TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Dudes: I just bought a Dyson DC14 Animal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dudes: I just bought a Dyson DC14 Animal.

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 


I've seen SO much talk about the Dysons, and the reviews for them on TCS are so fantastic, that I just bought one.

I started researching and comparing prices, and just found a reconditioned one on eBay that comes with an extended warranty, FREE shipping, and I paid a grand total of $406.98 for the DC14 model.

I'm all excited now!!!

I have had a Sears Kenmore canister vac for at least the last 12 years, and had an older model of the same type for 10-15 years prior to that, so I WAS going to go buy the same one just the latest model, but after all the rave reviews for the Dyson (and the fact that up until the last two years I never had to worry about cat hair on my rugs) I decided to just go for it.

After looking at all that were available and the prices they were offered at, I decided to go for the reconditioned one. I've ordered reconditioned products off eBay in the past and been very happy with them, and this seller has over 27,000 transactions with a 99.6% rating, so I said what the heck. It's an investment, as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone else here have the DC14 model? How do you like it? I did some side-by-side comparisons between the DC14, the 07, the 15 and the 17, and they all seem pretty much the same. The 14 doesn't look to be too cumbersome.

Any feedback to share?
post #2 of 16
Congratulations on your purchase. I have the dyson DC 07 animal(I have had it for a few years) and I just love it. I was amazed how much more it actually "sucks" up from the floors..good luck!~
post #3 of 16
I am so jealous!! I want a Dyson so bad! My mom has one and LOVES it!!
post #4 of 16
I don't have many things that will be going on my registry list when J and I get married, but the Dyson vacs are definitely making the list. I want one sooooo badly!
post #5 of 16
I can't remember what model our Dyson is (I think it's a DC14), but it's AWESOME!!!!! Make sure you vacuum with your vacuum cleaner, then vacuum with the Dyson straight after when you get it - it'll blow you away how much extra the Dyson gets, and you'll realise you made the right decision

You may have to empty the canister half way through vacuuming...
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I can't remember what model our Dyson is (I think it's a DC14), but it's AWESOME!!!!! Make sure you vacuum with your vacuum cleaner, then vacuum with the Dyson straight after when you get it - it'll blow you away how much extra the Dyson gets, and you'll realise you made the right decision

You may have to empty the canister half way through vacuuming...
I definitely will do just that.

I do plan to hang on to the old one as it isn't quite dead yet, just in case I need to get into tight areas that the Dyson won't.

ooo, I'm so excited - I can't believe I'm looking forward to vacuuming!
post #7 of 16
I just bought the DC-17 Absolute two weeks ago and OMG I love it!!!! It's amazing!!!

I even took the challenge and vacuumed with my hoover first (twice) and then used the dyson. It was just terrible, I thought my floors were at least clean after I ran the vacuum but NOT!

I thought I would have trouble pushing the dyson, it weighs 21 pounds but it pushes easier than my hoover which is self propelled.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I definitely will do just that.

I do plan to hang on to the old one as it isn't quite dead yet, just in case I need to get into tight areas that the Dyson won't.

ooo, I'm so excited - I can't believe I'm looking forward to vacuuming!
We were vacuuming twice a week when we first got the Dyson because we'd fight about who got to vacuum, so we'd both do it once a week each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snosrap5 View Post
I just bought the DC-17 Absolute two weeks ago and OMG I love it!!!! It's amazing!!!

I even took the challenge and vacuumed with my hoover first (twice) and then used the dyson. It was just terrible, I thought my floors were at least clean after I ran the vacuum but NOT!

I thought I would have trouble pushing the dyson, it weighs 21 pounds but it pushes easier than my hoover which is self propelled.
Isn't it amazing how easy is it to move around?!!?! It's a bit of a pain to lug up and down the stairs, but vacuuming itself is sooooo easy!
post #9 of 16
but how well do they do hardwood floors?

And, what kind of attachments do they come with? Can you get into cracks & crevases? Can you do the couch?
post #10 of 16
I'm jealous. I've always wanted a Dyson. I think most women do. They are amazing. I always borrowed my moms, put it in the car and everything, because it's that awesome.
I can't afford to spend that much on a vacuum though at this point. That's just a crazy amount of money.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
but how well do they do hardwood floors?

And, what kind of attachments do they come with? Can you get into cracks & crevases? Can you do the couch?
I'm so use to sweeping my tile floors that I haven't tried it yet. On mine there is a small button I push that goes from carpet to floors so I know they say it can be done.

As for the attachments, I have everything I had with the hoover plus one other attachment that is bent at an angle to get behind corners. I don't know if I will ever use it but I have it just in case.

I did my furniture, the cat trees and it was a breeze. I don't know about the other brands but the DC-17 has a super longgggggg tube that stretches from one end of my living room to the other!
post #12 of 16
I will be getting one of these when we have a house.

How does it manage on stairs?
post #13 of 16
I want one and they have them at Costco for $469.00 full kit brand new and the DC14 full kit roller is $499.00 ...I looked on e-bay but I didn't want to pay that much for a reconditioned one. They come with a 5 year warranty new.. So I talked my self out of e-bay
post #14 of 16
I have had a Dyson for about 8 years, its a pretty old model (obviously) but I love it.
I rememer when I first got it......I thought my carpets were clean but oh my lord how wrong I was! At one point I actually wondered if it was sucking up next doors carpet dirt too at the speed it filled up, Ugh!!
Clever Mr Dyson. My friend used to work for him here in the UK until he switched his factories across the other side of the world.
Happy vacuuming every one X
post #15 of 16
Dysons are way cool we have just bought one of their dustbusters - you know a hand held one !


its an awesome little fella great for getting cat hairs up and a quick way to have that last whizz around before MIL's arrive highly recommended
post #16 of 16
We don't have hardwood floors, but we do our tiles with it. You just press the button which turns the roller thingy off, and it's fine.

For couches, you pull the hose out, attach the proper attachment to the hose, and vacuum the couch like that - same with stairs. The main part of the vacuum sits at the bottom of the stairs, and you just use the hose with attachment for the stairs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Dudes: I just bought a Dyson DC14 Animal.