Dentists....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm having a tooth pulled next week and they don't sedate, only local anesthetic.

I have to ask, how many other chickens are there out there when it comes to the dentist? I am seriously thinking of finding another dentist that DOES sedate me......

Would you do it w/o sedation?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the severity/pain. (i was thinking about going to dental hygeine school for a while before i decided not to so dental related things don't usually bother me.) However if you would be more comfortable going to a dentist that specalizes in sedation dentistry then do that hon. I know there are several around here who will give you some pills to take before you go in for your visit and sedate you so that you're more comfortable- a lot of people seem to prefer that.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some dentist will not sedate any patients. My old co-worker used to be gassed for cleanings & that dentist wasn't close by.

I just went to the dentist today actually. You will be fine! You don't feel a thing but you might hear it. Your mind plays tricks on you & you think you feel it but you don't. I had a molar pulled when I was 16. Took 2 instruments and several minutes to get the darn thing out. They had to make room for my teeth to shift with the braces. If your tooth is loose it won't be like my situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

It depends on the severity/pain. (i was thinking about going to dental hygeine school for a while before i decided not to so dental related things don't usually bother me.) However if you would be more comfortable going to a dentist that specalizes in sedation dentistry then do that hon. I know there are several around here who will give you some pills to take before you go in for your visit and sedate you so that you're more comfortable- a lot of people seem to prefer that.
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Some dentist will not sedate any patients. My old co-worker used to be gassed for cleanings & that dentist wasn't close by.

I just went to the dentist today actually. You will be fine! You don't feel a thing but you might hear it. Your mind plays tricks on you & you think you feel it but you don't. I had a molar pulled when I was 16. Took 2 instruments and several minutes to get the darn thing out. They had to make room for my teeth to shift with the braces. If your tooth is loose it won't be like my situation.
Just a little background info:
When I was 4yrs old, I had a needle go through my lip and out of my nose at the dentist.... Traumatized me for LIFE!
Then about 5yrs ago, a dentist pulled my tooth w/o novacaine. I tried to tell him he didn't give me any but insisted he did and that I was just being a chicken.
Then about 2 yrs ago, I had all my top teeth pulled. The dentist pulled 10 teeth with only 2 shots of novacaine! Reggie could hear me screaming outside the building! When he came in to see what was going on (he was outsdie smoking) they refused to tell him. He pushed past the nurse and could see me. Blood streaming down my face and me screaming.

When it was all said and done 4 people walked out the the dentists office. They told me to come back in a week to take the stitches out. I pulled them out myself!

So yeah, I have a small fear of dentists.
The other times I've been, I was fully sedated and had zero problems!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you have a lot of dramatic experiences from what I have read recently.
My only suggestion is talking to the dentist or family doctor for a pill that will calm you down for the extraction. My friend is afraid of needles and they would give him a mild sedative to take 30 minutes before his appointments. Maybe that is what you need.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Wow you have a lot of dramatic experiences from what I have read recently.
My only suggestion is talking to the dentist or family doctor for a pill that will calm you down for the extraction. My friend is afraid of needles and they would give him a mild sedative to take 30 minutes before his appointments. Maybe that is what you need.
Yeah I've had the valium before too. Problem is that my adrenaline (sp?) gets going along with my anxiety that it literally does nothing for me

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of have two crowns done which I am having done only with a local. I have only had gas once when I was in my teens and I didn't like it at all. I guess I am lucky because I have never been afraid of the dentist so am quite calm when I go in. My sister however is the exact opposite and is terrified of the dentist. If she wasn't sedated she would never ever be able to sit throw the treatment.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow...alycia, if i were you after those experiences..i would ONLY go to a dentist who specializes in sedation dentistry- it will be a lot easier on your nerves
also- keep in mind you have adult teeth in your mouth, not temp teeth. so the roots are longer- and as a result it may be more painfull to have them pulled without anything. I would go for the sedation. When i need dental work done i ALWAYS make them give me gas before they do anything else (bad experience with a shot in my mouth once!) THEN if they want to give me a shot/mess with me they can.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia, if Seth can have a tooth pulled with NO pain shot---then you can do it.Have faith in yourself and you may be surprised.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Alycia, if Seth can have a tooth pulled with NO pain shot---then you can do it.Have faith in yourself and you may be surprised.
Deacon did the same thing
Didn't even flinch!

Me? Im too chicken

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With your past experiences you need to make sure you have a dentist you have confidence in. Try having a chat with the dentist you may be going to and make sure they know your past experience and why you may need to be sedated.
If this one can't or won't do so maybe they can suggest another, who is a good dentist, that will.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanna be put under too when I go in..(hopefully next week) for my teeth to be taken care of. But i doubt that will happen...novicane it is...hich wont make me happy i have two front teeth and a molar thats broken to the gumline. ugh.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had my 2 top wisdom teeth pulled one week apart from each other. I had just local freezing and had no discomfort at all. The dentist gave me adequate freezing and all I felt was pressure for about 1/10 of a second and it was all over. No pain at all.

So far as I know most dentists don't do sedation in their offices anymore because of the increase risk. You are talking a local anesthetic and that's done in the hospital to my knowledge, and costs several hundred, if not a few thousand dollars.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

So far as I know most dentists don't do sedation in their offices anymore because of the increase risk. You are talking a local anesthetic and that's done in the hospital to my knowledge, and costs several hundred, if not a few thousand dollars.
Actually that would be an oral surgeon, and they have to have a licensed anesthesiologist there if I'm not mistaken. DH had anesthesia when his wisdom teeth were cut out (but he's not here at the moment for me to ask about the anesthesiologist). This was done at the surgeon's clinic, not a hospital. Cost was around $1700, I do believe.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

So I'm having a tooth pulled next week and they don't sedate, only local anesthetic.

I have to ask, how many other chickens are there out there when it comes to the dentist? I am seriously thinking of finding another dentist that DOES sedate me......

I am such a big chicken,I get physically ill before I go!
I also had bad experiences when I was young. I c an't even go in the room with my daughter when she has cleanings,I get so panicky!! Can I ask if they put you on antibiotics for the abcess?? If they didn't,I would go to a different dentist. It seems like a tooth is so much harder to numb when they have abcessed,and it's not really good to get one pulled while it's abcessed. Of course...they have all these new fangled numbing gels to ease the injections...but if you are like me....the pressure gets me worse than the pain!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes - I wouldn't like dentists either if I were you. If he does the local properly then you should feel no pain. However, based on your history the your mind may play tricks on you.

What ever the case may be, I wish you good luck and no pain!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

I am such a big chicken,I get physically ill before I go!
I also had bad experiences when I was young. I c an't even go in the room with my daughter when she has cleanings,I get so panicky!! Can I ask if they put you on antibiotics for the abcess?? If they didn't,I would go to a different dentist. It seems like a tooth is so much harder to numb when they have abcessed,and it's not really good to get one pulled while it's abcessed. Of course...they have all these new fangled numbing gels to ease the injections...but if you are like me....the pressure gets me worse than the pain!!
Oh it's the pressure, the pain, the sound, the needles.....walkin tin the door freaks me out

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I have had my 2 top wisdom teeth pulled one week apart from each other. I had just local freezing and had no discomfort at all. The dentist gave me adequate freezing and all I felt was pressure for about 1/10 of a second and it was all over. No pain at all.

Actually local anesthetic means a shot of novacaine in the area they want to numb.
Being sedated means.... GAS ME!!!!!!!!!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about this, can you share your stories with your current dentist, and see if they will put you under?

I finally found a dentist that was kind enough to listen to my fears, and she held my hand through the whole process. Her kindness was enough to calm the terror I felt.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I just went through it about 3-4 weeks ago, had a molar pulled.

HEAVY duty novacaine shot, took my own anti-anxiety meds before going in, and the procedure itself was not as bad as I expected.

You DO want to get a script for pain meds for after, though.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

How about this, can you share your stories with your current dentist, and see if they will put you under?

I finally found a dentist that was kind enough to listen to my fears, and she held my hand through the whole process. Her kindness was enough to calm the terror I felt.
He is well aware of my fears. I told him yesterday, problem is, they don't sedate in his office. They don't have the capability

Originally Posted by GingersMom

I just went through it about 3-4 weeks ago, had a molar pulled.

HEAVY duty novacaine shot, took my own anti-anxiety meds before going in, and the procedure itself was not as bad as I expected.

You DO want to get a script for pain meds for after, though.
I've already got a script for Darvocet but Im afraid its not doing anything. I have a HIGH tolerance for medications