new baby!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
oneof the ferals' kittens is really teeny & looked very poorly over the last couple of days, so i took her in this evening. she's a patched tabby, i think - her coloration is a bit muddy-looking, so i'm not positive. i'll try to get pix & post some in a few days. she's much smaller than the others, but she's able to eat both dry & wet food - should i still get KMR for her? i have no idea how old she is... probably take her to the vet tomorrow. her neck is about the diameter of my thumb! anyway, just thought i'd let you guys know! BTW, her name is Firefox.
Cable & Chip are none too happy about this...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations, Laureen! Firefox sounds like a little doll-baby, and I'm so glad you took her in.

If you do get the KMR, get a small container first. I found out the hard way with Ophelia, who I thought was too itty bitty to eat solid food. She absolutely refused to drink any KMR and wouldn't eat any food mixed with KMR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Congratulations, Laureen! Firefox sounds like a little doll-baby, and I'm so glad you took her in.

If you do get the KMR, get a small container first. I found out the hard way with Ophelia, who I thought was too itty bitty to eat solid food. She absolutely refused to drink any KMR and wouldn't eat any food mixed with KMR.
good suggestion. i've got her set up in the bathroom, & she'd eaten her wet food twice that i know of & drunk some water & pooped. haven't seen pee, yet, but she may not have had any fluid to spare. she's a real loudmouth! Cable's keeping a watch right outside the door whenever Firefox is in there. she's been out with me a couple of times, but she settles down pretty quickly in there if i leave here. her doughnut bed is on a heating pad, & there are 2 stuffed kittens in there with here - 1 is bigger than she is, but the other is close to her size. the bigger one is similar in size to some of the ones outside that run away from me. she's not able to run that fast, tho.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just make sure you get her FeLV tested when you take her to the vets! I know I probably don't have to tell you that, but will anways.

Does she have all her teeth in? Teeth come in at 4-6 weeks....I'm trying to remember now. If she can potty on her own.....I dunno. I'd guess at least 6 weeks because of behaviors you just told us about.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Just make sure you get her FeLV tested when you take her to the vets! I know I probably don't have to tell you that, but will anways.

Does she have all her teeth in? Teeth come in at 4-6 weeks....I'm trying to remember now. If she can potty on her own.....I dunno. I'd guess at least 6 weeks because of behaviors you just told us about.
well, she doesn't use the little mini 'litterbox' i created for her, but she's never seen one before, so that's not unusual. she's awfully unsteady on her feet, but she's pretty sickly looking, so that might be why. i looked at her mouth, & she's got teeth - they're pretty little, but so is she! id' guess she weighs less that a pound. i haven't tried to weigh her - i';ll let them do that at the vets. how early can they test?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They can test at 4 weeks. Actually depends on if they can get any blood. Trust me, it's tough to test them that young. Or if they're really little. I did some tiny kittens & oh my god it was awful! Had to keep poking them over & over....

It is possible that she's only 4 weeks, but if she's eating the wet food, I wonder if she's a little older. It's likely she's the poor runt of the litter & would've died if you hadn't taken her in.

Figaro's teeth are pretty tiny. But, they've all came through completely. Little teeth are so cute in a little kitty mouth.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

It is possible that she's only 4 weeks, but if she's eating the wet food, I wonder if she's a little older. It's likely she's the poor runt of the litter & would've died if you hadn't taken her in.
that's the impression i got, watching them. they're all still nursing, some, & the mamas let them, but she had lots of difficulty getting nipple time, poor baby.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg Laureen, she sounds like such a sweetie!
Bless you for taking her in.... I can't wait to see pics.
Can you carry her around in a pocket while your home? They like to feel you breathe & hear your heart beat, that's what I've read anyway, and Leo was always comforted being in my shirt.
She sounds tiny & young.... From the size of her neck I'd guess less than 6 wks....

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
back from the vet's! they said about 4 weeks. gave me some ointment for her eyes, & took a skin scraping of her bald spots, did a fecal & wormed her. she has a follow-up in 2 weeks, & i also got some kmr there - we'll see if she likes it. oh, i got a free bag of SD kitten food, a free revolution treatment [but she doesn't have fleas] & a free heartworm/roundworm pill [but they already wormed her at the vet's] as part of a 'kitten pack'. so she's got her own kibble for now!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait to see some pictures of that little girl! She sounds so very sweet. Are you planning on keeping her or are you just fostering till you find her a home?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

I can't wait to see some pictures of that little girl! She sounds so very sweet. Are you planning on keeping her or are you just fostering till you find her a home?
well, since i've already spent $60+ on her, i think i'll keep her unless the others just can't accept her at all.
BTW, pix here!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
she used her litterbox to poop!
i refilled it with WBCL, since she has a slight tendency to sample it
& also i can flush that. but i'm leaving her poops, etc. in there for now for smell purposes. poopy dance time!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, we have pooped in the box, but we're still peeing on the floor
i soaked it up with a square of toilet paper & put the paper in the box. we'll see what happens tonight when she's alone. gotta go for now - she's out for snuggles & climbing all over me & the keyboard - makes it hard to type!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

she used her litterbox to poop!
i refilled it with WBCL, since she has a slight tendency to sample it
& also i can flush that. but i'm leaving her poops, etc. in there for now for smell purposes. poopy dance time!
Yaaay! I am so glad to hear that! I hope the others will learn to love her. Have any of them seen her yet or been near her?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

Yaaay! I am so glad to hear that! I hope the others will learn to love her. Have any of them seen her yet or been near her?
yes, but none of them are too thrilled [understatement!]. today the baby gate went up, so they can look in & see her whenever they want. just another step... she can't leave the bathroom yet, tho, because she doesn't use her box when unsupervised. if i'm there when she gets the urge, i can put her in, & she'll dig around, but during the night she just goes on the floor. luckily, i have all linoleum-type floors thruout the house, but i'd just as soon keep any 'messes' confined to the bathroom as long as possible. she's still too inept to escape by climbing the baby gate, so i think that'll work for now.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, we are making great strides around here! Firefox is only shut away at night, when i can't watch over her. she's using her box pretty well for poop, but still peeing on the newspapers or floor
many fewer hisses today - the others still won't go too near her, but they don't seem as convinced that they must hiss & growl at her whenever she appears. Pixel actually sniffed noses with her a couple of times!
her eyes are looking pretty normal now, but she's still very thin. she also had a bath yesterday evening, so she's a sweet-smelling girl now!