Are you registered to be a bone marrow donor?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Registering to be a bone marrow donor is very quick and easy - it just requires a cheek swab and I believe can be done anywhere that takes blood donations. They keep the results on a database, and they can cross reference those needing bone marrow or blood cell transplants against all their donors.

It's incredibly hard to find a close enough match to be successful, and if you DO get the call saying you're a match with someone, you literally are helping save someone's life.

I believe if you are needed for a donation it can be a little painful, but it's nothing compared to the pain the person needing the donation has probably been through!

Go to http://www.marrow.org/ for more information, and I strongly urge everyone to go and get on their registry!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this post.I would love to donate!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to register to donate however i am not allowed to because of my asthma, allergies, and some of the meds i take for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

hmm, never thought about it,
Well look into it!!
You don't actually donate anything unless they find a match for you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for reminding me -- I've never registered because I couldn't afford the fee, but as I understand it, the fee is waived when you become a platelet donor... which I'm about to do. So I can register now!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I registered years ago when someone where I worked needed a transplant. Since then they have banned people who lived in Europe for over six monthes between certain years from donating blood because of the possibility of carrying mad cow disease. I had been stationed in Germany so even if at some point I come up as a match I don't know if I would be able to donate.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To the OP, since you brought this up, will you be donating cord blood in October?

I looked at the medical guidelines, as suspected, I can't. I take daily medication for osteoarthritis and may have RA or something else that hasn't been diagnosed yet.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Thank you for reminding me -- I've never registered because I couldn't afford the fee, but as I understand it, the fee is waived when you become a platelet donor... which I'm about to do. So I can register now!
We didn't pay a fee when we did it - maybe check with with marrow registry people?

Originally Posted by calico2222

I didn't even know you could register for bone marrow donor. That is a good idea. You do it when you give blood? I really have to give blood soon, its been too long.
No, you don't have to give blood to do it, you just need to give a cheek swab - I just believe it's done at the same places that give blood. I'm sure the www.marrow.org website will have more info.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

To the OP, since you brought this up, will you be donating cord blood in October?
We want to!!! We've already checked though, and the hospital we're going to can't accept cord blood donations - not many hospitals can. The closest one is down in LA! We tried to find research places as well who would pick it up or something, but no luck there either. I definitely don't want to bank it (and the places that bank it won't handle "donations"), but if anyone knows anywhere else that can handle cord blood donations from hospitals that currently can't accept them, then let me know!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bump! Just to make sure those who didn't get on last night see this

In case you're wondering - I've seen 2 sad stories go around work recently encouraging people to register for bone marrow donations. One was a little girl who's been fighting cancer for a few years now - it keeps going into remission then coming back. This time it's really bad, and without finding a match for a bone marrow transplant, she'll most probably die. The second one is a young guy who was diagnosed with leukemia late last year (www.helpvinay.org) and also is going to need to find a bone marrow donor for after his next round of chemo.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I am registered to be a bone marrow donor, I did it one time when I was donating blood.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I am sure they wouldnt want mine

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am! The National Bone Marrow people come to campus every once in awhile, so I got it done yet.

Just so you know, I'm sure bone marrow donations are a bit different, but coming from one who's gotten a bone marrow biopsy done, its really not that bad. The most painful part was the anesthetic
and the fact that I was stubborn and worked a really long day the next day even though my hip hurt. I'd definitely go through it again if it would save someone's life!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked into it when the daughter of one of the surgeons that I work with was diagnosed with non-hodgkin's lymphoma. Unfortunately, at the time, I was taking aminophylline for my asthma, and wasn't able to become a donor. I've been off aminophylline for over 10 years now, so I should check to see if I would be a suitable donor. Back when I was interested, there were a number of fairly expensive tests to be run, and the donor paid a portion of that. It's interesting that it can be done at little or no cost now. I'll have to look into it.

Elena underwent chemo and full body radiation for her NHL. She then got a stem cell transplant and went into complete remission. She got married not long after her stem cell transplant. She thought she would end up sterile from the chemo and radiation, but became pregnant shortly after her wedding. She's now mom to a beautiful three year old little girl....and remains in complete remission. Happy ending!!!

EDIT: I just checked the requirements. I had a bone graft for a dental procedure a year and a half ago, so I may not be able to register.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have rheumatoid arthritis so I can't.

Bu I do have one of those symbols on my license that says I would be an organ donor. Who knows
when and if the time comes there may be something I have that will be a help to someone else.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have actually been talking to people at the hospital about it (I am a radiology student). I am very interested in it, and terrified at the same time. I am, however, a universal platelet donor but the one time I tried to donate, the nurse missed my vein and caused me to almost pass out. Took me a long time to be ready to give blood again because of it. I think this thread was what I needed to give me that push to look into it.

It is so weird! I seriously was just talking about this 2 days ago....