litter boxes - rubbermaids?

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is probably not where this should go, but this is the only forum I go in to. I really should get out more.

My question is: I believe I read on here a few weeks ago that some of you use big rubbermaid containers for litter boxes? The more I think about this the better it sounds. Are these the big ones? If so, how much litter do you have to put in there? It does seem that it would keep them from missing and kicking litter all over the floor. Do they mind jumping in? I could be imagining that I read something about this, but I keep forgetting to ask. Anyone use these? I think I would much rather have one giant one than several little ones...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have 2 of them, and they are AWESOME! Harley is my litter flicker- and usually gets litter everywhere! But with these, we don't really get litter anywhere on the floor, and they don't mind jumping in and out- it really keeps them from going in there just to play in the litter

They are about $4 each - and I fill it about 1-2 inches deep of litter, so they have enough to dig in.

Another plus- is that since the sides are higher up, they don't scratch the wall around it, since after they are done using the box, Harley usually likes to scratch at the sides of the box, and he used to scratch the wall- so now he just scratches the box, and not my walls!

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd150039

This is the one we use : 26 qts. Of course there are bigger ones too, but we don't need one that big- these are big enough!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We made this one for Oberon when he had hip problems and couldn't climb into a regular litterbox. Boy do our kitties love it! Sparkle fell asleep in it when she was a kitten. It's about 36" long by 20" wide and we call it The Palace.

BTW it takes two boxes of litter to fill it. Lily throws litter like crazy so the walls are great, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I didn't THINK I was imagining it, but you never know. Do you have a preference for the clear ones...or do your cats? I use the scoopable litter. Do you think it would take a whole tub of it? I guess I could mix it with other stuff, since they wouldn't be able to flick it out. One of my kitties insists on going in after the other to make sure he covers everything up really well. I think she is a little obsesive about it. Ok, a LOT obsesive about it!! But the better it's covered, the less it smells!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

Thanks. I didn't THINK I was imagining it, but you never know. Do you have a preference for the clear ones...or do your cats? I use the scoopable litter. Do you think it would take a whole tub of it? I guess I could mix it with other stuff, since they wouldn't be able to flick it out. One of my kitties insists on going in after the other to make sure he covers everything up really well. I think she is a little obsesive about it. Ok, a LOT obsesive about it!! But the better it's covered, the less it smells!!
I have the clear ones.... I don't think it matters....

I don't use a whole bag/box of litter tho, it only takes a little... like I said, a few inches deep is enough. We use scoopable/clumping litter too

I think Rubbermaid Totes are the best litterboxes ever!
I'll never use anything else!

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

We made this one for Oberon when he had hip problems and couldn't climb into a regular litterbox. Boy do our kitties love it! Sparkle fell asleep in it when she was a kitten. It's about 36" long by 20" wide and we call it The Palace.

BTW it takes two boxes of litter to fill it. Lily throws litter like crazy so the walls are great, too.
Thats a nifty idea. They didn't have a problem going into it? Maybe because it is bigger? I had a cover for one of my litter boxes, but Tiki didn't like to go in all of the way and perched on the edge, and you know, left little presents for me to pick up.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

Thats a nifty idea. They didn't have a problem going into it? Maybe because it is bigger?...
We didn't have any problems. They were used to open boxes, with no lids, and went right into this one. It's really huge. I've noticed they circle around in it - I think they really like the spaciousness. I fill the litter to about four inches high. That way nothing touches the bottom of the box and it's easier to scoop, and I don't have to wash it out as much.

We put a boot tray at the opening that catches any litter when they come out. Might work well for your percher until she gets used to it.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody. I definately know what I will be doing this weekend. I have 2 cats. Do you think one will be enough, or should I get two? Oohh, maybe I could try one lidless, and one with a door....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use one for our foster kittens that are old enough to go in the kitten cage
For my adult kitties though i use regular covered litter pans with the flap and i'm happy with those

For my foster kittens though- the regular open litter pans that normally fit in the small cat cages were just aweful- they flinged litter EVERYWHERE and were soooo messy! Especially when i have multiples! So Colin decided we should make a "covered" litter pan for them to keep all the litter inside and give them a bit more privacy! I love it! We just have one of the small little rubbermaid things- the clear one so i can see where the kittens are at all times.(although for an adult kitty you may want a solid one so they have a little more privacy). We kept the top on that came with it and just cut a little square out of the container for them to hop in and out of- we folded the part that we cut down so they can step in and out easier
I'll try to snap a picture the next time i think of it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use them for my boys, with lids on and holes cut in the sides. Because the plastic is hard(and some brands are brittle) you may need a dremel tool or something else to cut it with, if you use a knife you could seriously hurt yourself.

See what's on sale, sometimes different colored ones may be cheaper. Or even the tinted clear ones. Nothing says style like a neon orange or pink tinted litter box....

I preferred clear so I could easily see in the box, and so the boys could too (Sho's a bit clumsy in the litter box
).

Larger boxes, sorry I don't know the exact quart size of mine, may take 20 to 25lbs of litter to get a 3-4 inch layer.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
samantha- the target out on g'town parkway has some on sale the last time i was there!
Big Lots has them too- but i think the closest one to Collierville is the one off Summer Avenue in East Memphis

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought a couple of the black tubs that they mix mortar in at Home Depot. They're pretty big, possibly not as tall as a regular large hooded litter box. (minus the hood) They're inexpensive, but I like the fact that they're black. Uhm...stains don't show up.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 8 large rubber-maid tubs. I will never use any other litter box.

I don't use the lids any more. Tigger, Max, Sampson and Pooh are big boys and they just feel too cramped.

oh one more thing it does take lots of litter. I normally have 3 to 4 inches of litter in each box. Which is 3/4 of a 30 pound box of cat litter. So for the first set up you will use a full box. I do a complete change about once a month.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, i've never thought of using those before... I may try them..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy the Sterilite ones simply because they are cheaper than Rubbermaid. I don't bother with the lids and the cats love them. I have 3 large ones along with other boxes throughout the house. The large sterilite ones are used far more than the other types of boxes.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the rubbermaid people would be reading this thinking, "Litterboxes! No!
That's not what they are supposed to be used for!"
I, however, think it's a GREAT idea...