Eye floaters

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't complain about my vision, but I could care less about these floaters I see all the time. I guess it's sort of like where your digital camera CCD is so good you can see the defects in your objective lens.

Anyone else suffer from floaters? Any tricks on reducing/staving them off? I know once you get them they're there forever.

Anyone here with bad eyes still see floaters? I'm thinking worse vision will make the floaters less visible, but would be a horrible trade-off.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep I have those pesky floaters - they dont bother me most times, but now you've mentioned them, heck !! they are there just skidding around my eyeballs

I haven't got a clue how to change the situation
I do wear glasses but only for reading and working on the PC..........so anyway I'd also be interested to see if anyone else knows !

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I have them but i only notice them when i look at something white but not other times. Apparently moving your eyes up and down moves them. They are like little clumps of jelly inside your eyeball so they move with you when you move your eyes. This is the stuff that keeps the shape of your eye, and it is not harmful. You only need to see a doc if you egt flashes of light.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have quite a few floaters at any given time, little black ones that make me think I'm seeing a swarm of gnats,
larger dark ones that I mistake for birds (when outside of course), bubble looking ones, and silvery ones.

You sort just have to ignore them. For the most part indoor lighting isn't bright enough to make them noticeable unless you're staring at a very light colored wall.

If you've recently had an increase in them have your eyes checked ASAP. Also always take notice if you see any dark areas or flashes in your vision, this can be a sign of bleeding and retinal detachment.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have them too. I asked my eye doctor about them once, I forget the explaination he gave, but he said that it's normal.

However, you should be having yearly eye exams as routine care for your eyes. Next time you go ask your doctor about them.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I get them too especially when I stare at objects that are all one colour--take the nice blue sky, for example. They are annoying but there are worse things that could happen to my eyes.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really really bad vision(nearsighted). I can only read about 4 inches in front of me without my glasses. I always had them. It's true that if they increase or you have flashes of light you should see your eye doctor asap. There is nothing you can do about them. I have seen small black circles when I am really stressed out.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh I have one in my left eye that I always forgt about and then think I have mascara in my eye!
Its not too bad but when I can't find the glob of "mascara" its pretty annoying!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have one in my left eye that likes to show up as a blurry spot when I'm driving at night - I find that I can sometimes make it move out of the way when I look up and then down really quickly.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have quite a few floaters at any given time, little black ones that make me think I'm seeing a swarm of gnats, larger dark ones that I mistake for birds
Me, too. Just as I'm about to say, "Look at the size of that bird!" I realize I'm the only one that sees it.
I've had terrible vision (-1100, but a huge astigmatism) and I've had relatively decent vision (I had Lasik several years ago; one eye is now 20/30, the other stuck at -300 for some reason----certainly makes life interesting). I had the floaters before the Lasik and I still do. I think you're stuck with them.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Me, too. Just as I'm about to say, "Look at the size of that bird!" I realize I'm the only one that sees it.
I've had terrible vision (-1100, but a huge astigmatism) and I've had relatively decent vision (I had Lasik several years ago; one eye is now 20/30, the other stuck at -300 for some reason----certainly makes life interesting). I had the floaters before the Lasik and I still do. I think you're stuck with them.
You read my mind. I was just about to ask if anyone had Lasik and if they still have floaters. Oh that would stink IMO for me. I prefer not being able to see them clearly.

When I tried to quit smoking and was at the 8 hour mark I was seeing the black spots. Scared the living daylights out of me. DH immediately ran and got me a carton of cigs.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

You read my mind. I was just about to ask if anyone had Lasik and if they still have floaters. Oh that would stink IMO for me. I prefer not being able to see them clearly.
Yep - they're still here - not any more in focus, but still here. That is because they are floating around inside the eye.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, floater city here!
More pronounced when I'm very tired or stressed, but mostly just a nuisance.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Yeah I get them too especially when I stare at objects that are all one colour--take the nice blue sky, for example. They are annoying but there are worse things that could happen to my eyes.
Mine looks like a little bug. I actually didn't know this was a common thing since everyone I have ever mentioned it to had never heard of it.