Wild cat attacking...

asdufihf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a problem here...
A wild cat is fighting my cats through my windows. My cats are chilling in the window all peaceful enjoying the breeze and this homeless cat rolls up and cats like it can cause a beef with my cats. This has been goin on for a couple months now, only recently I have been seeing this cat during the day. I always wondered why they were crying at night, running from the windows, and holes in my screen.

I been watchin this cat and I called the animal cops on it, but noone can catch it and frankly, they don't care. Anyways, I saw it chillin on my porch today hissin at my cat who was just sitting in the window doing nothing. How can I get rid of this cat? What are my options here? I've tried catching it a couple times myself with no luck. I know its wild since its been here for a few months, it's skinny as a twig, walks with a tail down, and runs from humans.

I don't need my property or my cats harmed cause some homeless, probably rabies infested cat wants to cause some beef. A main concern is that this cat does got rabies and will end up gettin into my house after it rips my screens open. Then I got some real problems.

There isn't room for a family addition either...
Thanks.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would say get a humane trap, trap it with some smelly wet food as bait, and then bring the cat to a shelter.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A main concern is that this cat does got rabies

No way it has rabies, it's probably just a tom cat who is very territorial and sees your cats as intruders, and it's mating season and warm out, so after shedding their winter coats and not eating as much because their busy looking for females, they lose a little weight right now and look alot slimmer. He's probably feral and thats why he is skinny because he doesnt eat much, not because he has rabies.

Usually cats wont get that aggressive, but it's not unheard of.

You could try cat repellent. Going to the shelter would mean death for a feral cat but its up to you.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by asdufihf

I have a problem here...
A wild cat is fighting my cats through my windows. My cats are chilling in the window all peaceful enjoying the breeze and this homeless cat rolls up and cats like it can cause a beef with my cats. This has been goin on for a couple months now, only recently I have been seeing this cat during the day. I always wondered why they were crying at night, running from the windows, and holes in my screen.

I been watchin this cat and I called the animal cops on it, but noone can catch it and frankly, they don't care. Anyways, I saw it chillin on my porch today hissin at my cat who was just sitting in the window doing nothing. How can I get rid of this cat? What are my options here? I've tried catching it a couple times myself with no luck. I know its wild since its been here for a few months, it's skinny as a twig, walks with a tail down, and runs from humans.

I don't need my property or my cats harmed cause some homeless, probably rabies infested cat wants to cause some beef. A main concern is that this cat does got rabies and will end up gettin into my house after it rips my screens open. Then I got some real problems.

There isn't room for a family addition either...
Thanks.
It's probably just an unneutered male who is trying to find a mate. I would trap the cat and take it to be neutered. Oftentimes, neutering a cat will address the unwanted behaviors...fighting, spraying etc.

If history is any indication, this cat does NOT have rabies....only a very small number of rabies cases have ever been reported.

Katie

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably just an unneutered male who is trying to find a mate. I would trap the cat and take it to be neutered. Oftentimes, neutering a cat will address the unwanted behaviors...fighting, spraying etc.

If history is any indication, this cat does NOT have rabies....only a very small number of rabies cases have ever been reported.

I agree 100%

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Contact a local rescue group. See if they can help trap the cat.
They might loan you a trap also. If it is truly feral, maybe a rescue group knows of a colony it can be released to after spay/neuter.
If he's not truly feral, and is just scared, he may be able to be socialized and adopted. A no-kill shelter might be able to help with that. My friend found a semi-feral boy, trapped him, neutered him, and has made him a pampered house cat.
He may never be a lap cat, but he loves to sit with people and be petted and brushed. A little time and patience can allow a lot of cats to become good pets.

Please help him. If he becomes a nuisance to the wrong people, he could be poisoned, shot or abused.

Devlyn

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree also...trap him and find a NO-KILL shelter..they will neuter him...that will tame him a bit. I have a semi-ferel that I got from a no-kill shelter on March 1st, it is June and he is still a little timid, but he will let you pet him and scratch his butt..when he wants you to..we still cannot approach him..he will run. He is only 6 months old and is bigger than my 1 year old and 3 yr old cat...he is gonna be huge...its the orange tabby in the pics (Tyler is his name) I am a cat-lover and even the wild ones deserve a chance..!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catless_for_now

Is there any way to take a feral cat into your home and try and socialize it?
Oh yes. It is usually fully possible, although it often takes time, patience and some effort.
It helps much if you know how to do it.

this will be easier after he is spayed.

Shy ferals are often easiest, as they are usually easy to become pals with homecats = almost half the job done.
Such a one not so shy and revire-minded tomcat of course dont get as easy pal with the other cats. Can often beat them up, only the most docile cats are usually/often spared.
But with time, when emptied of his hormones...

The problem is of course to find such a fosterhome.
If none found...

TNR may be a solution though. After spaying he will be less aggressive and lesser revire-minded, and not pissing everywhere, and thus much lesser nuisance than now.