Lets talk about Cats....

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today I was sitting here at work bored, as usual, and decided to browse TCS to see what kind of articles I could find to read
I figure there are a lot of new members, new cat owners, and just a lot of cat lovers on here that would appreciate a good conversation about CATS! There are so many articles on TCS, but sometimes it's just fun to hear from other cat lovers! I was inspired to start this thread after reading this article here on TCS:

Cats As Individuals:
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/1...dividuals.html

My PHX is the most unique cat I have EVER met! I'm not just saying that either, he is seriously different (in a good way)! Not only will PHX play fetch, follow me around the house, talk in 1000 different meow's, head butt me not only during the day but also at night when I'm sleeping, and he is the most laid back cat ever! He's got a personality for sure! I once heard that siamese cats bond with one person.... well PHX will bond with anyone! Even if he doesn't know you, he loves you! He will let anyone come up and rub his belly, pet him, pick him up, or do whatever you want. He loves the attention, he craves it! He will sit at the door and WAIT for us to bring him outside and sit on the patio. It's not that he wants to be outside, it's that he wants to be outside with US! I love him!

Since we're on the subject of cats, you should take this quiz if you get a chance. My personality match: Abyssinian

http://cats.about.com/cs/gamespuzzle...tkind1intr.htm

So, the whole reason I started this thread is to not only talk about cats, but also what makes your cat who he/she is? What is your cats personality? What weird behavior does your cat do? Let's talk about CATS!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an interesting mix in my house. Because most of them came from a single feral colony, I have the added dimension of watching how closely their behaviors align with each other because many of them are genetically related.

The oddest cats that live with me are the 3 that were orphaned young and bottle fed. DH and I were their "momma" and there are things that they do that the others don't. Absolutely trusting of any human, very little self control, and very demanding when they want something. They take these 3 traits to an extreme.

The interesting twist to my orphans: I live with 2 orphans from a litter of 4 and my best friend adopted the other 2 from that litter. Even though we separated them at 5 weeks old (she wanted to finish bottle feeding them to bond with them), and they live 600 miles apart, they have so many similarities in their behaviors. The article you referred to mentioned a study related to behavior and genetics. I can absolutely vouch that genetics play a very strong role in behavior, even a litter broken up at a young age and raised in totally different environments will behave like each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I can absolutely vouch that genetics play a very strong role in behavior, even a litter broken up at a young age and raised in totally different environments will behave like each other.
Oh, I totally agree!

But one thing that I always wonder is... what kind of a life PHX had before he met me?!!? I got him from a family that had like 7 cats, the lady just had 1 too many cats she said- so she chose to get rid of PHX. This lady had originally adopted him from the Phoenix Animal Shelter.

I have a lot of questions unanswered. PHX is the greatest cat in the world- why did someone bring him to the animal shelter? Where did he live before there? I wonder how he was treated? I can obviously tell by his behavior that he's had a good life so far, but I just always wish a diary came along with him! I feel that maybe he didn't get enough attention before he moved in with me, and now that he's the only cat his true behavior comes out. The lady that had PHX before didn't have him for very long, I wonder what the real reason was that she got rid of him
I always thought that since he went from location to location to location that he would feel insecure and scared that I would soon get rid of him... but he's a very happy cat! I feel maybe he is the way he is because of genetics!

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only messed with Zoe for a limited time, but I can already tell she is so unique!

Like I was thinking "Why can't she be more like Chrissie?" who is her own age but logically her aunt. Chrissie and Rose are so laid back and sweet. You pick them up and they curl up in the palm of your hand. I would have no trouble sleeping with them! And then I thought... "They're sweet and I'd love to keep one inside, but Zoe is so full of character!" She is! She is so demanding, and she'll do something totally crazy and weird, and then suck up to you to get you to forgive her. She is so sweet and funny and just amazes me! She has the most incredible personality and though she can be sweet, can be a totally self-centered-bratty-Princess! And then she just curls up in your neck and purrs in your ear, whispering sweet nothings into your ear so you'll forgive her...

I love her so much!

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well the most interesting thing about Givi is that he smells like croutons
he likes cuddling so much that sometimes it is impossible to get "rid" of him
when i come home, first half an hour he sits on my shoulders/hands and makes funny noises, smells my face and licks my chin
he is adorable! also, he is the smartest cat ive ever known, couple of days ago i bought him a harness and a leash, i put it on him and he acted like he was wearing this thing all his life!
he understands that he has to go where i go and he acts like trained cat (although he's been never trained for harness and leash). there are crazy moments too of course, when he plays he forgets about everything and jumps
, runs
, BITES like a wild cat! yeah and the most important thing is that he didnt spoil a single chair in the house! he likes to use jeans and backpacks for sharping his claws instead
he is one of a kind

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the quiz. I'm pleased to report that I made Bengal! Whoot! I didn't want long hair on account of hairballs.

Everyone in my house is off the wall. Kit is the boss unless Hemmy decides he wants to pester her. I could go on for hours...

I guess what stands out the most is that we have 3 cats and a dog. We're constantly teasing and picking on each other. Hemmy's the best at it. The cats get us, we get them, they get each other and the dog runs around with a stuffed cow in her mouth and barks. Yes, both at the same time.

It's never, ever, ever dull around here. That's just the way I like it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I took the quiz. I'm pleased to report that I made Bengal! Whoot! I didn't want long hair on account of hairballs.

Everyone in my house is off the wall. Kit is the boss unless Hemmy decides he wants to pester her. I could go on for hours...

I guess what stands out the most is that we have 3 cats and a dog. We're constantly teasing and picking on each other. Hemmy's the best at it. The cats get us, we get them, they get each other and the dog runs around with a stuffed cow in her mouth and barks. Yes, both at the same time.

It's never, ever, ever dull around here. That's just the way I like it!
Do you think you could show us a video of this
Especially when the dog is running around with a stuffed cow in her mouth barking!
I'll be waiting for that video!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me

well the most interesting thing about Givi is that he smells like croutons
OK, I gotta ask. How did you come to this conclusion?
For the life of me, I can't begin to wrap my brain around this one.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is unique in that he's a bit insane. I stupidly left him in the sitting room with boxes of left over pizza last night, so got up to go and rescue the pizza to find him with his head in the box salivating. Now that's not so odd. But when he saw me he raced over, leapt up at me, and bit me in the thigh. I do think that he is a cat that other people would find difficult to love. His behaviour is just awful. We love him though.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've fallen totally in love with Harry in the space of a week. He loves chewing my feet and trouser legs and he has a fascination with the kitchen blinds! He got his head stuck in a crevice that I didn't even know existed yesterday but thankfully he got out again and we blocked it up. When he wants attention he gives the sweetest little miaow. Love being able to chat about him to fellow cat fans!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly and Polly are sisters and are very different. They are both wonderful.
Molly is the more thoughtful one. She is regal and sensitive and extremely smart. She is not constantly on me like Polly is but she's very affectionate. She loves to come over to me and knead me. Sometimes she will just come sit on my stomach and purr while I am reading. A lot of time she actually sits on my book. She's playful and loves playing with string and her sister. She likes to fall asleep on my hip while I am sleeping. She's a very gentle spirit. One thing about her is that she has the teeniest meow. It's like I have to turn down the fan and think "Did someone make a noise?" Once in a while she makes a meow that actually is audible, though.
We had to put baby locks on our cupboards because she can open them! She loves to sleep in and sneak into the bath tub.
She also loves to curl up under the wooden computer monitor riser.
She is such a special girl. She was also the only blue point in a litter with 3 other seal points.

Polly is the silly one. She is true to her Siamese roots and very vocal. She meows all the time and talks to me when she wants anything or if she just feels like talking. Her meow is the opposite of Molly- it's quite demanding.
She is so soft- the softest cat I have ever felt. Polly always wants to be on my lap or at my feet.
She's like a noodle.
She goes flat when she lies down and when I hold her she is so relaxed she can flop over and hang.
She loves to play. She has a lot of toys and ribbons and things but her favorite things is a string. It's the string that's used to hang the scratch pad from the doorknob. I don't use it so I play with it with her. She goes crazy over it and will sit next to it then come over to me and just meow loudly trying to get me to play with her. Sometimes she will sit and hang over the back of the kitchen chairs and play with her own tail. She pounces on it when it sneaks up on her.

If I imitate a meow to her she will talk right back. We can do that for a long time! She responds to her name and comes running.
A family friend was trying to find homes for her young kittens and we went and picked out Molly. Then we were thinking about Polly for a week. We decided to go back and get her. No one wanted her but I sure did!
Both of them are wonderful- perfect in their own ways.
And they both have a habit of stepping on my keyboard and messing up posts, or signing me offline, etc. LOL.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that can really describe Enzo is his capability to problem solve. His smarts really get him into trouble!!! Just the other day I wanted to test his problem solving skills and put his favorite toy on top of our open bedroom door. He pushed the door and it hit the computer desk, he jumped on the desk, tried to get his toy but the door moved away from the desk when he put his paw on it. Then he jumped down, pushed the door almost closed, jumped on our dresser, then ontop of the fish tank and got his toy down. I was completely amazed!!!!

Our baby girl Leya is special because we saved her from the pound and when we got her spayed she went blind. We love her to death and she is so dependant upon us and loving to all people!!! Blind cats are just amazing. You would never know she was blind unless we told you. You would probably think it was odd that she doesn't jump on things as often as normal cats do!!! She's really an amazing kitty!

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

OK, I gotta ask. How did you come to this conclusion?
For the life of me, I can't begin to wrap my brain around this one.
umm..what do you mean?
well..i smelled him, compared his smell to the smell of croutons, and decided that he smells just like croutons!