About to start bashing my laptop manufacturer!!

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, my laptop is about 2 years old. Is that how long they are supposed to last before they just crap out? I am unable to connect to the internet anymore on there. Just happened. Out of the blue. So, the only way I can contact anyone is via email. So I try. I get a reply within a couple of days. I try the suggestion. Doesn't work. Get another suggestion. Doesn't work. Get an 800 number to call. They say that because my computer is over 1 year old, it is out of warranty. Get an 877 number to call. They say that they will charge a non-refundable $2.79/minute!!

WHAT??? Sent another email to the person that I have been communicating with. Let's see what happens???

Do they really want that negative publicity?

Any computer people that know anything about wireless connections that can help? I will take any advice that I can... about to throw the computer in the street.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The motherboard on my Dell Inspiron 8200 that I paid almost $4,000.00 for died 3 years and 5 months after purchase. The kicker is that I only used it 12 times in the first 20 months of ownership, and on a regular basis for the last 17 months of it's life. Dell refused to do anything about it and I was quoted something like $1,200.00 for repairs.

Laptops don't last as long as desktops. They also don't give you the same value for your money. You can get a much better and much more powerful computer in a desktop for way less than you will pay for a laptop that is considerably substandard to the desktop.

If it's the motherboard on your laptop, don't bother fixing it. It's not worth it. Get yourself a desktop, it will be cheaper for you in the long run.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish i could help you hon but i don't know much about pc's. I had the same problem with my laptop not too long ago though (it's a dell inspiron 1000- a few years old). Fortunately- Colin has another computer in his office though (mine's from when i went to college) so i was able to get on his and talk with Dell's support people online on their website. They figured out that it was one of my AC adaptor- something was wrong with it- not my pc, and that's why my pc wouldn't let me turn on (even though it doesn't have to have an ac adaptor all the time- it had drained the battery) So i ordered a new one and that fixed it.

(by the way- the reason my AC adaptor didn't work is because Jasmine had chewed straight through part of it!!!!
Little buggar! So now that i've learned wires make delightfull kitty toys -we keep them all out of their way.

Could you perhaps borrow a friends pc or go to the libary (i know the public libary in Germantown and the one in Collierville all have internet connections) and try to get in touch with the tech support people online and chat with them that way? That way you're not running up your phone bill. Good luck hon! (by the way, if you wind up getting another laptop- don't get a Dell- mine still has problems off and on- there's also no places near us that have a dell store/etc so it makes it really hard to get replacement parts/have people look at it and the only thing you can do is go online to order things/talk to them or on the phone.)

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't get me started on laptops. I hate them. I'll celebrate the day mine dies and I can go get a nice, normal (cheap) desktop.

Mine is about 3 years old now, and has had "health issues" from pretty much the day I got it. My current complaint is how the screen flickers in and out and sometimes I have to firmly close the lid to get the picture back.

Sorry I don't have any advice for your computer situation, but just wanted to share the laptop hate with you. Do me a favour though, and when it stops working altogether smash it into to little bits for me. Maybe drop it out a window or something. It's what I'll be doing with mine!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is your os i will assume xp?
are you at home , or in a coffee shop.
is it high speed? if so what brand of router do you have,
did you try to run a network cable vs using the wireless.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a Dell laptop three years ago as a replacement for my desktop. when it worked, it was awesome. I paid extra for the 3 year, inhouse service - well worth it with a laptop. Henry, my Dell repairman, is on my christmas card list. The bad thing is wating for the parts to arrive (it usually went out on Fridays).
I've had:
numerous motherboards
3 sets of RAM
2 power supplies
1 video screen
keyboard (thanks to the puppy)
I am very adapt at dealing with the offshore customer service department - in fact, I am a list that gets me sent to a supervisor immediately.
I didn't think I was that difficult.
At Christmas, it died again. Very frustrating as I was working on a project for work. I finally had it and asked for a replacement. This time it appears the hard drive died too. I was in the habit of backing up often, so it wasn't a huge deal.

And I love the new one they sent - larger hard drive, bigger screen, more RAM.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Who IS the manufacterer, if you don't mind my asking? I think laptops are a lot shorter lived than desktops, too - I have desktops that ran for ten years, most laptops I know only last 2-3. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that my mom bought, and it has one HUGE flaw - the fan is on the underside. Which means every time you set it on the desk, you're blocking that fan, and causing it to overheat. I also have a Compaq here that my ex asked me to look at... guess what? Fan's on the bottom. These laptop manufacterers either need to find a better place for the fan, or stop charging so much for what is essentially a disposable computer.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just because you can't get online, doesn't mean that it is the computer....it simply could be some configuration issues. Have you tried calling your ISP (Internet provider??). Could be the modem (if you have cable).....could even be your provider and not even linked to you!!!! Could be outdoor lines.....could be ANYTHING, but I really doubt it is the computer, as a whole, for something like that. If you are running cable, it may be just your ethernet card (VERY easy to replace)....or if it is dial-up, your modem (also easy to replace).

I really doubt this is a huge deal. Are there anymore issues other than that or is it just getting online that is causing issues?

I've done tech support for a while so maybe I can try and help you. There are also ways for someone to remote into your computer to poke around and see what is going on...that is an option, too, if you know anyone that does PC work (or even me, if you want).

But I would maybe even try calling your provider first and telling then what is going on.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Dell, and I'd like to throw it out the window too sometimes.
Maybe we can have a throw the puter out the window holiday.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NO NO NO!!! LOL!! Most of the time issues are software related (conflicts, corrupted files, etc) and NOT the computer!!! You would know if it were hardware related and even then, the whole computer doesn't necessarily need to be trashed! So easy to swap out a video card, ethernet card, harddrive, power supply...and CHEAPLY!

Now a motherboard may be an instance where it may not be worth it, but I don't know that I've ever really seen a motherboard issue..maybe once or twice.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

Now a motherboard may be an instance where it may not be worth it, but I don't know that I've ever really seen a motherboard issue..maybe once or twice.
My motherboard died on me once. I must be one of the lucky few, hey? I was lucky though, as it was still under warranty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

what is your os i will assume xp?
are you at home , or in a coffee shop.
is it high speed? if so what brand of router do you have,
did you try to run a network cable vs using the wireless.
Windows XP
high speed, I think?? Runs through the cable
Router - Linksys
have not tried the cable yet...

Originally Posted by alice_curiouser

Who IS the manufacterer, if you don't mind my asking? I think laptops are a lot shorter lived than desktops, too - I have desktops that ran for ten years, most laptops I know only last 2-3. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that my mom bought, and it has one HUGE flaw - the fan is on the underside. Which means every time you set it on the desk, you're blocking that fan, and causing it to overheat. I also have a Compaq here that my ex asked me to look at... guess what? Fan's on the bottom. These laptop manufacterers either need to find a better place for the fan, or stop charging so much for what is essentially a disposable computer.
It is an ACER. Supposedly really popular overseas. Thank goodness I do have a desktop, but the laptop is easy to take into the room with the TV...

Just because you can't get online, doesn't mean that it is the computer....it simply could be some configuration issues. Have you tried calling your ISP (Internet provider??). Could be the modem (if you have cable).....could even be your provider and not even linked to you!!!! Could be outdoor lines.....could be ANYTHING, but I really doubt it is the computer, as a whole, for something like that. If you are running cable, it may be just your ethernet card (VERY easy to replace)....or if it is dial-up, your modem (also easy to replace).

I really doubt this is a huge deal. Are there anymore issues other than that or is it just getting online that is causing issues?

I've done tech support for a while so maybe I can try and help you. There are also ways for someone to remote into your computer to poke around and see what is going on...that is an option, too, if you know anyone that does PC work (or even me, if you want).

But I would maybe even try calling your provider first and telling then what is going on.
I am pretty sure it is something in the configuration. I called earthlink first. They said it had to do with the router. They weren't much help.

I called Linksys. Was on the phone with them for over an hour. They were very helpful, but could not get any of the settings to work. I think I need to call earthlink back and try and get my IP address and whatever the other one is. I have been looking on the internet trying "ping" things, and I think something in the settings is wrong. I might just have to start PM'ing you! Don't be surprised. I will call earthlink again, just have to wait for the day I have LOTS of patience!!

Thanks everyone for your support, and fellow ranting. I truly am not ready to smash it into pieces.... but VERY close!!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, there is a difference between your router and your modem (cable modem...not the internal modem for dial-up). You would use a router if needed to use your internet connection for other things, as well. For instance.....I have VoIP (Broadband phone) so on top of the modem, naturally for the regular connection, I connect a router so I "network" to other things and connect my phone. A router allows you to share your connection with other things.

Is that what you have?

If so, it may be your router (but now I can't remember what you said the issue was specifically!!!
). If you have one, try and reset it. Unplug EVERYTHING and let it sit for a few minutes and hit the reset buttons and then plug everything back in.

Might be your modem (if it is internet issues).....

Hell....it could be various things!!!! Isn't that what you wanted to hear??? LOL!!!!!!!

PM all you want. And like I said, I can always remote into your PC from mine and actually SEE your computer to see what it is doing. Be sure to write down ALL error msgs.

I would think, too, that Earthlink's website should give information on settings, etc.....

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
carrie, said just about the same stuff i would,
just to test it, i would try network cable just to make sure, the laptop can still get on the network,

the router i have, if you lose power for long forgets stuff, and i have to go baack into the wirless settings and put the mac address back for my laptop.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, all this laptop-bashing!
My advice? Next time get a Mac! My MacBook is fast and easy and Husband's PowerMac G4 is still going strong after five years (been handed down to our Daughter) and he just got a MacBook Pro. We've never had any problems with our Macs... knock on wood.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ohh..you know what else I did for you?? I did do a search for "Limited connectivity wireless" on like Yahoo and it brought up MANY sites that were like forums of people having the same problems...and various suggestions. Some of it is out of my ballpark since I haven't been exposed to wireless ANYTHING yet.

Talked a lot about IP ranges...but..I would try the search, too, and see what you can find.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ohh..you know what else I did for you?? I did do a search for "Limited connectivity wireless" on like Yahoo and it brought up MANY sites that were like forums of people having the same problems...and various suggestions. Some of it is out of my ballpark since I haven't been exposed to wireless ANYTHING yet.

Talked a lot about IP ranges...but..I would try the search, too, and see what you can find.
Yeah, I did some of those the other day when I was determined that I could fix it even though the support people couldn't. Did all sorts of things that are WAY over my head!! haha! I went into the command prompt and everything. I am really surprised I didn't delete my hard drive!! Well, who knows? Maybe I did!!

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Wow, all this laptop-bashing!
My advice? Next time get a Mac! My MacBook is fast and easy and Husband's PowerMac G4 is still going strong after five years (been handed down to our Daughter) and he just got a MacBook Pro. We've never had any problems with our Macs... knock on wood.
Noted. I have heard good things about Macs. The ones I have seen just seem to be so foreign. I am so used to windows!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

Windows XP
high speed, I think?? Runs through the cable
Router - Linksys
have not tried the cable yet...
No wonder you're having issues...you have the same type pc/everything as me
i will NEVER buy another Dell again
mine has quite a bit of issues and it's only a few years old and i've taken good care of it. (mine is an inspirion 1000 - and like you said has windows xp, linksys /etc.) Colin has had to fix mine several times (he worked on pc's in the navy so fortunately i lucked out having him be able to fix some things on mine that the tech support weren't able to help with- i did not feel comfortable mailing out my lap top to be fixed
)