I need some advice about litter for a kitten

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a friend at work who adopted an 8 week old kitten form Petsmart. I know 8 weeks is young but the mom died in birthing and as soon as they were ready to go they went. She told me she is using a clumping clay litter and the little one will not stop sneezing. I told her that her sneezing was probably dust related and to also stop using the clumping because it can be fatal to kittens. She would like to know what kind of litter is safe for a baby that is 8 weeks old. She has done some reaserch and is feeding it with a mixture of KMR and regular kitten food. Other than the litter issue the vet has said that the kitten is very healthy and is helping her with the foood and feeding schedual.

So what kind of litter should I tell her to get? When I see her tomarrow I will tell her and she said she would go and buy it after work.

kittylovinkrys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using World's Best cat litter for my kittens. It may still have some dust, but it doesn't have perfume in it. It's made out of corn cobs and it's okay if the cats taste a little of it. What I love about it is that it still clumps and it's safe! I figure once their out of the "I'm going to eat everything I can and play in the litter pan"-phase I'll switch them over to clay litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info. Can you buy Worlds Best at Petsmart or do you have to go to a pet store?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too recommend World's Best. I honestly don't know if you can get it anywhere other than a pet store - maybe phone around and ask before trudging out only to find out they don't have it.

I feel strongly that clay litter is very dangerous and wouldn't use it myself, especially for kittens.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use clay litter either. I use cedarific, it seems fine with kittens.