Took my new kitty Ellie to get spayed and she was pregnant!

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i did not get to see my phone until after school today and i see NINE missed calls from the hospital and THREE Voicemails. so i am freaking out. i immediately think she died or something close to it.

so i listen to the voicemails. they say, we checked her out and she's 40 days pregnant. and i am and i had taken her in not too long before this and they didn't see this??? :censor::censor::censor:??? so the first message says they are just going to the declaw and they will wait to hear back from me. then the next one is 10 minutes later. same thing. then the last one says, that they have to do the spay because she's under the anesthetic and if they are going to do it they have to do it now. so they did it. they took her 2/3 developed kittens out and spayed her. i am so sad right now. i'm not really sure what we would have done had i been able to make a decision, but i wish i could have known. and maybe we would have spayed her anyway?? i don't know. but still the thought that she was going to be a mommy and we took her babies makes me sad. so i called again and was a little angry that they hadn't seen the pregnancy earlier, but she said it's just hard with cats . at 26 days they may not have been able to tell.

then we also found out she has tapeworms. lovely. but luckily harry can't get them and it's easily treatable. and she's doing okay from the surgeries. they said she was awake and walking around, but just a bit out of it.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now! I'm so sorry about the kittens; I am glad that Ellie is recovering from her surgery. That would have been an awful decision to have to make.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

That would have been an awful decision to have to make.
yeah, that's really what i'm trying to think about. and what's actually making me feel better. the fact that i really don't know if i would have wanted to make that decision. at least this way, we still get to keep her and she's all taken care of.

but i may dispute the extra money they are charging me because she was pregnant. how can you charge me when you didn't let me make the decision???

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Can I ask why she was declawed?
we wanted her declawed. i know this is a controversial topic and many people don't agree. but that was our decision.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by berries781

but i may dispute the extra money they are charging me because she was pregnant. how can you charge me when you didn't let me make the decision???
well, you can try. i personally think they shouldn't have even anesthetized her before getting your ok. i tried to dispute an extra charge for Java, who was spayed while in heat. i based my complaint on the fact that i told them she was in heat, & they said nothing to me about an extra charge until i was picking her up. they took off $5 of the $20 extra... i haven't been back to that vet, either. i was dealing with the reception/billing person, not the vet, but i wrote to him about it, & he didn't answer my letter. that's the reason i didn't return.
BTW - just FYI - this site is very anti-declaw. please consider leaving your other kitty's claws intact. declawed & clawed cats can co-exist. i have 2 clawed & 2 declawed, plus my newest month old, who will not be declawed. they rarely use their claws against each other, so you shouldn't worry about that.

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, you can try. i personally think they shouldn't have even anesthetized her before getting your ok. i tried to dispute an extra charge for Java, who was spayed while in heat. i based my complaint on the fact that i told them she was in heat, & they said nothing to me about an extra charge until i was picking her up. they took off $5 of the $20 extra... i haven't been back to that vet, either. i was dealing with the reception/billing person, not the vet, but i wrote to him about it, & he didn't answer my letter. that's the reason i didn't return.
BTW - just FYI - this site is very anti-declaw. please consider leaving your other kitty's claws intact. declawed & clawed cats can co-exist. i have 2 clawed & 2 declawed, plus my newest month old, who will not be declawed. they rarely use their claws against each other, so you shouldn't worry about that.
well, they had my okay to use anethetic because i didn't know she was pregnant! so technically they had my persmission for that part. it's just the spaying part that really upsets me.

and i guess i will no longer be commenting on my cat's claws here.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it seems like a no brainer to abort the kittens. I mean she is already under. Unless you wanted to take care of deformed kittens. Frankly I am suprised the vet said anything. What's done is done.

In the end, noone asked your cat if she wanted her nails removed, and no one asked you if you wanted her babies removed. That's the way it goes, I guess.

I would like to know how she got pregnant in the first place? Was she running outside? Now you declaw her and she is going to be indoors only?

Good luck. I hope she recovers from her amputations well.

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

Well it seems like a no brainer to abort the kittens. I mean she is already under. Unless you wanted to take care of deformed kittens. Frankly I am suprised the vet said anything. What's done is done.

In the end, noone asked your cat if she wanted her nails removed, and no one asked you if you wanted her babies removed. That's the way it goes, I guess.

I would like to know how she got pregnant in the first place? Was she running outside? Now you declaw her and she is going to be indoors only?

Good luck. I hope she recovers from her amputations well.
she got pregnant because she was a barn cat and we took her home to be an indoor cat.

and thanks to that last comment, i will be not be posting here anymore. thanks.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

she got pregnant because she was a barn cat and we took her home to be an indoor cat.

and thanks to that last comment, i will be not be posting here anymore. thanks.
well sheesh, a little overreacting don't you think? we are all very nice weren't we? poor kitty, but at least she is spayed!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

What is done is done and chasing new members away doesn't help them get the advice they are asking for

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Guys, remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

What is done is done and chasing new members away doesn't help them get the advice they are asking for
i know i said i was done, but i wanted to thank you for this comment.

i didn't feel i was overreacting. i came on here for support for this tough issue i was having and having someone tell me that they hope my cat recovers from her amputations is not what i call support. i didn't realize it was a big issue on here and i'm sorry for that, but i really didn't appreciate that.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i didn't feel i was overreacting. i came on here for support for this tough issue i was having and having someone tell me that they hope my cat recovers from her amputations is not what i call support. i didn't realize it was a big issue on here and i'm sorry for that, but i really didn't appreciate that.
Well we are glad you are back! It is just a tough and controversial thing because not only is it illegal everywhere else in the world, which should say something, but there are so many simple and cheaper alternatives.

But anyways, it is a sensitive thing but what's done is done. I hope it was at least a laser surgery? No I don't want to know
Good luck with your kitties though and hopefully it won't give them any troubles later on in life!

Welcome!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think that other post was pretty harsh and I am not going to jump down your throat. I do want to say that I hope your cat recovers from her amputations, but I don't mean that in a mean way. I mean, I hope your cat recovers well from her declaw. I also hope she recovers quickly and well from her spay. And, I hope you don't beat yourself up too much over the kittens, since you didn't know about it and there is nothing that you can do at this point. So, it's sad but try to stay positive that your cat did well throughout the surgery and will hopefully recover fully soon.

I would be pretty darn mad if the vet had gone ahead without consulting me, too. I mean, didn't they figure out she was pregnant BEFORE giving the anaesthetic? Why even continue without alerting you there was a change in her condition (or at least a change in what they had thought was her condition)? Seems pretty unnecessary to me. You should definitely have a few choice words for them!

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I would be pretty darn mad if the vet had gone ahead without consulting me, too. I mean, didn't they figure out she was pregnant BEFORE giving the anaesthetic? Why even continue without alerting you there was a change in her condition (or at least a change in what they had thought was her condition)? Seems pretty unnecessary to me. You should definitely have a few choice words for them!
they said that she was so tense before hand that they couldn't tell. it wasn't until the gave her the anesthetic she relaxed and then they could feel them. and they did try to contact me, i just couldn't use my phone at that point.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I think that other post was pretty harsh and I am not going to jump down your throat. I do want to say that I hope your cat recovers from her amputations, but I don't mean that in a mean way. I mean, I hope your cat recovers well from her declaw. I also hope she recovers quickly and well from her spay. And, I hope you don't beat yourself up too much over the kittens, since you didn't know about it and there is nothing that you can do at this point. So, it's sad but try to stay positive that your cat did well throughout the surgery and will hopefully recover fully soon.

Well she could be a large cat or had a small litter. Maybe it just wasn't obvious yet. You can usually assume that if you take a cat in from outside, and it is an intact female, that it is probably preggers. But maybe the vet didn't know, didn't do any presurgery exam. I don't know.

But it really isn't a big deal, cats are not people. I have to do this all the time with the kitties I rescue. It is just a fact of life. There are far too many kitties out there for us to let more and more be born. Sad but true.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
came on here for support for this tough issue i was having and having someone tell me that they hope my cat recovers from her amputations is not what i call support
I wasn't trying to be harsh in my comment. That is what I refer declawing to, amputations. When I go into surgery and a female is getting spayed I tell the vet "how's the amputation of the uterus going?"

Removing a part of an animal is an amputation. How is that offensive?
http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/amputation
lol..I truly do wish your cat the best recovery!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Well she could be a large cat or had a small litter. Maybe it just wasn't obvious yet. You can usually assume that if you take a cat in from outside, and it is an intact female, that it is probably preggers. But maybe the vet didn't know, didn't do any presurgery exam. I don't know.

But it really isn't a big deal, cats are not people. I have to do this all the time with the kitties I rescue. It is just a fact of life. There are far too many kitties out there for us to let more and more be born. Sad but true.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the termination, just with the fact that a vet would go ahead with the procedure without informing the owner that there has been a change. I expect my vet to inform me of ANYTHING that is different than we had discussed, even though 9 times out of 10 I just give the go-ahead anyway. Of course, I usually have a cell number that I can be reached at at all times, which makes it easier. Also, I would really hope that the vet did a presurgery exam.

berries781

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

yeah, she's pretty little so i'm guessing just a small litter. but actually i don't want to think about that now because actually thinking about the kittens makes me sad!

and you're right, there are too many kitties out there already. and that's why we wanted to spay. i just didn't realize i'd be taking kitties that were already in there!