Hardest decision of my life!!!! Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is the story:
So far I am 3 months pregnant my baby is due in december, at the moment we live in a one bedroom apartment and I will admit that it is small!! I have a pitbull who is 60 pounds, and 3 cats whom I love very very much. My boyfriend came to me and suggested that we get rid of the two cats (King and Prince) because of the fact that they are terrors, they wreck everything in my house, they knock everything off the tables computer desk and the mantle above the tv. I love them a lot and realize that they possible do that because they are bored and live in such a small area. The reason why I wouldnt get rid of Princess is because of the fact she is in her own little world and doesnt do anything, she is super laid back. Here are the options that my boyfriend suggested that we should do:

1. Let King and Prince outside and they can become outside cats. Only one problem I live by a high way and I would worry day and night about them. My back yard is also very big and suggested to him that I make some kind of huge kennel for them and they could come in at night time, but at the same time, they shouldnt be caged up. I also thought that if I let them out I could some how train them to only stay in our fenced in back yard, but how would I go about that??

2. I could find King and Prince a good home and let them go to a place where I know they will have the room to run around and do as they want, but I dont know know any body that is looking for a cat let alone two cats.

See why its hard for me? I love my animals very much and I know that once the baby is here its just going to be too much for us. To live in a one bedroom apartment with a dog 3 cats and a newborn oh and not to mention we also have a saltwater fish tank!!

I will appreciate any advice that any body could give. what would you guys do. who would do what and why would you make that decision??

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the pregnancy!
I could never live with myself if I made the first decision. I would highly consider looking for a new home. Are you sure the dog has nothing to do with the behavior of the cats? My first thought was getting rid of the dog. Maybe someone else who has more experience can help you out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get a bigger place???

A one bedroom for two adults and one baby isnt big enough ....

I would if you need to find homes call the local rescues and get on there list of IN NEED of adoption

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I could never live with myself if I made the first decision. I would highly consider looking for a new home. Are you sure the dog has nothing to do with the behavior of the cats? My first thought was getting rid of the dog. Maybe someone else who has more experience can help you out.
thanks!! No we have had the cats before the dog and they have always been crazy I dont get it must be something in the air

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Can you get a bigger place???

A one bedroom for two adults and one baby isnt big enough ....

I would if you need to find homes call the local rescues and get on there list of IN NEED of adoption
A bigger place is in mind but we are waitng for them to move out, lol and that would be until after the baby is born. I will deff look into the local rescues and see about the list although its sad for me to do!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I could never live with myself if I made the first decision. I would highly consider looking for a new home. ... My first thought was getting rid of the dog. ...
same here

Finding a suitable home for both of them will take some time, so if you are going to give them up, I would start looking ASAP

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know anyone that would take them in just until you get in a bigger place? I would hate to have to get rid of any of my babies, but then again I'm not expecting a baby right now. It does sound like you have your hands full. For right now though, I think the idea of an outdoor run is a good one! They aren't that hard to build and if it's big enough they won't think of it as a cage, more of a play ground!

Good luck, and congrats on the baby!!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't vote for option 2, because it's just so sad, but I vote definitely not option 1. Even people who are okay with outdoor cats would say that once a cat is an adult it isn't the best idea to go from indoor to outdoor, especially by a highway, especially in an apartment.

Is the concern about the baby and space? If you are moving to a bigger place once your baby (congrats!) is born, won't it solve the problem?

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I can't vote for option 2, because it's just so sad, but I vote definitely not option 1. Even people who are okay with outdoor cats would say that once a cat is an adult it isn't the best idea to go from indoor to outdoor, especially by a highway, especially in an apartment.

Is the concern about the baby and space? If you are moving to a bigger place once your baby (congrats!) is born, won't it solve the problem?
I was wondering the same thing, I just couldnt bear to do either!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for building an outdoor enclosure. Don't think of it as a cage, it's an enclosure. I am planning on building one when I get a house. Lots of people have them. It isn't a big deal for the cats and that way they will be safe.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some members here who have outdoor enclosures in their backyards - if you're backyard is big, then I would think that creating a screened in "patio" of sorts might be nice for both the cats and you. In addition, how much play time do you give them? It may be that adding an extra 30 minutes or hour of hardcore play time will really calm them down.

How old are the cats? I don't remember from your previous posts...its possible that they'll slow down and mellow some with age if they're still really young. But of course, that might not help you so much now. If its just that they're young and active, playtime might help.

I know its a hard decision, but in the end, you'll do what's right for your family, and for you cats. We know you love them, and that you will try and find the best home for them - whether that's by making changes in your own home or finding them somewhere else to live.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't vote, because I don't think either are responsible decisions. I'm a firm believer that once you adopt a pet it is yours for life. Just like a child, you wouldn't get rid of it just because of a difficult time. I'm sure if you really wanted to there's a way to make keeping the kitties work. Where there's a will there's always a way.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't vote for either one........to many what ifs.
If you do put them outside,since they have always been inside, then an enclosure is a MUST!!
If you can't do the enclosure, then a new home is the only thing to do for their safety.
Blaze is an outside cat.....but she was born outside and for the most part has been outside.She doesn't leave our yard and at night, goes into the Garage.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I didn't vote, because I don't think either are responsible decisions. I'm a firm believer that once you adopt a pet it is yours for life. Just like a child, you wouldn't get rid of it just because of a difficult time. I'm sure if you really wanted to there's a way to make keeping the kitties work. Where there's a will there's always a way.
I'm sorry, but I DO NOT agree!!!! There ARE things in life that can NOT be helped.Your post was a little harsh IMO
My son(6 years old) just had surgury for Pleural Effusion on April 18th.We had Blaze in the house sometimes UNTIL we were told that my son's health was at stake.I'm sorry, I love my animals, but my skin kids will ALWAYS come first.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why not get a bigger place? I would not under ANY circumstances make King and Prince outside cats.. rehome them if you have to but please do NOT make them outside cats until the baby is born.
It would not be fair to King and Prince at all if you make them outside cats until the baby is born.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, IMO, the only viable option there is to build an enclosure for them to live in. Honestly, they're better off in the enclosure. It'll be a pain to find them good homes, esp. since it's kitten season.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give them up completely, seeing how you love them so much. I say build a safe enclosure for them (and bring them inside when the weather gets nasty out), and do not let them freely roam around outside, as it could very possibly lead to heartbreak! Since you will be getting a bigger place after the baby is born, then they won't be there for long, and maybe you could bring it with you when you get a bigger place so they have someplace fun to act crazy. The next best thing would be to ask someone to "catsit" them until you get the bigger place, promising that you'll pay all the expenses.

Tricia

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody for the advice I will try to answer everyones question right now.
As for finding someone to cat sit until we get the bigger place is kinda hard because of the fact all of our famil and friends have animals and we already tried asking them and they just cant do it

As for building an enclosure out side, I think that is going to be my best bet, because of the fact I do love them and I dont want to just push them off onto some one else. Some people mentioned that they have enclosures of there own? does any one have any pics?? I have never done this so some ideas would be awesome!

And as for moving, thats something we arent going to do for a while. one is because there are people living there, even tho we kno them im sure it wont hurt to ask them to hurry up hehe

Someone asked about how old Prince and King are. Prince is almost 2 been a terror since day one lol. King is i think no more them 7 months. I do play with them, altho I guess its not enough so I will play with them more and hopefully that will stop them from being terrors!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest you search the forums - use the word "enclosure". I know hissy and jcribbs have had threads on theirs.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I am sorry some of you feel that was harsh but that is also what I believe. I am glad you like the enclosure idea and I hope this is what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.