The Dinner Table

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was setting the table for dinner and was wondering how do you normally eat dinner? Do you go all out and set the table with nice cups and plates? Or do you sit infront of the TV for dinner? Right now it is just my husband and I but I like to set the table nicely with nice plates, cups and silverware and I like to put the food in serving bowls on the table so we can server ourselves. I do that for company as well. Every once in a while we will take our food in front of the TV and eat but I prefer sitting at the dinner table. What do you do?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

I was setting the table for dinner and was wondering how do you normally eat dinner? Do you go all out and set the table with nice cups and plates? Or do you sit infront of the TV for dinner? Right now it is just my husband and I but I like to set the table nicely with nice plates, cups and silverware and I like to put the food in serving bowls on the table so we can server ourselves. I do that for company as well. Every once in a while we will take our food in front of the TV and eat but I prefer sitting at the dinner table. What do you do?
We have a small table with 4 chairs.So, the kids go in the Kitchen to eat usually, unless we have a DVD to watch.Then we all sit around in the Living room.I make up everyones plate..............even hubby's.Something my Mom did with Dad........ and I just followed in her foot steps.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't have kids so it's just me and my boyfriend (and our room mate). We usually just eat around the TV, or eat up at the counter. Since it's nice outside, we like to go down to the pool and grill out and eat around the pool. It's so nice living in a condo with these extra perks!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the weather's nice, I like to fix my plate and take it out into the sunroom with a glass of wine. I like to set on the sofa and read a book, listen to the birds and the windchimes.

In the winter I usually eat at the table, or while playing on the computer (usually out of the microwave box it comes in....hey, it's just me...and I don't like to cook for just myself) or watching TV (hockey game) in the living room.

On Sundays, I like to go to the grocery store and pick up all the ingredients for a nice dinner. I'll take it over to my parents house and make dinner for the three of us. Mom sets a nice table with pretty plates and wine glasses. I usually take over one of my bazillion bottles of white wine. I get my cooking fix, my family fix and a we all get a good, homecooked meal. Mom even washes the dishes!!! I really enjoy my cooking Sundays with my family!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pasta, cereal or sandwiches we eat at our desks in the den. Full dinners at the dining room table. We don't have a kitchen set (no room).

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We eat in the living room- we have the bar/island in the kitchen, but we never use it to eat at... ever

When I'm at home with my family tho, we always eat at the table

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our dining room is currently being used for storage, even though we have a GREAT table and matching chairs. We don't really have the best set-up...mum and dad normally go in the loft conversion with the T.V. My sister and I normally go in our own living room to watch T.V.
I do wish we all sat as a family around the table but there's no room until we move house.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sit all by myself at my kitchen table (though usually with some feline under-cover observation from the other chairs), usually reading a book. I hate doing dishes with a passion, so if I can eat out of the dish it's cooked in, I'll always choose that, even if it does make me feel a little trashy.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several nights a week i eat at my sister Kimmy's house (that's what i did tonight) i usually bring something and we all eat together as a family. That's nice
At home though- Colin and I usually sit side by side on the couch and hae tv trays beside us on the rare occassion we both have a night off together and we watch a movie or tv. When i make a nice dinner though- i light a candle and we sit at the kitchen table together

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really all depends on what I am having or rather whether I have cooked or just brought something home. Most of the time I sit at the table however if I am having pizza or a sub I will eat in front of the television.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I cook, we eat at the table, which is 90% of the time. Once every two weeks or so we get take-out or pizza, and we eat it watching The Simpsons.

We use our stoneware every meal except on Christmas - we have snowman plates.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Occasionally John and I eat at the table, but we usually eat downstairs in our room in front of the computer or tv!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its just me and hubby, we eat in front of the tv. If we have MIL over, sometimes we eat at the table, unless there is something on that she wants to watch.
If we have ALL his family over (his sister and her boyfriend, his brother, wife and 2 kids and mother...and anyone else. They all fend for themselves! Our dining room table only seats 4, we have a bar with 2 bar stools and snack trays. Thank god for snack trays!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Week nights, if it's just us, we set the kitchen table casually. Friday nights, special occasions, or if there is one more person to seat, we use the dining room, and somewhat more formal setting appropriate to the occasion. During the summer, we might have any of those meals at the small table on the back porch, or on the lawn. We don't eat in front of the TV.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also like eating at the dinner table. When Jennifer was little, I insisted that we eat as a family and talk about our day and have one-on-one time as a family with no TV. Now that Jen is 27 we often have the TV on in the background while we eat but we still use that time of the day to be together because after dinner we all have our own chores and things to do. I feel it is important (moreso if one has children) to have that family time without TV or outside distractions. That was my personal choice anyway.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're pretty casual and usually eat in the living room. When there's company we eat at the table, though, and make things a little more formal.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since there's just me, its usually in the living room. Even when I cook Sunday dinner for my daughter & family its on T.V. trays in the L.R. The kitchen is not big enough. In the morning before work I make my coffee in a mug. However on days I'm off work I always use a cup and saucer. It just seems nicer.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like to eat at the table. i try to most of the time. our tv is visible from the table, and now that we have the giant flat screen tv, the hubby has no excuse.
we have a small table--built for 2 people. i love it. i guess they are called "dinette" sets? anyway, i grew up eating at the table. i prefer it.

i eat breakfast at the table every day. stimpy usually sits next to me.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating at the dining table is a major routine in our house. It sort of 'rounds' the day off. I always have a table-cloth, mats & sideplates, sometimes a candle too
but the best stuff only comes out for special occasions and when we have friends over.