I thought we were over the midnight crazies!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that once a kitty reached a certain age they got over the midnight crazies. Boy was I wrong, and Dr. Claw started it all!

DH and I went to bed with all three fast asleep. As I'm drifting off to dream land I hear a soft, "Burrr?"

Then it started: a fur covered tornado of chasing, trampling, and all out play time. The three of them were dashing from one end of the apartment to the other in a massive blur I thought only capable of a group of kittens. Knowing that we wouldn't get to sleep any time soon DH and I got up to watch the the show. They were having an all out wonderful time.

It's so nice to see Dr Claw wanting to play and run around now. Even if it is past midnight.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean.

I was chatting to Gaye (GayeF) on skype last night and it was past 11.00.p.m. Gaye said "Can i hear a toy?", i said "No it's the bell on Rosie's collar because she's just ran past chasing Sophie up the stairs!"

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would much rather the kitties keep me up at night with their chasing each other and playing than one of them hacking up a hairball!

at 4:45 this morning, hubby and i woke to the lovely sound of Punkin right beside my side of the bed, right where my feet would go if i were climbing out of bed.

oh the sound is disgusting! i wanted to puke myself.

on top of that, a few moments later, Punk decides that he feels better and hops up into bed with hubby and I. then, he curles up between our pillows and begins to purr. sooooooooooooooooo loudly! Hubby had to put in earplugs.

All the while, Punk is also making tiny sounds that i would have sworn meant he was getting ready for another hairball. then, he started to sneeze.

his sneezes are often confused with the pre-hairball sound - go figure - and at 5 a.m., we confused it. I scooted Punk off the bed and he went running.

crisis diverted.

not 30 seconds later, Sneakers hopped up and stretched out the length of me (away from hubby) and started purr-purr-purring. i had to put in earplugs.

needless to say, we didn't get much sleep since about 4:45 this morning!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari is 2 and still has his bouts of the crazies. Evening and morning.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh so I can't look forward to Sonic 'growing out of it' then.

Last night (or possibly early this morning) in his mad flight around the bedroom he managed to knock over a guitar case and a violin case, ripped the wallpaper (again - when we redecorate we are going for paint only!), 'play-bit' Nate's arm twice and my ankle once, and pounced on my face from the end of the bed so many times I lost count.

Then there's the time he found the stash of bird toys that I keep on top of the wardrobe and ran around at 3am with a bell in his mouth, me chasing him around and swearing and Nate trying to pretend that he couldn't hear the commotion.

I don't understand how such a small dainty cat can make so much noise landing on things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Ahhh so I can't look forward to Sonic 'growing out of it' then.

Last night (or possibly early this morning) in his mad flight around the bedroom he managed to knock over a guitar case and a violin case, ripped the wallpaper (again - when we redecorate we are going for paint only!), 'play-bit' Nate's arm twice and my ankle once, and pounced on my face from the end of the bed so many times I lost count.

Then there's the time he found the stash of bird toys that I keep on top of the wardrobe and ran around at 3am with a bell in his mouth, me chasing him around and swearing and Nate trying to pretend that he couldn't hear the commotion.

I don't understand how such a small dainty cat can make so much noise landing on things.
I have no idea how three cats can sound like a small army of wild beasts.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I have no idea how three cats can sound like a small army of wild beasts.
Mine sound like a herd of wild elephants!!!

Mine are all between 7 and 11 years and they still can get the midnight crazies!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey. At least you don't have 6 doing that & a screaming kitten in the bathroom! I'm beat tired....& cannot look forward to much sleep in the near future!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would far prefer the midnight crazies to the midnight bouncies that Mojo gets.
If they would just chase each other I might stand a chance. But no, Mojo's newest game is to bounce off of me up to the cubby above the bed with a toy, and then drop said toy on either my or hubby's head so we'll play fetch with her. Last night, though, hubby got tired of throwing the ball, so she started playing fetch with herself - complete with bouncing off of me.
She would bring the ball up, toss it off the side of the bed, then fetch it and bring it back.

Needless to say, I didn't quite get to sleep when I had planned on it.

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pogue does this too! Except, he flings the toy at our heads, then proceeds to attack said toy (and whomever's head it landed on). This usually occurs between the hours of 4 and 5am.

When he's being "polite" and playing on his own, he simply takes his bell toy and repeatedly smacks it against any hard surface that will make a "Wump...Tinkle" noise. This includeds, the chair, the bed post, the wall, or the linoleum floor in the bathroom.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hahaa that's so funny!!! My girls never get the midnight crazies

Once the lights go out, they all settle down and sleep all night! Stumpy will run around going MROW until she "finds" us, but that's the extent of it. If I get up in the middle of the night to pee, Stumpy is generally in her bed and looks at me bleary eyed then covers her head from the light with her paw.

When we had Leo in the spare room and he was going nutso at midnight, I thought him and Stumpy were playing under the door, but no - Stumpy was all tucked up in bed giving me a "um-mahhhhh - Leo's being naughty" look.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Once the lights go out, they all settle down and sleep all night! Stumpy will run around going MROW until she "finds" us, but that's the extent of it. If I get up in the middle of the night to pee, Stumpy is generally in her bed and looks at me bleary eyed then covers her head from the light with her paw.

When we had Leo in the spare room and he was going nutso at midnight, I thought him and Stumpy were playing under the door, but no - Stumpy was all tucked up in bed giving me a "um-mahhhhh - Leo's being naughty" look.
Ok Sarah - what kind of drugs are you using?

I have to be careful and not leave anything on the end of the dresser because about 4 in the morning Carly or Lucy will use that path to get away from the other. We have woken up to books, etc flying off the dresser to be replaced by a cat.

Though I would rather have that than what happened at 3 this morning. I awoke to Much upchucking
on my feet (ewwwww) so I had to get up to rinse the blankets and change the sheets

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww that's too funny! (but probably not when you were trying to sleep). I'm glad to see Dr.Claw is REALLY comming out of his shell- what a doll
/ My kitties seem to be have pretty well at night- my latest foster doggie however now that's another story! Norris will cry and whine at the top of his lungs if he's not right beside me. If he can't see me- he gets really upset. So i've gotten to where i've moved his cage in the room with us at night just so i can sleep (covering his crate, turning out the lights, leaving the lights on, leaving a radio on- nothing worked) he just wants to be near his mommy. Haha so umm yeah we just need to convience Colin we need to keep him

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Ok Sarah - what kind of drugs are you using?
I know I'm just lucky!!! Stumpy and Smudge both went to crazy spells at night time when they were younger, but they just got shut out of the bedroom when it happened, so I guess they learnt that night time was for sleeping, or at least not annoying the people, cause then you miss out on snuggles!

They have daytime crazies for sure, and they usually have their last crazy session about 8-9pm, then that's it

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is just too crazy to be allowed in the bedroom at night - he's not a cuddler anyway and usually chooses to nap in a room away from wherever we are, so he's not missing out on getting to snuggle up with us because he wouldn't want to anyway. He has a thing for feet which I don't think he's ever going to grow (or be trained) out of and bites toes hard, he just isn't going to be allowed the option to savage our feet in the night unless by some miracle he stops doing that.

So I don't know if he has crazies in the middle of the night! He does have the daytime crazies often though, and races around the flat like mad, the worst thing is that he goes across the tops of the bookcases and uses the top of the door as a springboard to get across to the cases on the other side of the room. At 30mph. He also insists on skidding - not running, actual skidding - along the back of the sofa, he literally drags himself along it at top speed with his claws. If he slips there are horrible 'claws on fabric' noises as he abseils down the back by his front paws. I don't know how the sofa isn't in tatters, thankfully the cover is fairly tough canvas type fabric. He used to scoot around the edges underneath on his back which was hilarious but he's a bit big for that now.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This probably isn't any help. But Fafeena is 14 years old, has limited vision & hearing, & is slighty overweight.....and she's got a bout of the crazies going on right now outside the window!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We knew some people whose cats and german shepherd did the night time crazies. They also lived in an older two story house with a wooden staircase. Imagine the sound as 2 cats and a german shepherd race up and down it.

Then there was the time they heard the "herd" coming up the stairs, into one son's bedroom, followed by crashing noises from the that bedroom, then into their room where the cats went under the bed and the dog followed. There was barely room for the cats under the bed!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Ditto! Only if I get up to the bathroom, Abby is right behind me, and she usually goes too, hehe