Parvo?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone on here have experience with Parvo. My foster pups have it. They are on Teriflu, Clavamox and some other thing for the runs. I cant remember what the vet called it.
They just put it in the droppers since they only required two doses of it. Anyways Does anyone have any tips on helping them get better. Im currently feeding them one once every hour. They are staying hydrated so far. They ate a little on their own today. So I just need general advice if anyone has any.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work for an animal shelter, so we'd frequently get litters of puppies that were exposed to Parvo. We lost five of them, out of over 30... and then finally got the problem under control and didn't have anyother problem after that. Bleach is the only thing that kills it... and you have to bleach EVERYTHING that came in contact with them, including the yard where they potty.
The most important thing is keeping them hydrated. Pedialyte is great for that, a lot of them won't drink it, but give it to them in a syringe or something like that. It's wonderful if they are eating, it usually means they're getting better.
Here's one good link... http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm If you google Parvo, you'll find tons of information.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a pup with parvo is a SICK pup...many parvo pups do not make it. It's usually about 50/50.

BUT, having said that, if they are eating a bit, that's a great sign. And yes, keep them hydrated...very important. Force water and pedialyte with a syringe, and bn2walker is right...you must meticulously bleach EVERYTHING you can.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and the pups...sounds like they will pull through!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. So far they havnt been outside to go potty. Only in my house and my work. They are only 2 1/2 weeks old. So they havnt been moved around to much. They are only in one room of the house and one room at my work. Should I bleach everything right now? Or after they are all over it? I just fed them and all but Casey ate 3 oz. of formula on their own out of the bottle. Casey ate 1/2 ounce out of the bottle and then another 1/2 oz with a syringe. So they seem to be feeling better. Eddy was even attacking the mop! LOL

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i worked at a shelter and had similar experiences to the other poster.

lots of cleaning, and using bleach.

They are only in one room of the house and one room at my work. Should I bleach everything right now? Or after they are all over it?
i would bleach anything you take out of those areas. we bleached EVERYTHING that came out of the cages of those dogs. well, we did that with all of the animals, but were EXTRA vigilant with the parvo dogs. my experience with parvo dogs was that we cleaned them A LOT because of the diarrhea.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep on cleaning. Daily or every other day, bleach everywhere they have been and after everytime they eat bleach their food bowls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I would keep on cleaning. Daily or every other day, bleach everywhere they have been and after everytime they eat bleach their food bowls.
Ive been cleaning alot. They arent eating out of food bowls yet just bottles still. They are only about 3 weeks old.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear this.
I had a boxer one time that got parvo....he was like 6 mos old when he got it. Thankfully we caught it in time~he did almost die though! He was a sick boy!!
I will tell ya that after his round of parvo, he was never the same!! I mean he just turned mean~I think it messed with his brain. He didnt like anyone!! So we had to end up having him put down.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand that parvo can remain in the soil for a LONG time after it is contaminated. Don't take the puppies outside until you get them over the parvo as once they eliminate there, they can pick it up again. We had a parvo outbreak in our area when we adopted our puppies and the advice was to not take them to any public place until they went thru their entire round of vaccinations (e.g. like a public park, Petsmart, etc). Bleach the heck out of everything constantly as the disease is very virulent and the death rate very high.

Sorry, but I've never had to treat puppies with Parvo so I can't help there. Poor babies!