several times a day.

Am I feeding him the wrong food (Iams, Furball, Indoor Cats)? Could he have an allergy?

And, he constantly is getting mats in his fur, which I usually have to cut out.
He is very clean and very smart and seems to know when he has a mat and that I am going to get it out.

Any advise appreciated.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dpaul

My 4 yr old, male, long hair, indoor, "Baby Kitty", is constantly shedding! It never stops! I brush him every day, which he absolutely loves (he knows where the brush is). I could brush him for 24 hours and the hair would still be coming!!

I am constantly cleaning up loose hair daily, several times a day.

Am I feeding him the wrong food (Iams, Furball, Indoor Cats)? Could he have an allergy?

And, he constantly is getting mats in his fur, which I usually have to cut out.
He is very clean and very smart and seems to know when he has a mat and that I am going to get it out.

Any advise appreciated.
Shedding is a natural process but some cats can shed more excessively. My Persians used to shed much more when they were on IAMs. If you want something you can pick up at the pet store chain, I'd suggest Nutro dry. It's not much more expensive them IAMS if you buy the large 20 lb bag. I'd also try supplementing with a really good quality wet food. I buy EVO no grain for my cats and that is usually found at the local mom and pop pet stores. There are many high quality canned foods out there and I believe there is a list in the Health and Nutrition forum. I'm on my way to work right now or I'd go search for you.

Also try using a comb instead of a brush. It gets out more of the dead fur (ususally) and thus helps to prevent mats. The one shown at this link is what I mostly use (along with the Furminator): http://Easy GroomEasy Groom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dpaul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the quick reply!!

Baby Kitty hates the comb. I use (or rather, try and use) the one you suggested. The minute he sees the comb - he is gone!!!

I find with wet food he has loose bowel movements and can be very messy with the long fur.

Any other suggestions out there?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dpaul

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Baby Kitty hates the comb. I use (or rather, try and use) the one you suggested. The minute he sees the comb - he is gone!!!

I find with wet food he has loose bowel movements and can be very messy with the long fur.

Any other suggestions out there?
Sometimes we have to do things our cats don't particularly like (the comb). Mats can be worse then the comb. They can be very painful if they get out of control. Of course, You could always take the cat to a groomer every couple weeks (or even more often when he's older).

Sounds like maybe you haven't found the right wet food if he gets loose stools.

minou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could always have him clip in a lion cut if you like that look. Very easy maintenance. Doesn't have to be very short. A pro groomer could leave a nice lenght using a #5F blade (they have to know what they are doing with a #5F though) because it is easier to cut the kitty then using a #10 blade.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try the furminator. I bought that last week and OMG I had no idea after a few brush that I can make a miniature pillow out of their fur: they are a short-mid hair cats. After just one grooming, they shed less.

I think this is the season for cats to shed so that's normal but also as mentioned by others here, food can also contribute to less shedding.