Prayers for Mattie (our Boxer) at the cardiologist tomorrow, please...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mattie has a heart condition (aortic stenosis) and until this weekend, you'd never know it- she has been right as rain. But Saturday, she had (what I call) a "falling out" spell (the cardiologist nurse called it something else, I can't remember- it's late...) where she collapsed for a few minutes, and it took her about an hour to totally get over it (gums stayed pink, however).
Tomorrow we have an appointment with the cardiologist to make sure that she is okay, and have her reevaluated (she was doing great in Nov.).

We also found out that she has a mild load of heartworms back in Nov. (had 2 false negative hw tests since we had her, and has been on hw meds the entire time we have had her) that we are waiting out (they take about 2 years to die off) because of her heart and thyroid condition. I am hoping that it was just the heartworms dying off that caused the problem, and that that will be it.

Prayers for a good report would be greatly appreciated!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! I hope she is ok. I will definately send vibes her way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone! Her appointment is right after lunch- I'll let you know how it goes!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we're back, and the news is not good
. The walls of her heart have thickened considerably (much more than her cardiologist expected) and she has started a second heart med. If she gets to coughing, we get to add lasix to her meds. She changed her prognosis from a normal lifespan to (hopefully) a lifespan of 5-7 years, but it is possible that she might not make it more than a year if her heart continues to deteriorate at this rate.
I am so disappointed- but when we adopted her, we knew it could happen, and were prepared (as one can be) for hearing bad news. It's just a little shocking since she was doing so exceptionally well 9 months ago.

She is such a good girl (even her cardiologist said today that boxers are sweet dogs, but Mattie is the sweetest one she has met). My dh did remind me today that even if she doesn't make it a year, she has had a really good life, so much better than if we didn't take her in from the humane society (our pets are loved and spoiled
) and she has had a great time playing with our daughter, sleeping on the couch, and being buffed by the cats.

If you think of her, please pray that this new med works. Thanks everyone.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear the news wasnt "good" news!!! I will keep Mattie in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope this med will help her out!!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!
I am hoping and praying for the best...

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so hoping the news would be better, and am praying that the new mediine will make a differences. I have a soft spot in my heart for Boxers since my first dog was a Boxer.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless her!! I will definitely keep her in my prayers!
Do ask your vet about a combo of prednisone .5mg and doxycycline (probably 500mg for her size)- that might help her!!!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Nikki- she did give her a new med, let's see...Benajopnil? Benajopril? Hmmm...can't read the writing...20 mg. I think there are certain meds they can and can't use with her heart condition, but thanks for the suggestion- I'll ask when I talk to them
. She's already on atenolol and Soloxine. My word- between me (at least 8 different meds a day), Mattie (now 3 different meds a day) and Bird (thyroid med), we are a (legal!) pill popping family
And none of them are the good stuff even-lol Good grief!