Warm Up Canned Food?/Senior?/Scheduled?

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went shopping yesterday and bought Zoe Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Kitten dry. I also bought her some Nutro Natural Choice Wet. I accidentally bought one 5.5 oz of regular (the cans were 89 cents which I thought was pretty good) and a 5.5 oz of senior food. I was curious if I could feed the senior wet or not, just since I bought it anyway? I think I can exchange it, but I thought if it was safe to feed a 9-week-old kitten, I would.
Also, I keep her canned food (with lid) in the fridge. When I feed it to her, should I warm up the wet (not in the can of course!), so it's not cold? What do you do?
Also, I know you are supposed to let your kitten eat as much as she wants since she is growing. But she ate alot lastnight when I fed her the wet. And she is FAT! Should I feed her scheduled so she won't get fat, even if she is just a kitten? I'm feeding her abou 1/5 of a 5.5 oz can and unlimited dry.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's only 9 weeks old she's not likely to be overweight, but has she been wormed by the vet? If she has worms she will eat more and have a pot belly, and if she hasn't been wormed it's almost certain that she has them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just because she's not wormed it's almost positive that she has worms? That doesn't make much sense... But no, she has not been wormed. None of our outdoor cats (or any other critters) have shown signs of worms either. And she was completely lean until we started feeding her wet and I guess she liked it so much she just gobbled too much?
Any other responses to this question or the others?

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

I went shopping yesterday and bought Zoe Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Kitten dry. I also bought her some Nutro Natural Choice Wet. I accidentally bought one 5.5 oz of regular (the cans were 89 cents which I thought was pretty good) and a 5.5 oz of senior food. I was curious if I could feed the senior wet or not, just since I bought it anyway? I think I can exchange it, but I thought if it was safe to feed a 9-week-old kitten, I would.
Also, I keep her canned food (with lid) in the fridge. When I feed it to her, should I warm up the wet (not in the can of course!), so it's not cold? What do you do?
Also, I know you are supposed to let your kitten eat as much as she wants since she is growing. But she ate alot lastnight when I fed her the wet. And she is FAT! Should I feed her scheduled so she won't get fat, even if she is just a kitten? I'm feeding her abou 1/5 of a 5.5 oz can and unlimited dry.
I'm sure Sharky will be along to help with the Senior question...but if it were me, I'd return it. You probably didn't find any kitten formula of Nutro Natural canned b/c they were involved in the recall. As far as I know, kittens have different nutritional needs versus adults and seniors. And kittens should be allowed to eat as much as they want like you let her do. Most kitties are very good at regulating their food intake.

As far as storing cans in the fridge, you should not. Many cans are sealed with a substance that contains lead and once the seal is broken that lead can seep into the food if you allow the food to sit in an open can. This goes for human and pet food. Do you have a plastic or glass container with lid you can store the leftover food in?

Yes, I'd warm it up for a few seconds. It should be close to room temp.

I agree with Epona...if she has not been wormed and she is fat and she is only 9 weeks old, chances are that she has worms. Especially if she is living outside. It wouldn't hurt to take her to a vet to have her checked out. The first thing they'll do is a fecal to test for worms.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An ounce or so of wet food should take just a few seconds in the microwave to warm up. That's what I do. Just stir it up and check it for hot spots, as that stuff heats up pretty fast.

Most kittens are born with roundworms.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay... well she's going to the vet's in 3 weeks. I hate to take an extra trip and pay for a doctor's visit. Can we have her wormed/tested in a couple weeks when she goes in to get spayed?
I will see if they'll let me return the senior food and exchange it for an adult. They did not have kitten canned because, as you said, I heard it was involved in the recall. I think adult will be fine as long as I keep feeding her kitten dry, though.
And I'll start warming up her wet food at morning at night, thankyou!

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

Okay... well she's going to the vet's in 3 weeks. I hate to take an extra trip and pay for a doctor's visit. Can we have her wormed/tested in a couple weeks when she goes in to get spayed?
I will see if they'll let me return the senior food and exchange it for an adult. They did not have kitten canned because, as you said, I heard it was involved in the recall. I think adult will be fine as long as I keep feeding her kitten dry, though.
And I'll start warming up her wet food at morning at night, thankyou!
It's ultimately your call. I would take her in right away to check for worms because if she has worms she may have diarrhea caused by the worms...so this is not so good in a kittnen. But it's your call...

Can't you find another brand of canned food that is made for kittens or do you just have access to Nutro?

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She does not have diarrhea and otherwise acts completely normal, so if she does have worms, I think we can wait three weeks. If she shows any signs of becoming sick at all I'll take her in.
I have access to lots of brands, I just heard Nutro was recommended... what would you suggest for a wet food for Zoe? Something Nutro's price or lower, budget friendly.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RETURN the SENIOR... senior and wt control are the only foods that should NEVER be feed to kittens under 6 months...

Adult would be okay since she is getting kitten dry ....

Are you shopping at Petco or Petsmart??? trouble is 98% of pet food was hit by the recall or made by the same manufacturers....

You can go to all stage wet like Meow mix about 34 -50 cents a packet

I understand you live on a ranch??? Does the large animal vet come??? they would likely be able to worm her if there

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I live on a ranch, but our vet doesn't come out except to preg-check cows or test for Trick in the bulls, etc. He won't be out for quite some time. She's 9 weeks... can I get her spayed at 10? If so I can get her spayed in a week, that way she can get wormed sooner. I was gonna wait till 12...
Then I will return the Senior. (If I can find the reciept!
) I thought Meow Mix was bad for cats? Or atleast, not good... Is it decent atleast to give her? Healthy?
And I shop at PetCo, that's the only petstore anywhere near us except for little run-down places that don't sell cat stuff, only fish, reptile, and rodent stuff.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petco has natural balence wet and that is a good all stage... Meow mix wet is good read the labels it IS FISH heavy thou..

If you can get her done asap

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natural Balance... I'll remember that!
So 10 weeks isn't too soon for her? We're also gonna get 3 other females and 2 males fixed with her.