Jasine has a lower urinary tract infection.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor little sugar momma
Last night Colin and I were in the guest bedroom playing with the kitties (that's where all their litter pans are...it's essentially their bedroom lol) when Jasmine hopped up on the bed and peed everywhere. Colin was not happy needless to say- but before he could get upset i told him that Jasmine has NEVER done anything like that before and that i'd take her to the vet before we just assume it's a behavioral thing to rule out a medical issue. I knew something was not right- Jasmine's never done that before or gone outside of her litter pan. I'm also good about keeping their litter pans very clean, they're in a low traffic part of the house, have a litter that they all like, etc (so i was trying to go one by one and think of anything that might have triggered a behavioral thing and couldn't think of any.) Sometimes when kitties get urinary infections/etc....it causes pain when they go potty -so they associate the litter pan with pain and will prefer to go somewhere else to avoid it- i think that's the case this time. I just got home from the vets office a minute ago. They took a urine sample and said that she has a lower urinary tract infection. So she's on antibiotics now for the next week or so and that should help clear it right up

While I was there we also checked her weight- she's lost a pound and a half since last year!!!!!!!
She is down to 13lbs now
The vet said her ideal weight is about 11lbs so that's wonderful!!! She's only two lbs away from her ideal weight!!! She is slowly but surely getting down to a healthy, safe weight and i couldn't be happier!! He also checked the urine for signs of glucose (sugar) and there wasn't any present!!!!
So no signs of diabetes eithor!!! That's great news! I'm very relieved about that as well! He said that the lower urinary tract infection was likely caused by external bacteria making it's way into her urithia/vaginal area. I told him too- since she's been overweight since before we adopted her- she's had a hard time reaching around to clean her rear- she tries, she's just a little too chunky to reach it. So several times a day i wipe her down with a baby wipe to keep her backside clean. He said that doing that was great and will help prevent any more infection since she's still a little overweight. So hopefully as she continues to loose weight safely and slowly- she will be able to clean herself a little better too so that's great
and that can definitely help prevent infection/etc

I feel bad for my little sugar momma-she's had a rough day today getting stuck with a needle in her abdomen/bladder- but she did wonderful and was such a great kitty cat!
I'm supposed to keep her seperate from the other kitties for the first 2-3 days while the medicine kicks in so i can watch her litter pan/food/water in take and monitor her -she's HATING beind stuck in the guest bathroom but i figure- it's only for a few days and it will be in her best interest so that's ok. I'm going to go to the pet store later and pick up a special treat for her
She was a trooper today
Please send some vibes that little Jasmine's infection clears up soon and she gets better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Poor little sweetheart.
I'm sending get well soon vibes her way.
Thankyou hon! I appreciate that- so does Jasmine. (she's in the bathroom sulking that i won't let her out right now
poor little thing! i think a few treats are in order when i go to the pet store this afternoon
)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

give her a hug for me ///
aww thankyou jennifer i sure will!
i hate seeing her all cooped up in the bathroom like that. last time i went in there she was laying in the sink trying to eat the betta
hopefully with the medicine though she'll feel better in no time!! i'm soooooooo glad i got her into the vet as soon as i saw this happen. i knew something wasn't right with my little girl.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my poor girl, she's in the bathroom sound asleep. little thing has had a rough day today! i bought her a new 2pack of kitty toys at the petstore earlier and some treats that are supposed to be specially formulated to help maintain urinary tract health!
She LOVES them and i love the ingredients
(the vet said it was safe too so that's good!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jasmine!
for you darling! Meowmy isn't trying to be mean stuffing drugs down your throat!

Nikki...did she have crystals in her urine?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh Jasmine!
for you darling! Meowmy isn't trying to be mean stuffing drugs down your throat!

Nikki...did she have crystals in her urine?
no- no signs of crystals today so that's great news
just a lower urinary tract infection. poor love- she hasn't eaten much of anything tonight (NOT normal for jamsmine - but those meds are zapping her appetite a bit i guess). She did however eat some of those special treats i got her so i know she's not starving
I let the other kitties in the bathroom for a few minutes to visit with her tonight- that seems to have cheered her up a bit
hopefully she'll be better soon!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is her normal food with DL Methothine( spelling may not be perfect??)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Is her normal food with DL Methothine( spelling may not be perfect??)
i'm not sure let me check. i was home cooking for a while but NONE of mine would touch it
i tried recipe after recipe and rented a book on it from the libary- they didn't like it. So i was trying out the Meow Mix Market Selects (one in the am one in the pm). They all love it and the ingredients aren't so bad. I would prefer they eat home cooked but since they were starving themselves and wouldn't touch it- this was the compromise for now. Is that ok as far as the Meow Mix Market Selects go? I tried some of the other more pricy things but this seems to be the only thing they all like.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just checked the ingredients on the different cups- looks like none of them have that specific ingredient in them (i hope i read that right!)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
that's exactly how Pixel informed me she had a UTI - she peed on the bed. while i was in it, no less! prayers for your sweetie to recover quickly!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You're such a good meowmy. Hugs to you and get better soon vibes to your sweet furbaby.
aww thankyou hon
i'm sort of feeling like a bad meowmy because she gives me the most pathetic looks everytime i go into the bathroom to check on her. i have her seperate from the rest so i can monitor her food/water/ litter pan for a little while and she's protesting. tomorrow since she seems to be better i'm going to "free her"

Originally Posted by laureen227

that's exactly how Pixel informed me she had a UTI - she peed on the bed. while i was in it, no less! prayers for your sweetie to recover quickly!
Awww bless her
at least Jasmine was polite and didn't potty on me
I knew something was wrong though when she went potty on the bed- she's never done that before. i'm glad your pixel is better
thankyou for the vibes!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

just checked the ingredients on the different cups- looks like none of them have that specific ingredient in them (i hope i read that right!)
DL-Methionine helps acidify the urine (produce a lower pH)...which is helpful in preventing struvite crystals, but also bacterial infections as bacteria thrives in a high pH environment. It's found in a lot of cat foods these days, but not all of them.

What was Jasmine's urine pH?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your little sugar momma will recover quickly!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

DL-Methionine helps acidify the urine (produce a lower pH)...which is helpful in preventing struvite crystals, but also bacterial infections as bacteria thrives in a high pH environment. It's found in a lot of cat foods these days, but not all of them.

What was Jasmine's urine pH?
Thanks for the info!
/ And about her ph- i honestly don't remember- i had a lot of other things on my mind at the time.

Originally Posted by Moz

I hope your little sugar momma will recover quickly!
thanks hon!
i let the little buggar out of the bathroom earlier since she hadn't had any accidents in there and had used her litter pan -well sure enough she peed on the bed again
THANKFULLY i had bought a cheap plastic bed protector thing and put it on the bed before i let her out so she peed on that and not the covers. poor girl though i hope she feels better soon. if the amoxi doesn't work i will switch her antibiotics next week.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meow Mix probably wouldn't be my first choice with a history of UTIs. I guess, in my UTI kitties, I tend to avoid fishy foods. Someone else can chime in here & correct me!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Meow Mix probably wouldn't be my first choice with a history of UTIs. I guess, in my UTI kitties, I tend to avoid fishy foods. Someone else can chime in here & correct me!
it's the market selects. i was home cooking everything for them- but they wouldn't eat it. i will not do dry as it is not the best for them and jasmine has a weight problem so the carbs from dry don't help. what soft do you like for kitties with uti?
she is not doing much better today -still having accidents- i'm hoping the meds kick in soon.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
don't know if this'll be true for you, but i found the old-style Sheba [in the square cans?] at my local BigLots for $0.35 each yesterday!