Does this make sense?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's currently 51* F here and won't be much above 60, if it gets that high.

Why is the place i work at still running the air?!

The thermostat is outside my office and I keep raising the temp (to 74/75) to keep the air from coming on.
Someone keeps stopping by and setting it back down.
It's seriously not that warm...

Maybe I should put a note on the thermostat that says "Please be considerate for those of us that sit directly under a vent!"

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to tape up the vent at my old office - the cold air would just blow down right on me!

Just say if you get sick it's not your fault!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My work does this all the time! It can be 60 and they will have the air blasting! The coldest spot in the building is my office! I have a space heater under my desk and I live for it, it gets way too cold in here... So I feel your pain!

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our lab is a temperature controlled environment so I get the same cold every day. So much for sleeveless outfits, a lab coat gets thrown over top even in the summer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! I even placed foil over my vent just to tone down the airflow on me.

Normally I do have a sweater here, but they all are in the wash.

We use to have hot cocoa here, but I think I drank the last of it.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should discuss it with the boss. the temp should be set, and then a locked incasement put over so no one can change it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my office... except our thermostat is in the back and I KNOW who changes it. I sit right under a vent but the lady who sits in back is always hot so she's constantly turning it down... even in the winter.

crouchingcheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd rather be a little chilly than too warm. Our boss is always cold, even if it's 90 degrees out. Today it's around 65, but with 12 bodies in one room it gets warm and stuffy pretty quickly. Meanwhile the boss has a blanket over her lap.

I really wish she'd turn the air on, everyone else can put something (sweater, blanket, whatever) on, but I can't really take any off

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrouchingCheese

I'd rather be a little chilly than too warm. Our boss is always cold, even if it's 90 degrees out. Today it's around 65, but with 12 bodies in one room it gets warm and stuffy pretty quickly. Meanwhile the boss has a blanket over her lap.

I really wish she'd turn the air on, everyone else can put something (sweater, blanket, whatever) on, but I can't really take any off
i know what you mean!!!!! our boss caters to the old bitties, and they ALWAYS scream there COLD, so even if its 90 outside, the air is never turned on

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last place I worked at, we had it PERFECT.

The only people that sat in the room most of the day was myself and another girl. We happened to BOTH had it being too cold so we always had the air set to 75.

Personally I get more headaches with air conditioning. Right now I have one...but that could be from my headband...they give me headaches too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

i know what you mean!!!!! our boss caters to the old bitties, and they ALWAYS scream there COLD, so even if its 90 outside, the air is never turned on
This old bitty is always hot so I have a fan at my desk which I use probably more in the winter than the summer. (Wait until y'all get to menopause then you'll be glad of the A/C.
) At least if it's cold you can add clothing, but believe me I can't take much off when I feel faint with the heat. Our house is around 64 degrees at night and I wake covered in sweat, need to remove all covers and go to the bathroom to wash my face and chest. I'd rather have to add a blanket to my bed than wake several times from the heat.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

This old bitty is always hot so I have a fan at my desk which I use probably more in the winter than the summer. (Wait until y'all get to menopause then you'll be glad of the A/C.
) At least if it's cold you can add clothing, but believe me I can't take much off when I feel faint with the heat. Our house is around 64 degrees at night and I wake covered in sweat, need to remove all covers and go to the bathroom to wash my face and chest. I'd rather have to add a blanket to my bed than wake several times from the heat.
Im always cold at work and I am no where near ancient (they keep the air below 65)! I think it is ridiculous to have the air on when it is 65 degrees outside...That is not necessary! I could see 75 but 65...Um no thanks! I will say at night time no matter what time of year I have to have a fan on at all times (and that doesn't help much)... I get bad night sweats. Not sure why? So in that aspect I can sympathize...LOL this guy I work with just walked in my office and said I need to put the air on...LOL yeah buddy its only 55 out! No matter what someone is always going to be unsatisfied with the temp!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have to come down on the side of those who believe in keeping it a little cooler, though certainly those who get too hot should also have fans in their offices, to minimize the need for the AC.

But in the immortal words of Jerry Reed: when you're hot, you're hot!
It's miserable to swelter and get sweaty just sitting still. Also, just because it's cool outside doesn't mean it's cool inside -- indoors, you have the heat of electrical equipment and human bodies building up, plus the greenhouse effect at the windows... it's much warmer indoors than out.

And if you have any ladies there who are menopausal... oh, believe me, their need for cool air is absolutely legitimate! You can't possibly understand it until it happens to you -- but trust me, hot flashes are living hell.

So keep a sweater around... and here's something else that helps:

If you have one of those hanging file folders with the little hooks on the ends, that's ideal, but you can do this with a manila folder, a plastic placemat, almost anything. Just hook four paper clips to the corners of the air vent in your ceiling and hang the file folder from them so that it "catches" the flow of air and directs it out sideways. That way it's not hitting you full blast, and there's no "windchill effect."

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I wear a sweater and up to two everyday... It is too cold in here... Everyone complains about it... Even the warm blooded folks! So Im not being crotchity, i'm being honest... When 100 people are complaining it is too cold that is a "legitimate" issue! The only time things get out of hand is if i leave the heater on under my desk all day it may make people warm... all they have to do is ask me to turn it off and I do so no problem!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing I hate the most though is bringing a wool sweater to work on a day that is 110* with 100% humidity (cause it does get that way).

Of course the office will have the temp at 65-70* and at first it feels good, but then if you're just sitting around at your desk for most of the day, you do get cold. Then if you decide to go outside either leave the wool sweater on or take it off and freeze on your walk out the door

Well I guess the sum of all tales is that you can't please everybody.
Still...the high is set for 70* here and I'm wearing a whole pullover. I learned my lesson!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

The thing I hate the most though is bringing a wool sweater to work on a day that is 110* with 100% humidity (cause it does get that way).

Of course the office will have the temp at 65-70* and at first it feels good, but then if you're just sitting around at your desk for most of the day, you do get cold. Then if you decide to go outside either leave the wool sweater on or take it off and freeze on your walk out the door

Well I guess the sum of all tales is that you can't please everybody.
Still...the high is set for 70* here and I'm wearing a whole pullover. I learned my lesson!
Yep I have to prepare for the day as well! I make sure I bring sweaters to work and make sure i wear a tank top underneath my dress shirts (etc), so once I get out of work I can strip down to clothes that suit the weather outside! I have to do alot more laundry this way!

crouchingcheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My SO and I got an air conditioner for our birthdays. It's in our bedroom, so we don't get charged a fortune with the electric.

Anyway, Dave likes it to be cold at night, about 65. I think it's a perfect temperature, because all he needs to sleep well for the night is a cotton sheet and he's not getting all sweaty. However, I get freeeeeezing, so I sleep like a burrito stuffed into a big fleece blanket. Only my head sticks out (I hate it when my head gets hot), so it works out well for both of us!

It's funny when you walk into the bedroom though, on one half of the bed is a black cotton sheet, and then on the other half is my black horse fleece blanket, looks rather odd.....