Help me win this arguement!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I have been saving money back here and there for another car. We only have a truck right now. With us owning the roofing company and me recently taking on managing a pest control co. it's extremely difficult with 1 vehicle. Today I found a 96' Chevy Cavalier for $3000. It has 116k on it. They want $600 down and $250/month. Dh is not wanting me to buy this car. Instead, he wants me to buy a car for like $600-$800 cash so we can own it outright, free and clear.
Here's my argument:
Most (if not all) cars for that price are junk. Something's wrong with it for them to be selling the car that cheap. Perfect example: We looked at a 94 Probe today for $700. It was horrible. The hood wouldn't shut completely and the sales guy said because the battery was too big
it had a huge dent in the rear panel.The gas door wouldn't open by the switch. You have to pry it open
. The rearview mirror was missing, and the driver's side blinker was about to fall out from the body and it was blowing smoke. Reggie wanted me to buy it!
I said no and walked away. My kids will be in it for gods sake!

So I think it would be better to go ahead and finance one that is a GOOD running car and even though it is $3000, they give a warranty that as long as it's financed, they fix anything for free, you just pay for the parts.

Help me win this argument!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cavalier is obviously the better option. I had a Cavalier, a 97 actually, and when it it 90,000 miles, it fell apart
I'd make sure you get some sort of good warranty (which you said you would) it would be a lot better, I didn't have one on mine!
Tell Reggie to wake up and realize that your choice is really the better one- and the SAFER one, by the sounds of it!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You seem to have had money troubles, so unless you are in a better situation now maybe save a little more and try and get something semi decent that will run without too much work being put into it.

Parts are a huge part of the 'fixing' cost so it won't be saving you that much, but obviously a warranty and newer car will usually be better

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you owe so much why are you buying any car right now?

I would keep saving and deal with just the truck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I say buy a cheapo junker

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

You seem to have had money troubles, so unless you are in a better situation now maybe save a little more and try and get something semi decent that will run without too much work being put into it.

Parts are a huge part of the 'fixing' cost so it won't be saving you that much, but obviously a warranty and newer car will usually be better
Well, I have saved ALOT to do this and I'm working 2 steady jobs. I thought about waiting and saving more up but the problem with that is the truck we have now is starting to fall apart. It's getting hard to shift gears and the clutch is getting weak. I don't want to wait until it's broken down before getting another vehicle. Then we'd be really screwed for a vehicle

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Who said I owe?
Oops I read "owning" as "owing".

Either way if you (Dixie) don't have the money saved up, don't do it.
The best way to stay out of debt is to pay in cash for everything or have a savings to pay it off in 3 months.

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am currently the proud owner of a 2000 Chevy Cavalier with nearly 130,000 miles on it. the car still runs great (here's hoping i didn't jinx myself
)!

i am in no position to tell you if you should get the cavie or get a junker or hold out for something else.

my hubby and i have been going round and round in circles debating whether we should get a second car since he totaled "his" last September. so far, amazingly, we've been able to make it work even though we are both extremely busy and constantly on the go. (i'm a reporter, he's a photojournalist working for the same news company)

there's my two cents, feel free to leave some change.

and, good luck

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do but they want like $1500-$2000 down
not for every one on the lot! see if you can talk to them
my sister kimmy and her family JUST bought a van from there yesterday. They got a pretty good deal on it considering their credit is aweful. They got a 2004 Chevy (it's a van but i don't remember what kind) it's really nice and doesn't have many miles on it at all. They do a 30 point inspection and will not send you home with the car until it passes everything. They really worked with my sister the other day- maybe they could help ya'll

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Oops I read "owning" as "owing".

Either way if you (Dixie) don't have the money saved up, don't do it.
The best way to stay out of debt is to pay in cash for everything or have a savings to pay it off in 3 months.
Here's the situation...
We own a roofing company AND I run a pest control company. On the days he could be out doing the repairs, I need the truck so I can be in the other office working at the pest co. but as of now, either the roofing has to wait (which customers don't like) OR the pest co has to wait until one of us returns with the truck. OR the kids and I get stuck on jobsites watching movies in the truck because I have things that need to be done but yet DH needs the truck for when he has to go get materials and I honestly don't think it's fair for the kids and I to have to sit out there waiting on the crew. Plus, it's summer now and we CANT sit in a hot truck. While he's off roofing and making money, I can be making more doing the pest control co.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you buy a junker, which won't depreciate too much over a short period of time, and use it while you save more and make sure the pest control business works out? You don't want to be stuck with bills if it doesn't (you did just take it over recently right?). Then sell the junker for close to what you paid for it and add the extra saved $$$ to get something better

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's the situation...
We own a roofing company AND I run a pest control company. On the days he could be out doing the repairs, I need the truck so I can be in the other office working at the pest co. but as of now, either the roofing has to wait (which customers don't like) OR the pest co has to wait until one of us returns with the truck. OR the kids and I get stuck on jobsites watching movies in the truck because I have things that need to be done but yet DH needs the truck for when he has to go get materials and I honestly don't think it's fair for the kids and I to have to sit out there waiting on the crew. Plus, it's summer now and we CANT sit in a hot truck. While he's off roofing and making money, I can be making more doing the pest control co.
Sorry didn't know from the original post it was that bad. You asked for opinions and I gave it based on the first post & I admitted I was wrong about owing anything.

I replied from what you said and my 7 years of banking experience, hearing whiney customers complaining about not having money for important things yet they shop to they drop. (not that I am saying you are one of them) Or people who Re-fi every year to pay off their credit cards just to rack them back up again.

I also talk from personal experience from owning 30k straight from college and out of work for 4 months. I worked my butt off and didn't spend a thing unless my clothes were rags. I have 8000 left to pay off. So I have a little experience on the topic.

Again nothing personal.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Could you buy a junker, which won't depreciate too much over a short period of time, and use it while you save more and make sure the pest control business works out? You don't want to be stuck with bills if it doesn't (you did just take it over recently right?). Then sell the junker for close to what you paid for it and add the extra saved $$$ to get something better
We took over in January and Recently changed the name. Our customer's are alot more regular now and very steady.
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Sorry didn't know from the original post it was that bad. You asked for opinions and I gave it based on the first post & I admitted I was wrong about owing anything.

I replied from what you said and my 7 years of banking experience, hearing whiney customers complaining about not having money for important things yet they shop to they drop. (not that I am saying you are one of them) Or people who Re-fi every year to pay off their credit cards just to rack them back up again.

I also talk from personal experience from owning 30k straight from college and out of work for 4 months. I worked my butt off and didn't spend a thing unless my clothes were rags. I have 8000 left to pay off. So I have a little experience on the topic.

Again nothing personal.
No, I know. Another reason I'm wanting to get the car is the kids. Justice is a bit on the "stocky" side and is having a very hard time getting in and out of the truck. It has a tiny extended cab on it with jump seats that fold up. The kids are literally knee to knee which leads to fighting, screaming and arguing CONSTANTLY
They can't even stretch thier legs out without kicking each other and it only has lap belts.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whichever you decide, I would look twice at the price on this one, according to the Kelley Blue Book. The LS version, with the 2.4 liter engine, with the milage you quoted, at full retail (in Alabama, but close to you, and rarely any salt issues-lol), is:

Excellent
$2,835

Suggested Retail Value Assumes Excellent Condition... More

Vehicle Highlights

Mileage: 116,000
Engine: 4-Cyl. 2.4 Liter
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: FWD

Selected Equipment Change Equipment
Standard
Air Conditioning AM/FM Stereo ABS (4-Wheel)
Power Steering Dual Front Air Bags

Blue Book Suggested Retail Value
The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions. Vehicle Condition Ratings Check Vehicle Title History Excellent
$2,835

"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category. * Alabama 6/7/2007

Blue Book Retail Value Assumes Excellent ConditionThis value assumes the vehicle has received the cosmetic and/or mechanical reconditioning needed to qualify it as 'Excellent'. This is not a transaction value; it is representative of a dealer?s asking price and the starting point for negotiation.
Oh, and just FYI, ask about taking it to your mechanic and having it checked out. If they balk- run, run, run away. If they don't, really do take it and have it checked. It is so worth the money in the long run!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i think you need a motorcycle
I have dirt bikes! Does that count? I could just strap the kids on the handle bars

Originally Posted by catsallover

Whichever you decide, I would look twice at the price on this one, according to the Kelley Blue Book. The LS version, with the 2.4 liter engine, with the milage you quoted, at full retail (in Alabama, but close to you, and rarely any salt issues-lol), is:

Oh, and just FYI, ask about taking it to your mechanic and having it checked out. If they balk- run, run, run away. If they don't, really do take it and have it checked. It is so worth the money in the long run!
Yeah I know it's over KBB but I also know that the car lot is not going to sell it w/o them getting a commission.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and here's a good test (and to prove to your dh that you can afford a better car)- start saving for a car payment now, while your finances are the same. If you can do that (about $60 a week for 4 weeks) right now, without depending on the "possible future income", no matter how probable, then what can he say?
Good luck!