Latest Kitty Integration Update

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone that cares.

Penny has integrated beautifully. She is still a bit unsure of herself when it comes to getting too close to Ferris and/or Ginger, but they all sit closer and closer to each other. No more growling, just an occassional hiss. There is an interesting triangulation that takes place in the kitchen when I am preparing their suppers at night.

And speaking of supper, Penny is WAY more of a piglet than Ferris is. I didn't know it was possible, but that little tiny Bengal will eat her entire wet then go finish up what Ginger and Ferris have left in their bowls.

Ginger and Ferris like to eat half right away, then come back later to finish their dinners - not anymore. They are already figuring out that if they walk away, there may not be any more dinner left in their bowls to finish when they come back.

Ahhh, gluttony.
Penny has so much muscle, though, that I'm sure her body is processing the food much more rapidly, so she probably needs a higher caloric intake.

She is slowly transitioning her dry food intake to match the other two: they are eating a mix of Royal Canin, Raw Instinct and Serengeti. Low grain, HIGH protein. We are having no poop problems, except that Ferris has some loose stool again, which I think I can now safely chalk up to being related to the flower essences I've been giving him.

Speaking of Ferris, I was able to cut out his worst belly matt the other night without needing to get too close to the skin
so now he has just one bad one that I'm trying to sneak up on.

Maybe I can hold off on having to take him in for a lion cut until his annual visit, then do that at the same time - the least amount of trauma I can put this boy through. He's SUCH a scaredy-cat.

Ginger is being super sweet and hasn't felt usurped by the new girl at all - I'm SO proud of her.
I've been sure to give her lots of extra special love and attention and kisses so that she doesn't feel hurt by the newbie getting attention.

It is funny, though, she'll walk up on me having a belly-rubbing session with Penny, get this disgusted look on her face, make eye contact with me, then walk away.

Penny has picked out all her favorite spots already and is just a complete and total sweetie-pie.
Nial did me right when he suggested that Penny would be the best fit - all three are wonderfully sweet furkids. With the exception of Ferris in his "needy" moments, none of them are lap cats, but they all LOVE to be given special scritches and attention, and they are all three very affectionate in return.

I do have to say, though, that if there ever was a real life "tigger" cat, it has to be the Bengal. I swear, these cats are built with springs inside their legs. I think Penny's nickname is going to be: Boing, boing, boing.

So as we start week two with Penny at home, the fast intros worked out REALLY well, there is no animosity, no fighting whatsoever, and everyone is starting to act like Penny's been a part of our family furever.

Thank you, once again, to Nial, and to all of you at TCS for your support and encouragement and for the knowledge-sharing that I have benefitted so much from here!!!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear things are going well with Penny. It is always so nice to see the other cats accepting the new kitty. When I brought Linus home from the shelter it took about 4 days for him and Sassy to accept each other and now they just love each other, I am sure given some time your little fur-family will feel the same way about each other.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and I meant to ask you, Betsy! Where are the rest of the lot of pictures you are supposed to post for me!!
i want to see more of this beautiful Bengal and her new borther and sister. You know I have a huge soft spot for Bengals!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is indeed heart-warming news. It's so much less stress for us when our babies get on well together.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you know it you won't remember a time that Penny wasn't there. I am glad everything is going so well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Oh and I meant to ask you, Betsy! Where are the rest of the lot of pictures you are supposed to post for me!!
i want to see more of this beautiful Bengal and her new borther and sister. You know I have a huge soft spot for Bengals!!
I'm so sorry - I've been too busy running around collecting boxes and starting to pack up my life for the move next month, so I haven't had the chance to do much in the way of taking pictures. My place is starting to become turned upside down, LOL.

On the bright side, there are lots of places to hide and pounce from, what with walls of boxes everywhere. The kits are having a great time.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'm so sorry - I've been too busy running around collecting boxes and starting to pack up my life for the move next month, so I haven't had the chance to do much in the way of taking pictures. My place is starting to become turned upside down, LOL.

On the bright side, there are lots of places to hide and pounce from, what with walls of boxes everywhere. The kits are having a great time.
I guess that just means you will have to have and extra heavy dose of pics when you get to your new place!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is awesome news.... Look how far you've come Betsy?!
I remember the days a year ago when you weren't sure if Ferris would ever let you hold him, or if Ginger would ever forgive you....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I guess that just means you will have to have and extra heavy dose of pics when you get to your new place!
It's a deal.

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

that is awesome news.... Look how far you've come Betsy?!
I remember the days a year ago when you weren't sure if Ferris would ever let you hold him, or if Ginger would ever forgive you....
I know - it amazes me how far that little boy has come, and my success with all of them has confirmed for me that I am definitely a cat lady.
If I ever had any doubts about having cats as pets, they are all gone now.

Originally Posted by Bella713

That is great Betsy
I'm cracking up at Ginger giving you dirty looks
Considering that her coloring and fur length makes it nearly impossible to discern her features in photos, this little sweetheart is REALLY good at giving dirty looks. Her sweet, kissable face is VERY expressive, and I can tell her entire attitude just by looking at the look on her face. Then by checking her tail signals to make sure I'm right.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know those looks -- my mom's longhaired calitortie, Sassy, is so incredibly affectionate, you just can't say no to her... and my Pearl doesn't like it a bit when she sees me snuggling Sassy. Pearl uses the guilt trip technique, though: big sad eyes, that awww-inducing little head tilt... and then a long, sorrowful gaze at the floor. I end up feeling like such a two-timer!

Have Penny's strength and agility been a problem for you? In our house, I've barely managed to arrange things for relative safety within the limits of our kitties's leaping and climbing abilities... if I brought a Bengal in here, I'm sure nothing would be out of reach anymore!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Have Penny's strength and agility been a problem for you?
So far, no problem whatsoever. I knew what to expect bringing her into the house, and so far I absolutely love watching her move and hop and leap and jump.

Last night she literally soared over me as I sat on the floor scooping out one of the litter boxes. Was that a bird, a plane, Superman? No, it was just Penny the Bengal.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And speaking of supper, Penny is WAY more of a piglet than Ferris is. I didn't know it was possible, but that little tiny Bengal will eat her entire wet then go finish up what Ginger and Ferris have left in their bowls.

Ginger and Ferris like to eat half right away, then come back later to finish their dinners - not anymore. They are already figuring out that if they walk away, there may not be any more dinner left in their bowls to finish when they come back.

Ahhh, gluttony.
Penny has so much muscle, though, that I'm sure her body is processing the food much more rapidly, so she probably needs a higher caloric intake.
It always amazes me just how much Takoda and Magnum can pack away.
They are on a raw diet and dry food. Takoda is exactly how you describe Penny. Small, compact but oh so strong!!!

I do have to say, though, that if there ever was a real life "tigger" cat, it has to be the Bengal. I swear, these cats are built with springs inside their legs. I think Penny's nickname is going to be: Boing, boing, boing.
I love it when they can go from sitting to 5 feet straight up the cat tree. It is so cool!