Rehoming Cats

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work with a guy whose gf is looking to give away 2 cats. More specifically, she is looking to get rid of them, and if no one will take them she'll put them to sleep. Obviously this idea horrifies me so I've volunteered to help find homes for them (and to temporarily take them if it comes to that point). I've emailed all my friends and got them to pass along the word to everyone they know who might be interested, and have made up a poster that I'm going to distribute tomorrow afternoon in my neighbourhood. Other than that, what are some effective ways to find a (nice) home for these kitties? And how should I screen people to make sure that they're serious owners who will take good care of these cats?

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is she giving them away and so adament about it?

Here's a form that I once filled out to get Summer. It goes through their history with pets, what they want in a cat, whether they want to breed them, declaw them, allow them outside, and what they would do (if they had to give the cat up, if someone in the house no longer wanted the cat, someone developed an allergy, etc)

http://www.touchedbyapaw.net/adoptform2.html

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am nowhere near the expert on this but I have seen people suggest contacting any no kill shelters that may be in your area (if they have time to answer the phones these days) and perhaps even see if local vets will post pictures because generally people who take their pets to the vet are good pet owners! Maybe at pet food stores as well.
Sorry that you are in this position. Our neighbor came over a week or so ago and asked me if I wanted a carton of cat litter because he had his cat put to sleep because "it never came out from under the bed". I so wish he would have said something to me before he did that. I wish you the best.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for stepping in to save these kitties. I'll never understand why people like that want pets in the first place... they obviously don't have a soul to love them with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'll never understand why people like that want pets in the first place... they obviously don't have a soul to love them with.
It makes me want to cry, hearing the bf talk about the cats (he's generally nice enough, but makes a point of letting me know he'd have no issue putting them to sleep himself, right away. Let's just say there were jokes made about how he'd give them to the first person who came by, even if they had a cat-killing knife and a bottle of bbq sauce to eat them with
I mean, I know that's his sense of humour, but it seems pretty tasteless, considering the situation and all.)

The story I'm being told (again from the guy I work with, I don't actually know the girl who owns the cats) is that she's just moved from a house into a 700 sq. foot apartment and it's just "too much" to have two cats in there too.
He's also alluded to some other "personal" issue which is also why she wants to get rid of them. I don't know, and I guess it's really none of my business, but makes me sick just the same.

Sofiecusion, thanks for the link to that form. I think I'll make a few modifications to it, but it seems like a good way to screen people before passing them along to her, who I don't know that I'd trust to try and find the best place for them.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel

The story I'm being told (again from the guy I work with, I don't actually know the girl who owns the cats) is that she's just moved from a house into a 700 sq. foot apartment and it's just "too much" to have two cats in there too.
Well, she must have a lot of stuff, then, because my apartment is 640 sq. ft. and my 2 kitties are fine. Who in their right mind would try to fit an entire house of stuff into an apartment that small? You store the stuff you don't absolutely need. You put it into storage and/or you store it with family and friends. That's what my sister and her then fiance had to do when he lost his job and they lost their house and moved in with our Mom.

There's got to be other reasons.

Tricia

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she must have Really lots and lots of stuff, because my little house is 750 sq feet and I have seven cats! Not that I would recommend this to anyone, but it most definitely a workable situation.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking so too, especially if she wants to do something as drastic as putting them to sleep if they don't find a home. Please find out as much as you can before adopting them so that you can screen applicants better for any issues they may have.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Well, she must have a lot of stuff, then, because my apartment is 640 sq. ft. and my 2 kitties are fine. Who in their right mind would try to fit an entire house of stuff into an apartment that small? You store the stuff you don't absolutely need. You put it into storage and/or you store it with family and friends. That's what my sister and her then fiance had to do when he lost his job and they lost their house and moved in with our Mom.

There's got to be other reasons.

Tricia
Mine is maybe 450-550 sq feet at most and I've got more than enough room for me and my two boys. When I told this to the bf, he told me that there was "no way" my apartment was so small (actually, it's pretty roomy thanks) and that the cats are always in the way at her place. Obviously there's something else going on, but I guess it really isn't my place to push to find out. Especially because I don't actually know this girl. I'm just telling myself that the reasons are irrelevant and that the result will be the same if I don't help out a bit. So I made up about 50 posters today and will go put them out over the weekend and hope for the best.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck finding these babies homes
I have no advice..and I won't mention how I really feel about that girl

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Horray for you for helping out. Bless those sweet kitties..Good luck vibes are coming your way to find them a great home. They deserve that.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your good luck wishes. As much as I'd sort of love to have them stay here for awhile, it's really better if we find them a permanent home quickly so it doesn't come to that. I've started a thread with their pictures in case anyone is interested in seeing these beauties.

Hey who knows, maybe someone here will want them... (*not so subtle hint*)

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the not so subtle hint.

Honestly these kitties are so lucky to have you. I wish there was some way to make sure these people never owned animals again. What they are doing is the extreme of "disposable pets" thought process.
So easily they say "we'll just PTS them".

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

I love the not so subtle hint.

Honestly these kitties are so lucky to have you. I wish there was some way to make sure these people never owned animals again. What they are doing is the extreme of "disposable pets" thought process.
So easily they say "we'll just PTS them".
That just makes me angry!!
if you aren't willing to take care of the animals, then don't adopt them in the first place! I have a dog who is going to be 16 in August, and we've had her since she was 5 months old. She has severe anxiety problems which lead to extreme destructiveness for a good 12 years. We dealt with that, took care of her problems as best we could, and she's still going strong today. She still has anxiety problems, but it seems to be balanced out a great deal with being elderly and sleepy! We adopted her and never looked back.

When I was looking for a kitty there was one I though was really sweet. However, it looked as if he'd been raised in a small cage, or his back legs were broken at some point, because that joint in the middle of both the back legs were bent so he looked like he walked on giant feet. I thought about adopting him, but decided that it wouldn't be fair to him to adopt him, but not be able to afford to fix his medical problems if they came up for his legs (and I figured that most likely they would come up), because I was going to be in grad school and not have a lot of money. If something was wrong with Loki or Possum, then, yes, I would find the money somehow, but that is unforeseeable versus the foreseeable of the kitty's poor legs. By the way, he did not seem to be in any pain walking on his legs like that, and he was adopted a few days after I saw him!

Tricia