TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Locksmith
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Locksmith

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Some of you may know I am a receptionist/dispatcher for a locksmith company. Last night there was a thing on the news about locksmith companies. The companies mentioned on the news are NOT the company I work for. I just want to know your experiences with locksmiths, any stories you have to tell, and what you think about them! Thanks


http://www.kpho.com/video/13442037/detail.html
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyphx View Post
Some of you may know I am a receptionist/dispatcher for a locksmith company. Last night there was a thing on the news about locksmith companies. The companies mentioned on the news are NOT the company I work for. I just want to know your experiences with locksmiths, any stories you have to tell, and what you think about them! Thanks


http://www.kpho.com/video/13442037/detail.html
The only time I've ever needed a lock smith is when I was locked out of my safe at my previous job and this nice old man let me have access to the 20k in cash I really needed.
post #3 of 16
I don't work for a locksmith but I sell locks.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
The only time I've ever needed a lock smith is when I was locked out of my safe at my previous job and this nice old man let me have access to the 20k in cash I really needed.
Do you remember how much they charged you? (If you don't mind)
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I don't work for a locksmith but I sell locks.
Have you ever needed to call a locksmith for anything?
post #6 of 16
I'm sure there is a $100.00 minimum here for a Locksmith to come to you.
post #7 of 16
I locked myself out of the truck once. They charged $35-$40? to pop it open
post #8 of 16
I had a locksmith out at my old house to change all the exterior locks to use the same key. I'm about to do the same at our new house. I had a referral from a realtor for the last house and I think I'll ask my neighbor (a county cop) for a referral here.

I couldn't get the video to work - what was the scam?
post #9 of 16
my only experience with a locksmith was the one i dated a long time ago. haha you don't want my opinion on that / that being said though- all of the ones around here seem to be pretty good whenever my friends/family have needed them and their prices were quite reasonable. (sorry, i don't have a direct price quote)
post #10 of 16
I have insurence coverage for lock out s so I dont pay but around here a car opening is 55
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyphx View Post
Do you remember how much they charged you? (If you don't mind)
I think it was $45.00. But I also offered to bake him cookies (I REALLY needed that 20k) so I think he dropped his price!
post #12 of 16
My only experience with a locksmith was after I got my new car I began to accidentally lock my keys in the car (the previous car had a dail-a-code on the driver's side door. I use to lock my keys in there all the time with no worries).

anyways, I called roadside assistance through the insurance I have. I purposely pay the little bit extra per month so that I don't worry about losing money in a desparate time of need. My insurance company can handle that
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin View Post
I locked myself out of the truck once. They charged $35-$40? to pop it open

Our local police will come and use that slim jim thing to open up your vechicle for you.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSULOVER View Post
Our local police will come and use that slim jim thing to open up your vechicle for you.
Ours use to do that, but when the automatic locks with remote key entry started popping up, the police stopped. Apparently their tricks would wind up damaging the remote key entry and too many people complained. Several people here lease cars rather than own them, so the leasers would have to pay out the damage that was done by the cops.

Many cities in the area decided not the police will not be held responsible for that and will say no and call a locksmith for you.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Ours use to do that, but when the automatic locks with remote key entry started popping up, the police stopped. Apparently their tricks would wind up damaging the remote key entry and too many people complained. Several people here lease cars rather than own them, so the leasers would have to pay out the damage that was done by the cops.

Many cities in the area decided not the police will not be held responsible for that and will say no and call a locksmith for you.
Ours wont do it either- you have to call a locksmith. Around here its about $40-$55 to get it open.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Wow, it seems that you guys have actually gotten pretty good deals when being locked out of your vehicles! If you pay anything under $60 you got a GOOD deal! I've never actually had to pay for a locksmith I just call my boss!

The video link that I posted was something that was on the news here in Arizona. It's about locksmith scams. It's when you call a locksmith and they tell you on the phone its $55 and you get there and they charge you $150. Our company says $45 service call plus the labor.

Just a note to anyone that will ever need a locksmith: If they tell you anything over $65 tell them you only have like $50 and STICK TO IT! The locksmiths get paid a percentage of the sale, they are going to make the price as high as they can! If you need some basic pricing before you call a locksmith (so you know your not going to get ripped off) just PM me and I can help you out a little bit! Also, the locksmith company I work for works in Phoenix, Arizona; Atlanta, Georgia; Boston, MA; Cleveland, Ohio is opening soon!


See if this link will work (if not then I'm out of ideas):

http://www.kpho.com/video/13442037/detail.html

or

http://search.kpho.com/query.html?la...m&qt=locksmith

If using the second link I provided: Click on the link provided, once at the site then click on the first thing on the list that says "CBS 5 Investigates Locksmith Scams"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Locksmith