What to do with Alley?

alleysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alley is a 10-year-old cat, our "only child," indoor cat - hasn't left the house in 3 years, easily spooked, scared of everything and everybody. We, his "parents" do go on business trips and when we've been gone, so far, his Grammy has always come over twice a day to tend to his needs.
We, his parents, have been offered an opportunity to do a special job in the South 1600 miles away for 2 months on the first trip and ? many more after. We will be probably be driving back and forth with a van load of equipment.

Question: Should Alley stay at home with Grammy's visits?
Should Alley move to Grammy's house - that he hasn't been to in 8 years?
Or, do we take Alley with us where he will have to endure the trip and a new temporary home at a construction site with lots of construction noise and demolition occuring?

At home he would have all his stuff.
At Grammy's, she wouldn't have to make 2 trips a day, but its not his home and his parents wouldn't be there.
With his parents, he would have his parents, a long rotten trip, a new home at a noisy construction site.

Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks
alleysmom

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Welcome to TCS!
I feel that you have come to the right place to seek advice
I'm sure you will get a lot of replies regarding your situation.

Personally, I don't feel that it would be fair to leave Alley at your house ALONE for long periods of time. It's not fair to drag the cat around either, if Alley's not used to this lifestyle! I think in this situation you should have grammy take care of Alley until you know for sure what you'll be doing! Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the best choice for Alley! Good luck, and keep us updated!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a tuff one. I would think since you are going to be gone for 2 months straight, it would be best for him to stay with Grammy. That will be easier on both of them, he will have a human, (2 months is a long time without one) and she won't have to make two trips a day. Taking him along would be extremely stressful on him, and he is no spring chicken.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with mybabyPHX and gailuvscats: Grammy's is an unfamiliar area, but she move all of his stuff over to her place so he has his toys and stuff. He would have human company, and she would be able to keep a steady eye on him. If you took him with you, it would be alot of stress, and if you left him alone it would get very lonely for the poor fellow, and who knows what could happen if he's left alone for so long? I would have Grammy adopt him for a couple months.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alleysmom

Alley is a 10-year-old cat, our "only child," indoor cat - hasn't left the house in 3 years, easily spooked, scared of everything and everybody. We, his "parents" do go on business trips and when we've been gone, so far, his Grammy has always come over twice a day to tend to his needs.
We, his parents, have been offered an opportunity to do a special job in the South 1600 miles away for 2 months on the first trip and ? many more after. We will be probably be driving back and forth with a van load of equipment.

Question: Should Alley stay at home with Grammy's visits?
Should Alley move to Grammy's house - that he hasn't been to in 8 years?
Or, do we take Alley with us where he will have to endure the trip and a new temporary home at a construction site with lots of construction noise and demolition occuring?

At home he would have all his stuff.
At Grammy's, she wouldn't have to make 2 trips a day, but its not his home and his parents wouldn't be there.
With his parents, he would have his parents, a long rotten trip, a new home at a noisy construction site.

Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks
alleysmom
Obviously I had to respond to this! Well, as alleyspaw, my vote would let him to live with Grammy so she does not have to make two trips a day. This would be a starting point until such time that you found out how much you missed each other in which case you could send for him. Also, you may find your new place is not that bad. My Alley's "aunt" always comes in whenever we go on trips and that is fine because she at times sleeps at our house or spends the day so both my cats have lots of comanionship. Best of luck and welcome to TCS!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Hi, Welcome to TCS!
I feel that you have come to the right place to seek advice
I'm sure you will get a lot of replies regarding your situation.

Personally, I don't feel that it would be fair to leave Alley at your house ALONE for long periods of time. It's not fair to drag the cat around either, if Alley's not used to this lifestyle! I think in this situation you should have grammy take care of Alley until you know for sure what you'll be doing! Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the best choice for Alley! Good luck, and keep us updated!
I agree with this 100%! And welcome to TCS!