The way we talk on TCS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not believe how many posts I have read with people swearing! If Freak ing can be edited out because it's a bad word then why can't some of these other words I'm seeing? This is insane, this is a family site! We can't be saying these words on here! I understand that there are A LOT of posts for all the mods to go through to catch this, but man what can we do to make this PG? I'm not just talking about one particular post in general either, it's just all the posts I've been seeing altogether that is making me so
!

Hint: When you feel like swearing just do this:
or
or any of the other smilies!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a potty mouth IRL, but I make it a point to watch what I say and how I say it in my posts.

I personally have seen nothing here lately that is offending, with perhaps one small exception, and then I thought it merely borderline.

Have you reported the posts you find offensive to the mods of that forum section? I think that is the appropriate path to follow. The mods here work very hard to stay on top of all posts for content, and I think they do a fantastic job.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I caught myself swearing here today, but it was about declawing. I usually change the words around to eliminate bad words. Sorry if you caught mine today and it offended you Tiffany!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I havn't seen any posts with people swearing in them.
I make sure that I don't swear on forums...but there are some words that I don't think are that bad.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen any swearing on here
If you see a post with bad language you need to report it as I agree this is a family site and swearing should not be allowed.

There are posters from all over the world on here so it's possible that some of the words you've seen aren't considered swearing in some countries.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been guilty of being borderline but always watch myself very carefully for any actual swearing..and the borderline stuf too i havent seen anything myself..

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Have you reported the posts you find offensive to the mods of that forum section? I think that is the appropriate path to follow. The mods here work very hard to stay on top of all posts for content, and I think they do a fantastic job.
thankyou for your compliment
and yes, if you find any post offensive for any reason please hit the 'report post' button or pm whichever mod is online at the time

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have already had this discussion recently and it is superfluous to bring it up again. I find the occasional swear word a lot less offensive that people who post excessively all over the forums displaying their ignorance.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

We have already had this discussion recently and it is superfluous to bring it up again. I find the occasional swear word a lot less offensive that people who post excessively all over the forums displaying their ignorance.
On a positive note, I am greatly entertained at some of the alternatives to swearing that our fellow TCSers can come up with! It can be as amusing as Anakat's siggy - That "Who Let HIM Out", coming out of the genie bottle with the other 2 siblings having those
expressions are hilarious - I bout wet my pants laughing.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have noticed certain words making it past the automatic censors (i.e. in the Paris Hilton thread) and yet someone was unable to type c-o-c-katoo in the Cats and Other Animals forum the other day - it turned out like this:

`
atoo'!!

The `swearing' I've seen is stuff I've heard a lot five-year-olds say and is so negligent compared to some of the other forums I'm on that I think it's barely worth a mention. Good job Mods - this has always been and still is the most family-friendly, politest, friendliest, kindest and least profane (and by that I mean virtually zero) website I've ever had the pleasure to be a member of.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh my, that has to be my post of the week...

Fancy a weekend in S
horpe?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

I have noticed certain words making it past the automatic censors (i.e. in the Paris Hilton thread) and yet someone was unable to type c-o-c-katoo in the Cats and Other Animals forum the other day - it turned out like this:

`
atoo'!!

The `swearing' I've seen is stuff I've heard a lot five-year-olds say and is so negligent compared to some of the other forums I'm on that I think it's barely worth a mention. Good job Mods - this has always been and still is the most family-friendly, politest, friendliest, kindest and least profane (and by that I mean virtually zero) website I've ever had the pleasure to be a member of.
I agree... I know that I've had stuff censored and was scratching my head about it. I do respect the forum rules, and if you don't want me to type specific things then I won't!

Cheers to every mod we have!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen a lot more:

***t and ***k and ****ch in posts and thread titles. while I'm not offended (really it takes a lot to offend me), still for others that may become offended I would request those *** users to use the
rather than ***.

is a lot cuter.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by silentNate

Oh my, that has to be my post of the week...
Spot on, Anne.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, were all being nice about this so i've got a question to those who don't find swearing offensive

Now trust me when i say that nothing shocks me unless it's cruelty to animals. I work with 40 men where some say the f word in every sentence, and i could probably give every single one of you a run for your money in the bad language stakes, but i like to think theres a time and a place for everything

So, being the community that we are, if you thought that something you said offended anyone, would you refrain from saying it again?, because it's all about respecting people at the end of the day as well.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

So, being the community that we are, if you thought that something you said offended anyone, would you refrain from saying it again?, because it's all about respecting people at the end of the day as well.
I definately would. I try very hard not to offend anyone. That was why I was so upset with how nasty things got with my kids on a leash thread. I was the one who requested it moved to IMO. You can't always be insightful, but you should always be concious of other's feelings.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

You can't always be insightful, but you should always be concious of other's feelings.
And here I was thinking that's it's all about ME.

Oh well...

Seriously, due to the fact that I DO try to watch what I say on TCS, I know that there are cultural differences, and I would try not to use a word that I know offends someone. However, there is no pleasing everyone all the time, so I think that there has to be some small allowances made here and there.

The word that means "covered with blood" in the USA is a swear word in the UK. It seems REALLY silly to not use that word if describing a blood-covered bum, or, for example, bloody stool. So I would REALLY hope that the UK users understand that this usage is not meant to be offensive whatsoever.

I guess it all depends on context.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, ok. The word `fanny' for example refers to the butt in the US. It does NOT mean the same thing in Australia - it's more offensive here. So yes, you do need to make allowances for local colloquialisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.