Treat balls for cats?

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I was looking at some toys for my kitty Ares, and found the Play n Treat ball, which when rolled around, dispenses treats or dry kibble. I thought it might be useful when Hubby and I are eating dinner, as a way to keep our kitty entertained while we eat. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with these balls? Could it be used as a distraction tool while we eat?
Thanks!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know about cats, but my dog loved hers! (couldn't clean it- had to toss it- got her a busy buddy treat dispenser instead
)

What an adorable pic!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Well, I don't know about cats, but my dog loved hers! (couldn't clean it- had to toss it- got her a busy buddy treat dispenser instead
)

What an adorable pic!
Thanks! Bird's coat is LOVELY

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that brand, but I do think that in general they are a good idea, if I could find any myself I would get some for the dry portion of my cats' diets.

I firmly believe that as predators, the hunt-eat pattern is hard-wired into a cat's nature, and that indoor cats may be more fulfilled if you can simulate this by giving them something to 'hunt' that then dispenses food for them. It is good exercise, and it satisfies that predatory part of their nature.

I think it's a great idea - whichever brand you look at, make sure that it's not going to break or splinter if pounced on or chewed, and that for hygeine purposes it can be cleaned easily. I am sure your cat would really enjoy it

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one and found that if the treats are small enough to fit through the hole to get them in, then they actually spill out too easily. Ferris can empty one of those treat balls in no time flat, without getting ANY exercise.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I got one and found that if the treats are small enough to fit through the hole to get them in, then they actually spill out too easily. Ferris can empty one of those treat balls in no time flat, without getting ANY exercise.
Oh dear well bang go my hopes for getting one that works well! In theory it's a great idea though

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many different kinds of treat balls; I suggest looking the treat balls up on PetSmart or PetCo and reading reviews on them to see if they are decent. I'm not sure there are "cat treat balls" but you could buy a small dog treat ball and just put cat food in there. But like I said, I would read reviews on them first. Good luck!
(By the way - Ares is irresisitable!!!)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
treat balls didn't work at our house. nabu had it down to an art, a slight bump to knock the kibble out. raven would just wait for nabu to get the kibble out, and eat it.

i think the idea of treat balls are great...but my cats managed to outsmart the "working for their food" part.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one to stimulate dynah a bit and it didn't work at all. The cats didn't figure out that stuff would come out, regardless of my showing it...so the ball just sat in one place for a week. I took it back.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Argh I'd written a big reply then Nikita came and jumped on the keyboard and the reply went away.

To make a long post short. I have 4 treat balls, filled with her normal dry kibble. That's the only way she gets kibble as well. It has really helped keep her a bit more occupied and a bit less bored. It doesn't work as a distraction though, instead I feed her her wet food just before I eat to give me a few minutes of peace.

She doesn't play with the ball though, she just nudges it with her nose to get the kibble to fall out. She gets plenty of exercise playing every day so that's not a problem.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess that I am cheap, but instead of buying a treat ball, I make my own. I use an empty papertowel or toiletpaper tube and I put the treats in, fold the ends and cut the proper size holes in the tube. It takes like 5 seconds and then we have an hours worth of enjoyment. I noticed that if I only cut 3 or 4 holes and when I cut the holes I just cut three sides of a square to form the hole and then push the tab in, it creates extra difficulity to get the treat out. Marcie loves this game and after about an hour, she will have torn the paper tube up and got most of the treats out. I recycle the rest of the tube and hide the remaining treats so that she has to look for them. She doesn't get bored with this game because it only happens once or twice a month

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tyhanks you so much for the great idea WELDRWOMN! I think Zoe's 9-week-old attention span is too short for that, but maybe the smell will keep her going. A good weekly game! Excellent, I'll have to try that- thanks again!

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I guess that I am cheap, but instead of buying a treat ball, I make my own. I use an empty papertowel or toiletpaper tube and I put the treats in, fold the ends and cut the proper size holes in the tube. It takes like 5 seconds and then we have an hours worth of enjoyment. I noticed that if I only cut 3 or 4 holes and when I cut the holes I just cut three sides of a square to form the hole and then push the tab in, it creates extra difficulity to get the treat out. Marcie loves this game and after about an hour, she will have torn the paper tube up and got most of the treats out. I recycle the rest of the tube and hide the remaining treats so that she has to look for them. She doesn't get bored with this game because it only happens once or twice a month
Hey, this is a GREAT idea
I was sorry to hear that the treat balls were so disappointing, but your ingenuity sounds perfect! I will try this, and see how it works for me
Thanks!

s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/rmorrow2/th_Ares32.jpg

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aah, that's too bad! I was really hoping that treat balls could be used as a good distraction tool
BTW your kitties are cuties
Thanks for the info!

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds as though the cat treat balls are not very effective
Nabu, Raven and Stimpy are cuties

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info - I am thinking the cat treat ball is a no go

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wait wait wait!

i have a treat ball for stoli and it's one of the ones from the dog aisle...'talking treat ball' and when stoli got big enough to actually move it, he loved it. i have pics to prove it....it actually worked better on a smooth surface. we also have tiny cat treat balls that we got at shaws. the kibble spills out a little too easy but they do have to actually get it moving to fall out.....