Fighting Kittens

archiediamond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I have two ten week old kittens both of whom recently had a brush with cat flu. One of them got very sick and ended up having to spend four nights away from home at the vet (I'm very happy to say he's now much better and eating me out of house and home).
These kittens are brothers and before Lester had to go away the two of them were absolute best of friends and would spend the day cuddling and playing or curled up together asleep.
But it seems that while Lester was away, Omar, his brother, has decided the house belongs entirely to him! Since Lester got back the two of them have done nothing but fight! It's really quite sad. I know that Lester smelled quite strongly of the vet and I have been rubbing him with a warm, damp face-cloth (also to stimulate him into washing himself again) but that hasn't helped relations between them. I'm having to lock them in separate rooms almost all the time but was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can get them to like each other again!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting a dab of vanilla under both chins and at the base of their tale (on their back). Then they will both smell the same.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 weeks old is odd for such an aggressive reaction toward a sibling. Was the ill kitten bathed or medicated topically (flea and or tick or other)? This is also a bit young for that as well. Is the sick kitten still ill and/or on medication? Did you have them for long prior to this ill behavior towards one and other? Maybe Omar needs a bath, something that cools his jets as far as who's home it really is, yours! Are they truly fighting, or just being brothers, kittens, especially 2 boys, will play fight to the point of pinning each other and forcing one to say "UNCLE!" .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archiediamond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if he was bathed but he came home smelling very strongly of the vet - even my insensitive human nostrils could pick it up quite easily. Before Lester went away they would have occassional wrestles but they'd always finish up by having a cuddle and the fights never went on for long. Now, although they don't look like they're really hurting each other, the fighting doesn't end until I come and pick one or both of them up and put them in separate rooms. And I don't want to let them just fight it out for hours and hours as Lester is still recuperating and needs to rest. It's weird!

archiediamond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of them are still a bit snuffley, both are still on antibiotics and I had only had them in the house for a week before they started showing signs of cat flu. Apparently lots of the cats that come through the spca have it.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ArchieDiamond

Both of them are still a bit snuffley, both are still on antibiotics and I had only had them in the house for a week before they started showing signs of cat flu. Apparently lots of the cats that come through the spca have it.
So I understand correctly, you adopted them through the ASPCA or a shelter? Is this diagnosis through them or have you taken them to another vet....I completely understand the vet bill situation if this is an issue. As a general bylaw and in most states a law (not completely familiar with), a sick animal especially with a cold or flu, can not be put up for adoption. I am not saying they don't do this, but they aren't suppose to, and this is why you should seek other veterinarian advice. I have even adopted a kitten from a shelter at 5 1/2 weeks old( way to young) from a shelter with an eye cold knowing this was not right for them to do. If I hadn't brought her home, who knows who would have and if so......... She was my best friend for 17 years!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly suggest you do one of three things (any trip to the vet will cause reactions when the vet cat comes home).

1. Bath both cats in the same shampoo (best option to make them neutral again)

2. Sprinkle both with cornstarch baby powder and rub it in good on their back, sides, and head/neck.

3. Try a dap of Vanilla extract on their noses.

And make sure all nails are cut short so if they do wrestle no one will get seriously hurt.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I strongly suggest you do one of three things (any trip to the vet will cause reactions when the vet cat comes home).

1. Bath both cats in the same shampoo (best option to make them neutral again)

2. Sprinkle both with cornstarch baby powder and rub it in good on their back, sides, and head/neck.

3. Try a dap of Vanilla extract on their noses.

And make sure all nails are cut short so if they do wrestle no one will get seriously hurt.
I agree. Give them both baths using the same shampoo so they smell alike once more (be sure and use towels warmed in the dryer to dry them off due to the cold they had). And using a cottonball, dab Vanilla Extract under their chins, between their shoulder blades, and at the base of their tails; where the scent glands are. And if they tussle pretty hard... I would just clip the tips of their nails so they aren't so sharp.

archiediamond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice...I have been so busy overseeing the wrestling matches over the past few days that i haven't been able to visit the site.
We're at a strange point now - the kittens will sleep curled up together, they eat out of the same bowl and yet when they're awake it's like Wrestlemania! Because Lester is still recuperating he gets tuckered out much quicker than Omar but Omar just doesn't let up. They were getting on so well last night that I decided to let them sleep in their old room together (alone - I had been taking them into my room with me so i could protect Lester). This morning Lester looked terrible! He's absolutely exhausted and I feel so terrible and guilty for not waiting longer to leave the two of them alone together.
The weird thing is, if I put the two of them in separate rooms they both howl at the doors to get out!
I am a big softie with them but if you think keeping them apart is the best thing to do, I'll do it!
And since they're now eating together do you think I should still try putting the vanilla on them?

Oh, one more question, (sorry to bombard you) - Lester is eating really, really well now but I never see him take a drink. He gives himself little washes but he's not super conscientious about it (the hind region is a bit grubby, if you know what I mean!). I'm making sure the food I give him has lots of liquid in it but do you think that's enough? The vet that checked him out said his health looks good now so I'm very confused!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he's getting water from a different source - like sink, bathtub. You could try changing the type of dishes you use.

If feeding mostly wet, they do get a lot of water. However, you still can add a little warm water to make it more soupy.

Ours likes drinking more from the dog's water dish in the kitchen rather then their own right next to the food - but they do drink from there too. I feed both dry and canned.

archiediamond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK thanks...it may be that he's developed a bit of a water phobia as the other day my partner left the lid of the toilet up and was having a shower when Lester wandered in to say hello, and you guessed it, jumped up on to the toilet and promptly fell in the bowl! He was fine, but distinctly unimpressed with the whole experience.

Also, I have never in my life bathed a cat, do you know under what circumstances I should do it and if so, how to get the wriggly little fellows in there in the first place?!!

zenovea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first experience with bathing cats was about 3 years ago, after 3 of our cats were at the vet (2 for spaying/nuetering the 3rd for diagnostic tests) and they came home with fleas. It was a few weeks before we realized the problem and realized we were going to have to bath 5 cats!
Oddly enough the one we thought would be the worse was the best and the one we thought would be the best was the worse!
But back to you question of how....a big sink or tub and best if you have 2 people. One to wash (and hold on to) and a 2nd to rinse (and ready to catch the little guy when he wiggles and gets away).