TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwiz #51 - What day is it today?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KatKwiz #51 - What day is it today?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 


I made Alley get up early this morning to design this new logo and is she ever mad!
According to TCS rules, how much bigger, in bytes, could she have made it
post #2 of 27
A picture or image in a post has to be less than 33Kb in size (33,000 bytes)... So if that is 98,890 bytes it actually has to be smaller by 65,890 bytes... that doesn't seem right... just going by what I found though...
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post


I made Alley get up early this morning to design this new logo and is she ever mad!
According to TCS rules, how much bigger, in bytes, could she have made it
umm Actually it needs to go smaller.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115113
"Total signature size can't be larger than 30 Kb (30,000 bytes). This also includes any smilies added to a signature"

The width can ggo to 640 if you shrink the file to 30kb or lower.

ETA: forgot to copy
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post


I made Alley get up early this morning to design this new logo and is she ever mad!
According to TCS rules, how much bigger, in bytes, could she have made it
Wednesday. That's the answer to your thread title.
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo View Post
umm Actually it needs to go smaller.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115113
"Total signature size can't be larger than 30 Kb (30,000 bytes). This also includes any smilies added to a signature"

The width can ggo to 640 if you shrink the file to 30kb or lower.

ETA: forgot to copy
The banner says you have to have 1200 or less posts to play... uh oh, your over on posts! But who knows if thats right, he didn't specify!

I think your answer is right tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
Wednesday. That's the answer to your thread title.
your a smarty pants!!
post #6 of 27
Oops! Didn't see the 1200 post thingy. Well if anyone thinks I am right they can take my answer as their own.
post #7 of 27
When I sourced the picture siggy*, my computer said it was 23,972 bytes.

Since the limit is 30,000 bytes...it would mean there are only 9028 bytes that can be added to this particular picture size.

*I sourced it by right clicking on it, and going to Properties.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog's Mom View Post
When I sourced the picture siggy*, my computer said it was 23,972 bytes.

Since the limit is 30,000 bytes...it would mean there are only 9028 bytes that can be added to this particular picture size.

*I sourced it by right clicking on it, and going to Properties.
That's odd.. I did the same thing but when I clicked properties it said 98,890 bytes... it could be this computer though, I'm at work and it's ancient!
post #9 of 27
When I clicked on the Newbie Day header I got that number too. I got the other number when I clicked just on the siggy with the picture of Alley.
post #10 of 27
What's the question again?
What day is it?
The size limit for the logo that is an image?
The size limit for your current signature?
We seem to be answering different questions here. I think we need some clarity.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie225 View Post
That's odd.. I did the same thing but when I clicked properties it said 98,890 bytes... it could be this computer though, I'm at work and it's ancient!
I get the same thing on a newer computer
post #12 of 27
Total signature size can't be larger than 30 Kb (30,000 bytes). This also includes any smilies added to a signature.


I right clicked mine and it said 98890 bytes. If that is the case, then it needs to be smaller, according to the rules (above)
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo View Post
What's the question again?
What day is it?
The size limit for the logo that is an image?
The size limit for your current signature?
We seem to be answering different questions here. I think we need some clarity.
I'm pretty sure the question is how much bigger the new logo could have been made, not the siggy... at least that's what I got from the post
post #14 of 27
This image is 98890 bytes...
[quote=Persi & Alley;1817585]

But the picture/logo/siggy with the cranky picture of Alley in it, is only 23,972 bytes. (I keep calling it a siggy since it looks like the standard size/shape as most of our siggys)

Since the last question asked was "According to TCS rules, how much bigger, in bytes, could she have made it?" I took it to mean, how much bigger could Alley have made her picture. (meaning the sig)

That was just my take on it though.
post #15 of 27
That being the case, then my answer is 6,028 bytes bigger.
post #16 of 27
All I am going to say is boy I'm glad it's a Newbie day!
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Please note that I am referring to the Newbie Day logo and not my siggy. Also, I have sent a PM to Hydroaxe to clarify a point. So hold on, I learn just as much as anybody with these questions!
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
I get the same thing on a newer computer
98890 is correct. I did say logo and not siggy. I am awaiting a decision from Hydroaxe but I do not believe we have a correct answer yet.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Please note that I am referring to the Newbie Day logo and not my siggy. Also, I have sent a PM to Hydroaxe to clarify a point. So hold on, I learn just as much as anybody with these questions!
so, you asked a question that you don't even know the answer to? that doesn't seem quite right
post #20 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
so, you asked a question that you don't even know the answer to? that doesn't seem quite right
I of course believe I have the correct answer but whenever there is some doubt cast I will always confirm the answer before awarding the points. I could do no less. There is definately some conflicting information posted on The Cat Site that has been called to my attention and it will be cleared up. There is a correct answer, it will be clarified, and if we have a winner the proper points will be awarded. If there is no winner, the correct answer will be given. The end result is that important information will be learned and that is what KatKwiz is all about. I would be very negligent if there was some doubt cast on a question and I did NOT confirm it.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I of course believe I have the correct answer but whenever there is some doubt cast I will always confirm the answer before awarding the points. I could do no less. There is definately some conflicting information posted on The Cat Site that has been called to my attention and it will be cleared up. There is a correct answer, it will be clarified, and if we have a winner the proper points will be awarded. If there is no winner, the correct answer will be given. The end result is that important information will be learned and that is what KatKwiz is all about. I would be very negligent if there was some doubt cast on a question and I did NOT confirm it.
I also noticed the conflicting information. I always stick to under 30k.
Heck we all learned something today.
post #22 of 27
Yes there certainly is... the info I found says less than 33k.. that is 33,000bytes correct?
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
I am getting mixed reactions to whether my logo is a siggy, uploaded attachment (which I thought it was) or something else. I am still waiting for the final judge. If it is a siggy then we will still have the 30K and 33K conflict). But it is not a siggy. If it is an uploaded attachment the answer would have been 21,110.

I just received this from our forums administrator:

Photobucket isn't a requirement, I just said that because it's what I use It seems to me that your image is linked back to your website, meaning it's not an attachment. This explains an attachment. With it being remote linked, the general rule is to keep it under 33K. Hope this has helped in clarifying!


Here is what I asked Ryan (he was the last to edit this):

Top Cat
  • 1200 posts and 150 days in membership
  • 50 stored PMs
  • 119 total avatars to choose from
  • Ability to upload custom avatar
  • 120 Kb in uploaded attachments
  • Ability to create custom usertitle
  • Posting access to IMO, if over 18.
The logo that I am using on my KatKwiz question today (Newbie Day) is an uploaded attachment, is it not?
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129924

This will be sorted out as soon as I hear from Ryan. It looks like the award will go to the first person to mention 33K but I know there is a conflict here. More later.
__________________
post #24 of 27
No, that is not an uploaded attachment, it links to your website.

Here is some information about attachments:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/faq...l&titlesonly=0
post #25 of 27
This is an uploaded attachment.
LL
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie225 View Post
A picture or image in a post has to be less than 33Kb in size (33,000 bytes)... So if that is 98,890 bytes it actually has to be smaller by 65,890 bytes... that doesn't seem right... just going by what I found though...
Well, thanks to everybody for setting me straight. Although I do not feel straight on the 30K/33K thing. But, as mentioned earlier, I know you can find 30K here and there, but like all the other information I have gleaned today, I am going to have to go with the 33Kb furnished by our forums administrator. I am sorry to those others of you that found other information but I am already sorry I got up this morning. Which is my way of finally getting around to tell you that you are the KatKwiz Whiz of the Day. And you are a real newbie! Not only do you win 750 points but you have won a place in the Hall of Fame. And you just missed first place by five posts!
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I of course believe I have the correct answer but whenever there is some doubt cast I will always confirm the answer before awarding the points. I could do no less. There is definately some conflicting information posted on The Cat Site that has been called to my attention and it will be cleared up.
Since I've been asked about this, I guess I have to clarify that nobody has been right. The answer to the original question would be: "No limit in bytes."

There are areas where additional details exist about images, but there is no conflicting information about it. The limit for uploaded attachments is under 33kb. This is for uploaded picture attachments only. Attachments are not the same thing as a link or an embedded image.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwiz #51 - What day is it today?