good shampoo?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my little 4 week old kitten Firefox is rather grimy, & not too good at washing herself yet.
& my adults are still at the hissing stage with her.
i'd like to give her a bath, but i'm unsure of what shampoo would be best to use.
any suggestions from any long-time fosterers? or anyone else who knows a good suggestion? my feral list likes some kind of peppermint soap they get at Trader Joe's, but there aren't any Trader Joe's around here...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are not bathing often you can use a mild shampoo like Baby Shampoo. But I'd rather use the more expensive brands like Pantane or Nexxus (with conditioners). My rexes were washed in Nexxus Simply Silver (white cats).

Charlie has a special pet shampoo like the breeder uses - Kenic Sno-Flake - works wonderful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If you are not bathing often you can use a mild shampoo like Baby Shampoo. But I'd rather use the more expensive brands like Pantane or Nexxus (with conditioners). My rexes were washed in Nexxus Simply Silver (white cats).

Charlie has a special pet shampoo like the breeder uses - Kenic Sno-Flake - works wonderful
i think i have a nexxus therappe knockoff, & i know i have some pantene hydrating curls plus the hydrating curls conditioner. i just didn't want to use something too harsh for such a young one.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
johnson and johnson baby shampoo is perfect!!!!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use anti-bacterial or regular dish soap on all the cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I use anti-bacterial or regular dish soap on all the cats
i think that'd be way too strong for a month-old kitten in poor health...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Purpose, which is basically baby shampoo, it's made by Johnson&Johnson, but it's meant for your face instead of baby-head. Doesn't smell as strong.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was so worried that people-shampoo might contain anything harmful that we got some pet shampoo from the DVM brand (our at the time recommended a certain shampoo). They're not heavily fragranced...the guys just come out smelling clean!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH..there is a GREAT one that I had gotten as a sample at the vet's office...it smells like coconut. UGH. I can't remember what it is called, but it ROCKED!!!! Totally took the greasies out of Ashie's fur for the LONGEST time....she was soft, yummy smelling...it was awesome.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take it back...it was HyLyt....GREAT STUFF. I had gotten something like at Pet Smart one time and it was TERRIBLE. I am now just wary of over-the-counter stuff. But hey...if you can get a free sample of the HyLyt...go for it. IT IS THE BEST!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a kitten that young, I really like the "silkening" shampoos as they get the poop out easy without much fuss. I also like Oatmeal shampoos because they are good on the coat. But, if it comes down to it, I use regular old Baby shampoo!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think that'd be way too strong for a month-old kitten in poor health...
Then in that case I would use regular Dawn. It is what is used to clean off dying wildlife covered in oil, kittens infested in fleas and lice and all sorts of animal related things. I used to think it would be too harsh also before I realized it is used in rescue specifically for the fragile, sick animals to get the nasty stuff off of them.