Too hot to sleep with a kitten hot water bottle...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic is just getting bigger and bigger. I like to sleep on my side, and he has taken to sleeping sprawled out along the uppermost side of my body from my hip to my shoulder, with his chin resting on my shoulder.

It's very cute, and I love that he wants to sleep that close to me, but it's just too hot to be covered by a 'feline blanket' at the moment!

Anyone else have this 'problem'?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, but I think that it is sweet too that he wants to sleep with you, I would just let him sleep with me.

Our beloved Sambo used to do that too, and there are days I would give everything I own just to feel him do that again.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I woke up with almost all of our cats perched on my side. All the way from the ankle to armpit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Can you get a fan? It may be just enough to make you comfortable and to still let Sonic sleep next to you.
I have been thinking about this, but every time I consider getting a floor standing fan as an option, one of the cats does something that makes me think that they don't have an ounce of common sense between them. I have a mental image of Sonic hanging from the mesh casing swinging backwards and forwards with the fan in oscillating mode, or Radar trying to stick his feet or tongue through the mesh (I caught him the other day sitting on the toaster which was hot because I'd just used it, 'fishing' in the still hot slots with his paws
thankfully I am in the habit of unplugging everything after use because Radar is a bit of a wire-chewer)

I think I will just have to put up with being hot - I don't have the heart to not let Sonic sleep on me

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I have been thinking about this, but every time I consider getting a floor standing fan as an option, one of the cats does something that makes me think that they don't have an ounce of common sense between them. I have a mental image of Sonic hanging from the mesh casing swinging backwards and forwards with the fan in oscillating mode, or Radar trying to stick his feet or tongue through the mesh (I caught him the other day sitting on the toaster which was hot because I'd just used it, 'fishing' in the still hot slots with his paws
thankfully I am in the habit of unplugging everything after use because Radar is a bit of a wire-chewer)

I think I will just have to put up with being hot - I don't have the heart to not let Sonic sleep on me
I am glad that you are gonna let Sonic sleep on you

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I am glad that you are gonna let Sonic sleep on you
Oh that was never in question - I know who's in charge in my house, and it's not one of us humans

I suppose I should be thankful that as he's an Oriental he doesn't have an awful lot of fur!

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. Sneakers is a furnace - and wedge me between him and my hubby - who is a bigger furnace - and i feel like i'm having hot flashes -- i am only 25!!

we have a ceiling fan that we keep on the highest setting most nights - and that seems to work pretty well. we also have central a/c, so that kicks in too and i feel no heat.

good luck with Sonic.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh that was never in question - I know who's in charge in my house, and it's not one of us humans

I suppose I should be thankful that as he's an Oriental he doesn't have an awful lot of fur!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a window fan that the cats ignore - maybe that is an option. I think it is sweet that he is a snuggler.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we don't have many options available to us - sealed double glazed upvc windows so we can't put in a window fan, we are also home to a parrot and ceiling fans are a big hazard for birds (they can't see them well and could fly into them) so that's out, inward opening windows that aren't suitable for most screens (and also you can't have the curtains closed with the windows open
), and 2 little mischief making cats who can turn the simplest thing around the house into a safety hazard in the time it takes you to blink.

I want to move, this flat gets like a sauna!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sonic is just getting bigger and bigger. I like to sleep on my side, and he has taken to sleeping sprawled out along the uppermost side of my body from my hip to my shoulder, with his chin resting on my shoulder.

It's very cute, and I love that he wants to sleep that close to me, but it's just too hot to be covered by a 'feline blanket' at the moment!

Anyone else have this 'problem'?
Yes, indeed. Bijou has his head on my pillow with his forehead against mine and his body stretched fully out so that his feet are about at my waist. He is covered to the neck. Unfortunately (for Bijou), I get night sweats and it gets too hot even for him so he retires to the bottom of the bed to get away from the furnace called meowmy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have been thinking about this, but every time I consider getting a floor standing fan as an option, one of the cats does something that makes me think that they don't have an ounce of common sense between them.
Ours have never paid much attention to the fan we have in the bedroom, aside from laying in front of it.
With it heating up in recent years, I do not know how you can stand it without any moving air at all.
If you do not cool down at all, especially when you sleep, you can start feeling miserable. Here, it gets so hot that air conditioning is a must.

If you do get one make the the mesh is small enough that no paws can go through, and make sure it has a decent base in case someone does attempt to 'ride' it.

Even with a fan and the air conditioning on I still get overly hot kitty snuggles. Tomas isn't too bad, he's still small. Sho on the other hand seems to be nothing but big fat hot cat butt.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My landlord cranks the AC all day long no matter what temperature it is outside...usually I sleep in full pyjamas plus a sweater and robe on..Trout's body heat doesn't help ENOUGH

She usually sleeps between my legs anyway..she's not a body sleeper.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fan will help and once the initial curiosity fades they will probably not even bother with it. They mostly just lie in front of it. I would suggest getting one with a very sturdy base (we even tied an old dumbell plate to the bottom of ours for extra weight). Stan will sometimes bat at the plug if it's unplugged and he will sniff around the back, but we got one with a pretty tight mesh on the fan part and so far so good. Don't think I'm talking about sedate kitties here either, generally Stan doesn't hesitate to get into trouble if he can find it

Pity you can't have a window fan, mine don't touch the window fans at all.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The good news is that it was a lot cooler last night. The bad news is that Sonic sat on my side and groomed himself for AN HOUR! Wobbling contorting kitty complete with very loud comedy licking noises - and the occasional back foot suddenly poking me in the face.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby loves to sleep on my when I'm on my side. I frequently wake up to find her laying in the dip of my waist and over my hip. She also likes to lay along my side "belly to belly"
which is so cute. She's never been one to lay with her face to my face, instead she faces away and I get the back side of her, hehe, so when she is sleeping beside me, her hind legs are stretched out to my arm pit, her front paws toward my hip and she's snugged up as close as she can get with her belly and chest pressed against my tummy. It's soooooo cute

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The good news is that it was a lot cooler last night. The bad news is that Sonic sat on my side and groomed himself for AN HOUR! Wobbling contorting kitty complete with very loud comedy licking noises - and the occasional back foot suddenly poking me in the face.
Try having three do that all night! It's like an earthquake.