my kitty is sneezing alot

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm such a worry-wort!

I adopted a 2-month old grey tabby boy from the Toronto Humane Society last thursday. He showed some signs of sneezing & the 'dried blood' on his eyes on Friday which concerned me alot after I did some research on the net. So I took him back to the shelter and we saw a vet. She said that the 'dried blood' thing in his eyes are normal for all kitties and if the sneezing gets worse, to take him to the vet otherwise he was quite healthy. He was eating fine, being playful and his bowel movements were okay as well.

But the last 2-3 days he is getting worse, he is sneezing ALOT! There is still dried blood around his eyes that I clean every day. He is pooping alot and sometimes I feel he is not as playful.

My next vet appointment is on saturday but the next 2 days is going to be so hard since I work 9-5 and I worry alot!

I was reading up why kitties sneeze, it could be the litter (but we have a really good litter that doesnt spray dust when he scratches) or the dust/ventilation in the house/room could be bad so i'm going to clean the room he is in as much as possible.

anyone else suggest something else that would make me worry less?

Seeing him sneeze makes me really sad :-(

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a URI - upper respiratory infection.
This is very common in shelter animals because of the close quarters. He'll probably be prescribed some antibiotics, likely amoxicillin.
I'd give the vet a call and let him know the sneezing is increasing. He might prescribe some antibiotics over the phone if he thinks it's a URI also or he might want you to bring your kitty in early.

I'm sure he'll be fine but it's hard not to worry huh?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

It sounds like a URI - upper respiratory infection.
This is very common in shelter animals because of the close quarters. He'll probably be prescribed some antibiotics, likely amoxicillin.
I'd give the vet a call and let him know the sneezing is increasing. He might prescribe some antibiotics over the phone if he thinks it's a URI also or he might want you to bring your kitty in early.

I'm sure he'll be fine but it's hard not to worry huh?
Exactly. Just make sure your kitten is eating. They often loose their sense of smell with they have a URI. Offer stinky wet food & watch the amount of food consumed closely. Nutrition is very immportant at this stage.

murray2007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As stated above, this sounds like an upper respiratory infection. My cat had the same thing. He was given liquid amoxicillin which caused an adverse reaction and made him vomit. He was then given Baytril, which clearned most of it up, and then followed up with Clavamox (amoxcillin and clavulanate potassium tablets), which although they contained amoxicillin, didn't make him vomit.

archiediamond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got two kittens from a shelter two weeks ago. Five days after I got them they both started to sneeze and, when I rang the shelter, they were very casual about it and gave me an appointment to see the vet three days later. That was a very, very bad call as in that time they went downhill a massive amount. Luckily I got them to an emergency vet and now, thank goodness, they're doing a lot better. But I would strongly advise you to get your kitten back to the vet asap and, if it has stopped eating, INSIST that they admit it and give it proper nutrition etc. Good luck! I know how stressful this can be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when I got him on Thursday last week and noticed the dried blood and sneezing I took him back to the vet on Sat. and she was so casual about it saying it's normal for kitties and he is healthy but I wasn't really satisfied and my gut was right! He did get worse....last night he had diarrhea and this morning he peed on my bed! I'm extremely concerned so I'm taking him to the emergency vet after work.

He is still quite playfull and eating his wet food. I'm feeding him Purina Feast...I'm not sure if that's good? Maybe its the food that's causing the diarrhea? :-/

It's going to suck working today...all I think about is him. I really hope its not serious and he will get better with anti-biotics.

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone on this thread has me so worried. My cat started sneezing the day after I took her to the vet. Upon the check up, the vet said she looked great and was a healthy little kitty. But, no joke, the very next day, I started noticing that she was sneezing and I'm constantly cleaning her eyes when I come home from work because she has those "sandman-sand" in the inner corners. I kind of figured the sand was normal because people get them--why wouldn't cats? But now, reading this forum, I'm concerned that my cat has a URI!! What else should I look for? Last night I noticed she had a bit of a runny nose. Her eating hasn't changed and her use of the litter box is pretty normal...
I looked into her eyes yesterday and noticed they looked a little irritated but I was thinking maybe it's because she sleeps under my bed and is bothered by the dust???? I cleaned under there VERY thoroughly a couple days ago but dust is always present especially because my windows are left open all the time.

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet first before u start getting worried. I know u said u took her already but take her again anyway. URI comes and goes so when u have taken her, it wasn't quite apparent. What colour are the discharge?

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by myKittyGizmo

I would take her to the vet first before u start getting worried. I know u said u took her already but take her again anyway. URI comes and goes so when u have taken her, it wasn't quite apparent. What colour are the discharge?
It's hard to tell the color because she's a black cat...I think the discharge is black but when it against her skin it's hard to tell the color...I'm trying to think about what it was yesterday when I wiped it off...It's like this crusty black--a lot like if you sleep with makeup on and then wake up and wipe your eyes. Does that make sense??

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am confused...Gizmo....your first post was June 7th....and I didn't read anywhere what the final diagnosis was for you. Was it URI? Did you go back to the vet?

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A runny nose and sneezing could mean URI. And...sometimes it is hard to get rid of. Check with the vet...and be sure that kitty is eating and drinking water.

How is the kitty breathing? You can sometimes hear a little raspy breathing with URI....been there...done that.....many, many times with all my kitties.

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

I am confused...Gizmo....your first post was June 7th....and I didn't read anywhere what the final diagnosis was for you. Was it URI? Did you go back to the vet?
Yea, he does have mild URI and he also has giardia.

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Puma

It's hard to tell the color because she's a black cat...I think the discharge is black but when it against her skin it's hard to tell the color...I'm trying to think about what it was yesterday when I wiped it off...It's like this crusty black--a lot like if you sleep with makeup on and then wake up and wipe your eyes. Does that make sense??
yea it looks like 'eye booger' as i call them, that we all get after waking up. But if he is producing them w/out even sleeping...like my cat would just have them almost 10-15mins after i wipe them. it could be very dark red dried blood. But I definitely would take him to the vet if he is sneezing alot and producing discharge. but ofcourse clear discharge is fine. u can do a google search to find out which discharges are okay & not, thats how i found out and freaked out about it.

I really hope ur cat doesnt have URI! it sucks balls.

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry i took so long to reply.

the first time they gave him these pills that i forgot the name of but they asked me to mix "half" of it per day in his wet food. He didnt work much.

now they gave him a ointment and a liquid: the ointment for his eye is called Fucithalmic Eye Ointment that he needs twice a day for 10 days. I dont have the liquid thing's name with me right now so i'll post the name later.

for his giardia Ferbendazole once a day 1/2 ml for 5 days.

plus i give him deworming medication every 2 weeks.

its a lot of meds for a little kitty but he is showing alot of improvements. The sneezing has stopped. I heard him once today which is just a normal sneeze. His eye boogers are non-existed. *knock on wood that it stays this way*

so yes go to a vet and get them to do stool samples! thats the only way. After his 10th day, im taking him to a pet spa hehe to get him nicely cleaned!