Boy or Girl?

lexington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really wanting to get a new kitten and start from scratch on the whole cat experience. I was thinking about getting a female so that (me being male) the bond might be a little stronger.

I know that males spray, do females spray?

What kind of things can i expect down the line for a female cat? Can somone please post some help as to what i can expect from both sexes down the line. Pros and Cons.. ect.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had 2 female and 3 male cats. There are joys to both and I think it is matter of personal choice. Also, if I remember correctly spaying costs more then neutering, so if money is a factor you can take that into consideration. I have found both my male and female cats extremely affectionate, but have found that when my girl Peepers gets "overly stimulated" (eg petting) she gets excited and excretes some fluid out her butt - let a musk scent. But Sugarly never did that. We have never had a problem with spraying with the boys. Just know that no matter what sex you chosse, they will bring much joy to your life!

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
I have 2 cats a brother and a sister both are now 9 months and I have had them since they were about 10 weeks old. To be honest with you I feel really lucky as both of them have really sweet natures and are very easy cats to be around. My last female cat was some what unfriendly (all be it much loved) and I did have reservations getting two! I havent really noticed anything that different between the two of them. Milo was neutered at 5 months and Pepsi at 6 months, I didnt experience any spraying of any kind from the boy. No doubt others will write with different stories but I can honestly say that I dont have a preference for either males or females. Maybe you should get 2, they are great company for each other and there are so many kittens waiting for a good home.
Good luck and let us know what you decide, cant wait to see pics!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lexington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

I have had 2 female and 3 male cats. There are joys to both and I think it is matter of personal choice. Also, if I remember correctly spaying costs more then neutering, so if money is a factor you can take that into consideration. I have found both my male and female cats extremely affectionate, but have found that when my girl Peepers gets "overly stimulated" (eg petting) she gets excited and excretes some fluid out her butt - let a musk scent. But Sugarly never did that. We have never had a problem with spraying with the boys. Just know that no matter what sex you chosse, they will bring much joy to your life!
Male cats leak that stuff as well, found that out the hard way...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lexington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do spayed female cats still come into heat? If so are they hard to deal with?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lexington

Do spayed female cats still come into heat? If so are they hard to deal with?
My spayed girls never went into heat. I think that spaying gets rid of the heat issue.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Originally Posted by Lexington

Male cats leak that stuff as well, found that out the hard way...
Mine never had any "leakage" problems, but Kinah farts when she's very relaxed (and at other times too
)

I have known many cats in the last few years, and I have never known any neutered / spayed cats to spray at all.

With kittens, remember that it can be difficult to know what their personality will be like once they grow up. An adult cat will have a more stable personality. Then again, kittens are fun if you have the patience to put up with their crazyness. From my experience, at 5-6 month old, they're little terrors

Good luck with whatever you choose and feel free to ask any other questions. You'll never run out of useful cat advice around here.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard (but never personally experienced ...) that female cats can be less welcoming to new feline members of the household, so if you intend to have more than one cat, you might want to take that into consideration.

We have two male cats, both neutered; we had originally intended to have one male and one female, but we fell in love with these two at the shelter. I think, rather than deciding in advance what you want, you go to the shelter and let your heart dictate your choice. The biggest difference, as mentioned, is in the cost: it can cost more to have your cat spayed rather than neutered, and some places may charge you more to adopt an altered female rather than a male (because of the cost of spaying versus neutering). Otherwise, every cat is different, and I don't think you can definitively say one sex is better than the other. (Spike and Oz, of course, would beg to differ. Boy-cats are better than girl-cats, or so they say.
)

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had 8 female cats and 10 male cats over the years. The females were always more of loners... They wanted to be by themselves... didn't care about being with other cats.. and would only be around people when *they* wanted to (and they made that quite clear!
) They were divas - attitude and all.

On the other hand... my males were always very affectionate, loved to be pet, would play with each other, cuddle each other... all in all, they were just tons of fun. I've had three lap cats - all of them were males. Even Max who was born a feral and has been one all of his life one day decided he wanted to be a lap cat and jumped in my lap while I was outside.

I've never had a male cat spray, ever. They were all neutered when they were young and that seems to have a lot to do with it - except John Doe who was neutered at 2 years old, but he never sprayed either. Also, the boys were always more accepting of new cats than the girls were.

IMO, I'm all about boy cats and will only actively adopt boys. Tryon is a girl, but she adopted me... so it's a little different... but when I go through the whole adoption process, I will only adopt a boy. I think their personalities are just so much better.

(Note to all girl cats: Don't hate me! I know plenty of people like you better than boys!
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I help people choose the right kitty for them at the local humane society.

Sex doesn't matter. Please do not look for a certain sex, you might look past the purr-fect kitty for you!
Go in there looking for something specific...like if you want a lap cat or not. Choosing to adopt a kitten, there is no way to know what their purr-sonality will be like when they grow up. If you for sure want a lap cat, the only way to guarantee that is to adopt an adult. I encourage people to adopt adults as they get looked over a lot.

Spaying/Neutering is important. Once they are fixed, there is no difference. Males or females can spray for behavioral reasons or if they get a UTI(urinary tract infection-it's painful to pee).

If you do decide for sure that you want a kitten, I suggest two kittens. It will be much easier for both of you. Two kittens have each other to keep company. If you have two, they beat on each other at 3 am, not you!