Various adoption questions.....

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel pretty idiotic asking these questions since I've had a cat since I was 12! But I've had them when my questions didn't exactly apply to me. Now they do since I have kids and we are in a whole different ball game now.

1. Children. Huh huh. I've seen more cats that don't like 3 year olds....and understandably why. Sometimes I don't dig my 3 year old, either. But here is what I want to know. If a cat shows no fear or no aggression towards that child at first meeting and lets the kid hug it....pet its ears, etc...is that generally a good indication the cat is ok with that kid?? Granted, I am sure things can change depending upon what the kid may do, but really, overall...would you say that if the cat doesn't run and hide and head-butts the kid for pats....good sign, overall????

2. For more than one cat, can 2 females be put together?? Yes, both would be "UNABLE TO HAVE KITTENS" and very close in age (1-2 years). Their bio says they are both good with other cats, but who knows what that really means. In general, are two females ok or no? I've never had two at one time..each I had were VERY MUCH ONLY CATS! Would not tolerate another cat inside her doors under ANY circumstances.

3.Any other things to watch for when "feeling out" a cat before adoption? It is so hard with just the limited amount of time you have with them. I know with Ashie, that cat just wanted out of my arms and on the table to go sniff around, but once I got her home, OMGGGG...she was THE BEST thing. I cannot even believe I got so lucky with her....since you never really know THE REAL REASON an owner is giving a cat up.

Oh...and...do you think I need to like clean carpets before bringing home a new cat or no? I know we did this after Angel had died, but didn't know if it was something we had to do.

Thanks for any help with my dilemma!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, #1 sounds like a great sign. Consider that cats in a shelter or rescue environment are usually more scared and withdrawn than they'd normally be... so one who is relaxed and friendly in that situation will probably be the same in a home.

Two females can live together. If they're not already familiar with each other, you'll have to follow the procedures for a gradual, successful introduction (there are some helpful threads here). If they're a similar age, that's good too... since older cats can be irritated and exhausted by kittens.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

I feel pretty idiotic asking these questions since I've had a cat since I was 12! But I've had them when my questions didn't exactly apply to me. Now they do since I have kids and we are in a whole different ball game now.

1. Children. Huh huh. I've seen more cats that don't like 3 year olds....and understandably why. Sometimes I don't dig my 3 year old, either. But here is what I want to know. If a cat shows no fear or no aggression towards that child at first meeting and lets the kid hug it....pet its ears, etc...is that generally a good indication the cat is ok with that kid?? Granted, I am sure things can change depending upon what the kid may do, but really, overall...would you say that if the cat doesn't run and hide and head-butts the kid for pats....good sign, overall????

2. For more than one cat, can 2 females be put together?? Yes, both would be "UNABLE TO HAVE KITTENS" and very close in age (1-2 years). Their bio says they are both good with other cats, but who knows what that really means. In general, are two females ok or no? I've never had two at one time..each I had were VERY MUCH ONLY CATS! Would not tolerate another cat inside her doors under ANY circumstances.

3.Any other things to watch for when "feeling out" a cat before adoption? It is so hard with just the limited amount of time you have with them. I know with Ashie, that cat just wanted out of my arms and on the table to go sniff around, but once I got her home, OMGGGG...she was THE BEST thing. I cannot even believe I got so lucky with her....since you never really know THE REAL REASON an owner is giving a cat up.

Oh...and...do you think I need to like clean carpets before bringing home a new cat or no? I know we did this after Angel had died, but didn't know if it was something we had to do.

Thanks for any help with my dilemma!
I perfectly understand your need to ask these questions. You haven't had to adopt in a long while and you have a child to consider. I think it is great that you are taking your daughter with you to help choose. Generally speaking if they are okay with your child at the shelter (which can be a very high stress location for them) and even looking for attention, then chances are that will usually continue at home. I would suggest, however, that the 1st home interaction between the child and the cat are monitored. The changes for the cat can be stressful and I am sure your child would want to hug "their kitty". Just take the intergration slowly and keep it supervised.

As for your 2nd question, I have found that females can be more territorial, but they can definately be intergrated, especially if you bring them home at the same time. My 1st 2 cats were females out of different litters, but as they were both kittens it was easier to adjust for them. I think old cats will be fine, especially if they come from the same shelter on the same day. I think that overall the cats would be good company for each other when you are unable to be home.

For your 3rd question all I can say is do what ever feels natural to you. If you like 2 cats at the same shelter see if you can get them together there to see how they interact with each other, you and your child.

It certainly won't hurt to clean your carpets, as to the necessity, I don't know. I am sure someone more knowledgeable then I will be able to help.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a cat in our shelter herre. They said she was great with kids, but I wondered. Before I could stop a 1 year old, she had the kitty in a headlock. Kitty did nothing but purr her heart out.

With a 3 year old, I would personally go for a kitty who has lived with younger children before. Otherwise, mess with the kitty...tug on her tail some, play with her ears & feet. See how she reacts. It will give you a general idea of her tolerance.

As for two females getting along together, that depends completely on the two cats. Honestly, you never really know. If you bring home 2 adult females at the same time, they will both be in new territory & establishing themselves as the same time...so IMO it's a good idea to bring them both home at the exact same time.

Ask the shelter workers what they are basing "good with other cats" on for both kitties. Find out if you can introduce them there.